Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Somebody, Please!

Stop Me! Oh, what have I done? I'll give you a hint...


Need another one?


Oh, crap. Ok...last hint... [click image to see larger]


Yep, you guessed it. I registered for another tri. But this time, oh please help me, this time, I registered for an Olympic Distance. What?! Holy friggin' cow! Oh Lord, I'm scared. Seriously, who the heck do I think I am? Enough with the freakout, here's the details from the website...

Marin County Triathlon: Olympic distance
Swim 1.5k (.93 miles)
Bike 40k (24.8 miles)
Run 10k (6.2 miles)

McNears Beach County Park, San Rafael
Sunday Morning, October 26, 2008
8:00 am Start

Swim
A 1.5 k open water swim around the pier at McNears Beach. At near high tide, this is a challenging plunge in the cold waters of San Pablo Bay. At the start, participants will swim out about 150 yards, keeping the buoys on your left. Then let the current glide you around and past the pier for about a half-mile before heading back towards the shore and along the easy shoreline route to the swim exit.

Bike
After the first transition, this 40 k tour will take you through the rolling hills of China Camp State Park, the beauty of rural Marin County and a passing view of some back roads in San Rafael. This is not your typical Sunday ride with the family. Lots of elevation changes. This route will take you past the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Marin Civic Center, out along the pristine Lucas Valley Road, along the campus of Dominican College, climbing up into some rather higher elevation roads of San Rafael and then back down into the park, completing one unique, and very Marin, 24.8-mile loop.

Run
After the second transition, this 10 k run follows the road north along the bay, before heading back on the Shoreline Trail in China Camp. As you run back, feel the soft trail beneath your legs, pay attention to the San Pablo Bay you have already swam in, the road you had earlier biked on and the many types of trees, plants and wildlife you will encounter along the way. Downhill and fast, ending into the Green Village Expo, this will be one of your most memorable finishes ever.

This event is not an easy walk in the park. Please be experienced and/or take advantage of our professional triathlon-training partners. They will have you ready for race day.

Not a walk in the park indeed. I've been flirting with this triathlon ever since I stumbled upon it the day after my first TRIumphant event. I am going through many of the same feelings I went through after registering for that event, except on a deeper level. Holy shit. Can I do this? Will I finish? Am I nuts? Do I even want to do this? Am I strong enough? They note above, "Please be experienced." If by experienced they mean you've completed one "fun" sprint tri in which they didn't even keep track of your time then I'm good. Something tells me they mean more than that. Oh boy. Will I need a wetsuit?

So after registering I had a little mini-meltdown during which I spent over an hour searching out training programs online. Ok, two hours, but who's counting? What did I come up with? I found a 16 week Olympic - 2x Balanced training program on Beginner Triathlete. The "2x" means each sport is done twice per week. I calculated it out and I will finish this training two weeks before the tri, assuming no glitches. But life always has glitches so I have a two week buffer to play with. The 16 weeks includes the taper too so I feel confident I have enough time to complete it. I feel confident? Ha! Even typing that my little evil self-doubter laughed at me. SHUT UP! I've had enough of you, little evil self-doubter voice. Aaaannnyway...

So in perfect freak out mode I called Miguel and told him in no uncertain terms that I will now be getting serious about training. I told him to expect crappy dinners and little of my time. I told him the time he does get with me will be crappy because I'll be in a bad mood. I told him he better train with me whenever I ask or said crappy mood will be inflicted directly and purposefully upon him. Nah, I didn't say all that. But I did ask for his help.

So on Sunday, before registering for this tri and before fear set in my heart, I rode my bike to the pool. It was about 6 miles and I tried out the Garmin. Here's just some of the awesome info from the trip to the pool. Red is heart rate, Green is elevation and Blue is speed.


The ride was not a piece of cake as I would have expected and I found myself wondering if riding would ever get easier. Anyway I got to the pool and swam for about 30 minutes and then lounged. Swam some more, for about 20 minutes, lounged a bit more. Rode home feeling calm, cool and a little sunburned.

Then Monday morning at work I can't explain what came over me but that's when I registered for the tri. I think I was tired of thinking about it and tired of trying to decide. Little did I know this would give me even more to think about. I should have been able to figure that one out. So I came home from work and showed Miguel the training schedule. Mondays are gym days but I know this training will mean my whole routine is going to change. Day 1 has a 24 minute swim and a 48 minute cycle. My back is actually a bit red still so I can't swim, plus I just went yesterday. So we went on a ride, but a 2 hour one instead of 48 minutes. We did the 22 mile out and back trip down to the Point Reyes-Petaluma road. Here's the Map My Ride route.


And here's the Garmin data. Again, Red is heart rate (which is FAST), Green is elevation and Blue is speed (which is SLOW by the way).


Tuesday (today) is a day off but since he also suggests weight training at least twice a week and since I didn't do it yesterday like I normally would have and since I don't want to lose the muscle I have currently I'm going to go today to do upper body weight training. No cardio other than to warm up my muscles. Actually, I am really looking forward to going to the gym just to do weights. Weight training is my favorite part of gym time so it's like getting to eat chicken-pot-pie without the peas and carrots. Huh?

I'll give you a sneak peek at the rest of the week because this post just isn't long enough. Wed = 40 min swim, Thur = 24 min run (I need to start running outside!), Fri = 80 min bike, Sat = Off (something fun!), Sun = 40 min run (ha! run/walk maybe). I plan to sneak in a few weight training sessions in there too. Maybe I'll do the Thursday runs on the treadmill at the gym and weight train after and do the Sunday runs outside. Yeah, I like that.

Food has been so-so. I've been dealing with hunger a lot lately and it sucks. I don't know if I will lose again this week but I hope I do. You can rest assured I'll post it either way.

Any wise words of wisdom from all you hard core triathletes out there? My adrenaline is revved up again. I'm doing this for fun, I'm doing this because I like it, I'm doing this not to prove anything to anyone or myself but because I enjoy it. I'm doing this for fun. I am. Really. Right?

25 comments:

  1. I have to say - YOU ARE INSPIRING!

    I stumbled onto your blog a couple days ago, and I'm in awe reading about everything you've accomplished. I posted a little blurb about you yesterday on my weight loss blog.

    Good luck in your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe. Serious awe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU CAN DO THIS!! You signed up because you know you can...it's scary but this is the athletic level you are at. Don't minimize that. Look back to where you started, that will keep it all in perspective. You're an inspiration and you're driven. Keep it up.

    Love from NY!!!

    PS: I will be there every step of the way whispering in your ear that you CAN DO THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!!!
    There you go again, setting that bar incredibly high for those of us following along.

    Of course you can do this. Remember that first one and how easy it felt? No experience here, but I'll just bet that with all the training you're going to be doing that this one might not be easy, but it will be do-able.

    As always, I am so proud of and inspired by you, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. God. You are crazy incredible! I am also in total awe of you and your courage. I love that you challenge yourself so strongly -- you just go for it, and it is great!

    I am very happy for you and proud of you to take this bold new step. Of COURSE you can do it!

    (This is good for my training too, when I am out there whining about my 3 mile run tomorrow, I will just think about how much you kick ass and use it to fuel my ambition!)

    YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROCK ON Michelle!

    You can do this!

    Stick to the training plan and you'll get there.

    Yes, you will more than likely need a wet suit (especially since the race info says "COLD WATERS" and you'll need to get in some open water swim practices.

    You can probably rent one, if you don't want to buy one yet.

    Re: food: You are doing great and have come a long way. Don't worry too much about it right this second.

    I weighed in a WW this morning and was .4 up on their scale. Went to my gym for a spin class at noon, weight in 2.7 LESS on the gym scale.

    Up and down; Hungry and not so hungry.

    Just do the best you can with the day and get your training in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN TOTALLY DO IT...
    T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Find an Oly plan, adapt it to meet your needs, and just make it happen. And have fun!!

    You gave me a great idea...ride my bike to the pool. I'd then need to ride if from the pool to home (if weekend) or to work. And then to home later. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok.. so .. they way i see it.. .. its all about the training.. you have proved you can train for an event and complete it.. this is no different.. you will do it!
    You can do it!

    YOU are inspiring me that I can actually run my 13.1 this friday even
    though my training is off.. because.. "I do this for fun, because i like it.. .... because i enjoy it!"

    way cool! way way inspiring..
    and
    what else is there to do? sit around and watch tv :)LOL

    cant wait to watch your training!
    blessings
    ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  10. *GASP!*

    Do the training program they're offering! That's pretty ambitious, but I have no doubt you'll be ready for it by then! If I wasn't dealing with all this injury crap, I'd join you. ;) Hmmm... Maybe next year?

    Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW! That is a real professional triathlon! LOL here I am freaking out about my 200m pool swim/6km bike ride/ 2km run...
    but I can only run for a minute to a minute and half at a time right now. And you're doing your tri about two weeks after mine.
    Keep us posted with all the training, I am getting so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy smokes, your an addict now! ;-)

    BTW, did you change your header? I don't remember that pic up there, but it looks AWESOME.

    training, training, training. And don't be afraid to slow down, because it's all about the experience, and enjoying the event. Having a race picked out will give you encouragement and a goal to work toward, so I'm all for it! But make sure it is more fun than not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, and good for you! I cannot even imagine doing something like that but I admire you so much for it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have any inspiring advice for you. BUt I just have to say, YOU ROCK! You are the one that is inspiring! Don't doubt yourself, you can definitely do this! Just look at all you have already accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are awesome!






    That is all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWESOME! You are trully amazing, the training sounds tough but totally worth it! Keep us updated on how it is going.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG. O-M-G!!!! Ok, I know someone who completed a couple Ironmans. http://thechapplesinnc.blogspot.com/ This lady is awesome! Tell her DancingBear sent you over.

    Congratulations for jumping in feet first! Told ya you were a rock star!!!!!!! Also, I'd like to invite you over to runango forum to the Women's or Letters and Opinions forum. http://www.runango.com/forums/forum_show.pl

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just over the moon excited for you about this. What a HUGE step to take and I know that it will be so much fun for you. I have to go back and read your entire post, but I just wanted to post real quick about how excited I am for you. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow girl YOU are amazing! Read your report of your first tri and now this! Yes it can be intimidating going from sprint to olympic distance (it was for me) but after reading some of your posts I am sure you can DO IT!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to checking in here to see how things are going as you progress to this next, very exciting goal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, good for you! I've never done a tri...or a bi...or a mara. I'll live vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You KNOW you can do it!! Congrats on having the guts to sign up. =)


    Send some of your friends my way, I could use some extra support.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're going to do great! You'll surprise yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on signing up!!! You'll LOVE it!! I have an oly next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are such an inspiration! Good luck with your training and event. I always wanted to do a triathalon when I lost my weight, but recently found out how bad my knees are. So even though I won't be doing one, I LOVE to cheer others on and find other methods to help me get into exercise and fitness more!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle