Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Cape Free Superhero

Today was spent resting, continuing to recover from the virus that struck our family this weekend.  Out of sheer curiosity I got on the scale this morning and I was in the 135 range.  I know that's fake weight loss from being sick.  But that number inspired me to skip my normal "healthy" breakfast and eat one of the waffles Miguel made the kids for breakfast.  For lunch I had leftover chicken soup.  My stomach is still on the queasy side and I feel pretty weak but at least I seem to be freed from the worst of it.

So Mark sent me the picture for the ad.  As I said before, he called me into his office at the gym this past Wednesday.  I was having a rough day and he could see when I walked in that I wasn't my normal self.  I told him I was going through some personal stuff and he was nice enough to just let me be what I needed to be in that moment.  He then suggested I take a deep breath to center myself before he showed me the ad.  He's an enlightened type guy like that.  So I sat there, eyes closed, and took a deep breath.  I opened my eyes and he set his ipad down in front of me to show me this.


I looked at the picture, I read the headline, and I burst into tears.  I can't tell you how much this means to me.  More than I could describe here.  I had to keep looking at the picture.  Is that me?  Or some beautified version of me?   The skin on my face is not quite that perfect, and my hair is a little less gray than in real life, but otherwise, he didn't photoshop anything.  Wow, that really is me.  And a cape free superhero?  I was speechless.  Speech. less.  Of course I recovered enough to thank him and he was so wonderfully reassuring, "You created this, you earned it."

It's going up in the form of a poster in the gym in February.  I'm going to be famous!  Ha ha.  I look so NOT like this when I go to the gym, no make-up, hair back in a headband, and not in these all-black superhero duds.  Though I might have to start dressing like this all the time.  Once the poster is up I'll (of course) have to take a picture of me next to it to share, ideally with Mark too [update: done!] for the blog.  He's been so supportive and encouraging, as has been the staff there.  You might not think a gym can make a difference in someone's life but this gym has made a difference in mine.  It's like my second home, and I am so grateful for their support. 

So this seals the deal, I'm going to dress up as a superhero next Halloween.  Probably Batgirl because she wears all black.  Anyway, I'm tempted to frame this picture and put it up in my house.  Whenever I'm feeling doubtful about my ability to handle something, I'll just take a peek at this and be reminded, I can do it.  Yep, that's me in that picture, and I am capable, competent, confident and though I'm cape free, I have all the super powers I need to handle whatever comes.

27 comments:

  1. Totally amazing and inspiring! And Mark is right... This is your hard work, your creation! You should be so, so proud :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin. I am feeling a bit more puffed up these days. And though I did work hard for this, I'm also feeling a bit lucky. Thank you for the cheers!!

      Delete
  2. Michelle, this is amazing! Actually, you kind of are my hero these days. You really are a big inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to help inspire you Sheryl. And you have all you need to reach your goals. You are still at it, still learning, still writing. You are finding your way, just as I found my way. It's not an easy journey but the reward is there if you keep at it. You have so very much to gain from this process, and so much to let go of. I am honored to be even a small part of your journey and enjoy watching your progress.

      Delete
  3. I burst into tears too! You. Are. Beautiful. And a superhero. And of course you have to hang this up at home. What an example for Myra, and the guys too. You can accomplish anything with a goal and hard work. Love you Michelle. You are such a great motivator and I'm so glad Mark honored you this way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy. You have been there from the beginning cheering me on. Heck, you even cheered me on the first go 'round back in the mid 90's! No relapse this time though, I've really changed. And I plan to keep changing, and growing, from here on out :)

      Delete
  4. You rock! 'Nuf said!!! Ditto what Sheryl said. You are my inspiration and mentor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darla! I love helping to inspire people. It's my favorite thing these days. And if you ever need support, advice, etc, feel free to email me at michelle.my.bell at gmail.com

      Delete
  5. I LOVE IT! That is an awesome pic. And heck yes frame it to hang. Motivation, pride and well, simply because you are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me, I just ordered prints :) Thanks MaryFran for all your support!

      Delete
  6. I have been reading your blog now for about two years and have never really commented before, but I just had to after reading this post. It’s weird to feel so proud of someone you’ve never met or actually spoken to, but that’s what I felt when I read this and saw that awesome picture! My path has somewhat mimicked yours over the last couple of years as far as weight and entering the world of triathlons and such…..but I have to say that you are leaving me in the dust these days! LOL!
    You truly are an inspiration and a reminder that we don’t have to be perfect all the time. I mean, even Superman had his weakness in Kryptonite. Ours just comes in the form of certain foods and drinks. Doesn’t make us less super…….just more human :o)
    Keep up the great work and I’m going to use this to inspire me to get back on track.
    Keep it up!
    Michelle L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Michelle. Thank you. I love your "not less super, just more human" idea. I'm going to steal that one :) I hope you do get back on track, you obviously know you feel better when you you're working toward your goals. Thanks for the cheers!!

      Delete
  7. You look AMAZING!!! Love it! You should be so proud of yourself and your accomplishments! You deserve every bit of the recognition you get! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, I must echo everyone's positive comments above and say that I was thinking exactly what Michelle L. wrote about feeling proud of someone that you have never met! I started this weight loss journey in the last six weeks and only recently discovered your blog. I am inspired by your writing and reporting about the ups and downs and challenges that you have faced and overcome. My approach has been to track everything I eat and my exercise with the "Lose It" app. It has worked great so far as a record keeping device. Where your blog has helped me the most is with the "mental" part of this game and for that I am grateful that you have shared in a very authentic way and demonstrated how to work towards a goal: purposefully, slowly, diligently, and successfully. As a just-turned-50-year-old-full-time-student with 50 pounds to lose, I thought perimenopause was going to get the best of me in terms of brain fog, weight gain, hormonal haywire! Before trying anything else, I decided that monitoring what I eat and exercising was the first line of defense that I wanted to try. I am down 13 pounds, doing the C210K, and on track to run in my first event on St. Patricks day! Thank-you and Congratulations! An Aspiring Cape-Free Superhero! ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job!!!! That's awesome. I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago, but have never posted anything either. You are definitely an inspiration. I like how you handle the challenges without giving up. I have been doing Weight Watchers since April with about 60 pounds lost and about 40 or so to go. And I am learning how to just hang on during the hard parts instead of letting go completely. I've tried to look at the psychological aspects more and that has made all the difference. Thanks to people like you who publicly post it :) I've thought about blogging about weight loss and fitness, but haven't just yet. I haven't incorporated a lot of exercise into my plan yet, but am going to try C25K starting next week. I've never ran, so we'll see how this goes. Great job and thanks for being an inspiration --Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG so awesome! You are such a beautiful woman with a strong spirit! I can't begin to tell you how much your blog has gotten me through! Congrats once again! That ad speaks truth!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The poster is amazing! You. Are. Amazing! Everyday you continue to inspire me. Each morning I hear your voice, "What are you willing to do today?" And you know what today was? Today I dusted off my running shoes and took a 30 minute walk/jog through Golden Gate Park. It was a warm, sunny afternoon and after I finished I felt so dang good. Out of practice, a bit sore, but good. Thank you for being an awesome, inspiring Cape Free Superhero!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! The poster looks great and will be an inspiration to many. I am trying to decide right now wheter or not to join a gym until I can start workingn out outside again. Good to hear a positive gym story. P.S. I always preferred Wonder Woman but the leotard may be hard to rock ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is an incredible poster! Thanks for sharing!

    Julie
    http://halfajulie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Michelle,

    Thanks for liking my facebook page, I look forward to reading/following more about your story.

    Your look amazing in your poster!

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE THIS!!! YOU LOOK AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Roni! I'm writing my LHJ post right now and keep crying. What an experience. Made so much more by sharing it with you and Erika.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle