Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunday, Sunday @ Point Reyes Bear Valley Trail

Another fabulous day in my little corner of Northern California. A group of us went to Point Reyes National Seashore for a biking/hiking day. We started out on our bikes leaving Bear Valley Visitor's Center and taking the Bear Valley Trail through forests and past a meadow. This trek is labeled as "easy" in my trail book with a total distance of ~8 miles (6 biking, 2 hiking). Still, I'm sad to say I had to walk my bike up the latter part of a short climb. It's only a 200' elevation gain but the steady incline did me in. Three miles in we locked up the bikes and hiked the last mile to the seashore. Here we are at the bike rack.





At the end of the mile hike the ocean opens up in front of you. You can almost hear angels singing as it comes into view. We were treated to incredible views and soaked them all in.


We then took a short trail that drops steeply down to Coast Creek and out to the beach for a glimpse of the sea tunnel (the "arch" of Arch Rock) where the creek meets the ocean.
We sat on the rocks next to the water and shared some treats, enjoyed the beautiful surrounds and company, and plotted future events.

A few more pictures...


We then hiked back 1 mile to our bikes, hopped on our bikes and gleefully rode the mostly downhill 3 mile ride back to our cars. Weeee!!

Afterward we walked around the town of Point Reyes Station for a bit and then had a late lunch at The Station House Cafe. I had a green salad with an oil-free mustard vinaigrette to start and Fettuccine with Clams and Tomales Bay Mussels with a tomato, garlic, white wine sauce. Oh my...it was even better than it sounds. Topped it all off with a nice beer. Who could ask for a better day? I know I can't.

3 comments:

  1. This site looks awesome. So I thought the BL thing ended in March, yet on the show tonight, they said we had yet another week. I'm so confused!! Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Michelle
    you are reawakening so many wonderful memories for me in your new adventures. I am so happy for you, having these bike rides in such beautiful places. And the Station House..how many Sundays, and other days I started off there. I am so impressed with your stamina, determination and strength. And, ok, underneath it all I am so so jealous. Not in a mean way, just in a I wish I was doing all this too. I hope you keep your stories coming. I love them.
    aloha
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you Michelle, you look so wonderful and you're really out there doing new and exciting things. I miss you but I have to say from 3,000 miles away you are inspiring me to get back on track so we can get to goal together.

    XOXOX
    Shosh

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle