Saturday, August 3, 2013

San Francisco Chronicle Love!

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

Two posts in one day? Something must be up. I've been a bit quiet about this but a most amazing writer, Jeannie Matteucci from the San Francisco Chronicle, contacted me a couple months back and asked about doing an interview with me. Me? How fun. The idea of reaching more people, of reminding them there's a reason to fight the good fight, lose the weight, and get on with enjoying life - it was so exciting I could hardly stand it. I had so little hope when I started my journey but I'm filled with it now and I'm happy to share.

Being a person to not count my chickens before they're hatched I kept it mostly to myself...but it hit newsstands this weekend, much faster than I was expecting. I was having my morning coffee when my friend Gina posted on my Facebook wall, "Are you kidding me??? Just saw Chronicle!!!!!!" I piled the kids in the car and we raced to Gina's house, pajamas and all. I just couldn't believe it when I saw the cover. Couldn't believe it. 


The cover!
I mean, really. Can you even believe it? Holy cover photo. I know some of you have been reading this blog since my humble beginnings when I wrote my first post over 6 years ago. Here's the last paragraph of that post.
So here I am. Head down in a bit of embarrassment about my situation. I have been eating a healthy diet for 6 weeks and have lost 8 pounds. I was 233.8 pounds when I started 6 weeks ago. I am in the contemplation stage when it comes to exercise. I know I want to start again I just don't know when. I'm getting closer, and starting to write on here again is part of my move toward taking that step. I am trying to take things slowly so that I can create something that I am able to maintain for the rest of my life. Maintenance is the only reason I'm back.
I lost 25 pounds and was a bit over 200 pounds when I started exercising. Those early days of moving an over-sized, sedentary body were not easy. But they didn't kill me either. I started slow, doing what I could without injuring myself. I tried to do the Couch to 5k running program but couldn't even do the "brisk 5 minute warm-up walk", let alone the actual Week 1, Day 1 program (which involved multiple 30 second running intervals).

"Inspires" - I sure hope so. I'd love to reach even one person and let them know there's hope.
Obviously the journey from there to here is a long story, one I've covered in tremendous detail on this blog over the years, from 3 bowls of ice cream nights to the unexpected glorious tears of finishing my first triathlon. This journey has included the birth (and weight gain) of my two children and my post-baby fitness comeback. It's been one heck of a ride and one that I've never doubted is worth it. One of my favorite sentences in the article is about starting Weight Watchers, "the weekly meetings became her way of keeping a commitment to herself...". To myself. That was my first and most important commitment. Recognizing this was my choice, my decision - that was key.

But this blog was never about just me. My readers have been critical to my continuing to blog, baring even my worst binge-eating moments, and happily sharing my success to a group of readers who never failed to encourage me, give me life-changing tips and let me know I was making a difference in their lives too. What a rewarding opportunity that has been. I am now convinced my journey was never so much about me as it's about how I can turn this into helping others. Who knew losing the weight was just the beginning? But through helping others, I continue to help myself. I never would have predicted that having a degree and license to practice psychotherapy would merge with this journey in the way it has; I couldn't be happier about that.

Love that Marek made an appearance. Missing my little Myra girl.
When Jeannie did the interview I asked about letting people know about my private practice. She wasn't sure they'd include reference to it - the story being about my blog and all - but this made it into the story and it's like icing on the cake.


Thank you Jeannie! You are an inspiration yourself and I am so grateful to you for seeing my story as one that could help others. There are people in as much pain as I was out there, who have as much drive and desire as I did but they just don't know how to channel it into permanent change, let's hope this article reaches them and inspires them to give it another go. Willpower alone will not get you there. Deprivation and restriction never work. Change your mindset, focus on your goals, remember why you started and just how much it means to you. Don't give up on yourself. It's not always easy, I know that as good as anyone, but it's always worth it.

---------------------------------
I am a licensed clinical social worker with a private practice offering Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for weight loss and maintenance. I have an office in Marin County, CA and I'm also available to see clients via Skype. I started this practice after finding CBT techniques to be the most effective interventions for my own weight loss journey. To learn more please visit my professional website at www.michellefunez.com

5 comments:

  1. I seriously got chills reading this! You've inspired me more than you could even know. Every time I make a bad choice I think about you, I reread the 10 Ways I Survive a Slump. It really helps me! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been an inspiration to me as well. Congrats on the article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great article. I'm so very proud of YOU and what you have accomplished. You continue to inspire. What's next for you? I think your own talk show! C'mon let's get going on that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations! is the article online anywhere? I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Congratulations. New to your blog and I am so glad to have found my way. Looking forward to be inspired and hopefully find my own motivation, I really need it. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle