Monday, July 28, 2008

And Now It Is Conquered

I would like to report that things have been perfect.

But I can't.

And that's ok because things have been good. I got up on Saturday morning and had some brekkie. I've been eating the Kashi GoLean lately. For nearly 1.5 years I was strictly a Special K Protein Plus girl. But when I went to visit my friend Kelly in Ventura they had the Kashi GoLean. [Note: this is not the GoLean Crunch that people refer to as Crack...I'm too scared to even try that stuff!] The Kashi is bland on it's own but Kelly puts Cinnamon on it so I tried it. Perfect! Here are the stats:

......Special K / Kashi GoLean......
  • Serving Size: 29g/39g* (*this is the Calorie Watchers serving for Kashi)
  • Calories: 100/110
  • Fat: 3g/1g
  • Fiber: 5g/8g
  • Sugars: 2g/5g
  • Protein: 10g/10g
As you can see they're pretty comparable. Special K has less calories, but not by much. Kashi wins on the Fat and Fiber fronts. The Points are the same, 1 Point per serving! Yeah Baby! So I switched to Kashi for now but I know they'll be some Special K in my future when I get tired of the Kashi. It's nice to have options. Throw in a 1/2 c of FF milk (or 3/4 of a cup and call it a cup!) and you've got yourself a 2 Point breakfast. With lots of protein so you're not starving an hour later.

Alright, that was a bit of a tangent. Back to Saturday morning. We cleaned some to let breakfast settle. It was an all out Spring Cleaning type deal. We cleaned the fridge and freezer and sprayed the oven and then went on our bike ride. We rode 11.8 miles in a little under an hour. I didn't get my full 59 minutes in but I was okay with that knowing I had a full day of cleaning ahead of me. We returned to the condo and dug in full force with the dusting, vacuuming, windexing, etc. We did the kitchen, bathroom and both bedrooms. Whew! By the end of the day our happy little condo was clean again. It's times like these I'm glad we don't have a big ol' house to clean!

On Sunday I was supposed to do a 29 minute run. Notice the supposed to part. It didn't happen. I was also supposed to do weight training. Nope. I sat at home all day and watched movies and relaxed in my clean condo. This is the part where perfect breaks down. I felt appropriately guilty. Would you like to know my main excuse? It was too hot outside. Yep, pretty lame I know.

I went to bed last night determined to get up this morning and get my swim in. I slept too long and didn't do it. Time to call in the reinforcements. I called Miguel midday today and asked him to please train with me this afternoon. He agreed, thank goodness. So after work we saddled up on our bikes and rode to the YMCA pool. He watched me swim for 29 minutes and then we biked home. I got in my training! Yay! Having a supportive partner is sometimes like having a miracle land in your day. I thanked him profusely but he still probably doesn't know how much it meant to me.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, is a day off but I'm plotting to hit the gym to at least make up my weight training from Sunday. Since I only do the weight training twice a week now it's really important I get it in.

What a difference a workout can make. I was feeling down, depressed, ineffectual, guilty...all of the above, at work today. After my workout tonight I felt energized, alive, hopeful. Exercise is miraculous that way. It can lift you out of the lows of exhaustion and misery. The problem usually is, when you're in the lows of exhaustion and misery the last thing you want to do is exercise. And yet, it is our salvation. Ain't that a bitch?

Oh! I almost forgot the meaning of my post. On our way home from the pool I faced the big a$$ hill for the second time. Here is what I had to say the first time I faced it.
On the way home Miguel wanted to take this shorter route over this big a$$ hill. Ah! No! Can't do it! Well, after a few minutes I started feeling like I could give it a try. I made it about 1/2 way up before needing a break - but I made it. Pretty amazing. Miguel declared the hill conquered but I will declare it so when I can ride up with no break :) At its worst it is a 12% grade according to Garmin.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I made it! And it wasn't too bad. I was breathing pretty hard by the time I got to the top but now I can declare it conquered :)

I want to thank you all for your support regarding the ice cream incident my food choices. I know most of you know what food demon psychology is like. It sucks. Being reminded to stick with the positive attitude, that in the long run one pint of ice cream mistake won't fell the tower, well, that's what I needed to hear. Thanks.

23 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you got most of your training in! Good job! Off to do some walking mysself this morning, along with some shopping. Then home to finish riding the exercise bike. Glad you didn't let the food "mistake" ruin your whole weekend. You look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you got out yesterday!! Keep it up and keep the blues away.

    YOU MADE IT! That should keep a little pep in your step today.

    Have a great day.
    xox from NY

    PS: hug your hubby for me for his unwaivering support. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone should have, or probably does have a 'big a$$ hill' to use as a sort of gage of the fitness improvement! For me it would be the 3 sets of about 15 steps (I could be way off on that number) going up to ground level from the public transit system station downtown. I always take the escalators - and of course stand still because no one else is moving. When I'm in a hurry and do take the steps....it is frankly painful and my legs give out early in the third set of steps, my heart is pounding, my head feels like it will explode. It takes 5 minutes of walking just to recover from those dang steps!

    I can't wait until I can face it down with my head held high (and not pounding)!

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing poorly too right now but glad to hear that you have gotten out of it - definitely inspiration!!

    Thanks for the 2 point breakie idea, I will have to test it out.

    And since I didn't chime in on the ice cream thingy I agree. One little slip up won't ruin you. Think of all the meals and snacks you eat in a week. Even if it is just 3 a day, that is 21 meals a week, messing up 1 of them is no biggie!!

    Lastly - congrats on conquering the hill!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, I can't quite remember where I stumbled onto your blog, but so glad that I did. You're weight loss journey is inspirational. Please don't be so hard on yourself about certain food choices. I commend you for sharing your story on your blog. I may not train for a triathlon but every time I read one of your entries I get just the boost I need to go out and do my workout for the day or to journal my food intake or just to stick to it. It seems that I've been on a diet for the last 25 years or so and I'm only 34. This is the last year I want to diet. Thank you for reminding me that there are real people who lose weight the old fashioned way and that despite an often uphill battle there is a downhill.

    Congratulations to you.

    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miguel is so supportive! It does help to have support like that, and that probably goes without saying, but the journey is twice as hard when there's no one to give you that boost. I almost passed out when I saw 12% grade for that hill! You must have some awesome calves, quads and hammies by now. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you on the hill!!! I know exactly what you mean about the workouts. I'm in that position right now. I can't run or bike, I'm supposed to be swimming but haven't made it to the pool yet..... I'm just off... Glad you found a way to motivate yourself. Now I need one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, when I read your post I thought it was pretty darn near perfect. So you had a day where you did nothing. This is life we are talking about and we WILL have those days. The really perfect thing about your post today? You got off your butt the next day (big cheers and hugs to Miguel for his support)! AND you have a plan in effect to make up for that lost day (adding in your strength training on your off day).

    So all in all I'd say that even though it wasn't the original plan, it was still perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay to miguel for being so supportive. that is awesome.

    and a great big yay to you for conquering that darn hill! way to go!

    that is just the way to bounce back after a setback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guilt, suffering, bad food choices, conquering stuff, Saint for a husband - I could have written all of that myself (except for the cleaning part - I don't do too well in that department!).

    Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you didn't do it this time, remember to yell this at the top of your lungs next time:

    "I am QUEEN of this hill. WoooooHooooooo"

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay for you and hubby for getting your workout in, and the go lean sounds delicious!

    I'm so proud of you for sharing about the hill. Next year, you're going to review this page one day, and think about how you truly conquered it for the first time, then LAUGH about it, and be SO proud of how far you've come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kashi GoLean Crunch is CRACK! and it gave me wicked gas (TMI...I know). I stopped buying it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's how, Michelle! Do what you can do, enlist support where you have it, and keep remembering that it's the long haul, not the bunny hops that got you where you are now, and will keep you there. You made it up the BIG A$$ Hill in one smooth ride???!!! Great! You're going to be so ready for October!

    ReplyDelete
  16. congrats on conquering the big ass hill! :) It feels great to conquer something that previously terrified you. I was like that with exercise in general lol.
    I think it's lovely that migel came and trained with you... supportive hubbys rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've noticed that lovely catch 22 about exercise. It's tough to make yourself do it when you just aren't in the mood. Lately I too re-discovered how rejuvenating and refreshing a good workout can be. Congrats on that hill too! I may have to check out those cereals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are such an inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVE Kashi Go Lean crunch (with vanilla yogurt and a little fruit... YUM EEE)

    You are doing great with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on the hill! I had a very hilly bike ride yesterday and cut my ride short because I felt like the hills were enough of a training.

    I agree about feeling so much better after a workout though. Now, if we could just remember that when we're feeling down, depressed, and guilty so it actually gets us off the couch to do something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Michelle, did the ice cream get you? I really missed hearing about your amazing, adventerous, active weekend. I look forward to reading all about them on Mondays, maybe Tuesday will bring me your weekend adventure. Hope you're alright and you are so busy that you are passing right by your computer on your way out the door to another ride,run or swim! Hope to hear from you soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michelle - A week is TOO long for me to go without a Michelle update!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Girl you so totally inspire me...seriously. I look at you where you started and where you are and I am so motivated!!
    Girl I wanna be you...you are so healthy and beautiful!!
    I had to laugh at your "cleaning spree" in the condo. I bet your cat was hiding in fear of the lady tornado!! LOL
    Have a blessed week...
    Colette

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle