Sunday, August 11, 2013

Run, Swim, Shop

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.] 

My last post included the sentence, "I'm hoping to get out for a 4 mile run today." Did I get out for it? Come on, you know me better than that, of course I did. But it wasn't easy. By the time Miguel got home from work I felt SO tired, the last thing I wanted to do was go on a run. But I flooded my brain with all the stuff I know works - "You'll feel better after." and "You'll feel like crap later if you bag it." and the always popular, "You ate a lot of junk today, the run will help balance that out." - that all worked to get me changed into my running clothes and the rest was history.

I ran 4 miles in 39:11 for an average pace of 9:47 minute miles. The first mile was slower but I was able to pick it up after that, running the next 3 miles progressively faster. And, as promised, I felt better after. Not just better, but great! And I must have left that tired feeling out on the road somewhere because I felt energized and ready to roll for the rest of the evening.

4 mile training run. Full Garmin stats here.
My food choices the rest of the day weren't stellar, I had some beans and avocado for dinner but then went on to have some of those damn Hawaiian dinner rolls and a bowl of Kashi. Ugh.

Today was a Swim with Pedro day, I was up and on the road with Shelly by 9am. I just got the group picture from last week.

I made it easy to spot me :)
Today's swim was awesome! 62 degrees is right up my alley. This time I went with the group that swims around the inside of the pier. Shelly and I decided to stick together since all the other swimmers are so much faster. The current in the park kept us pushing hard but once we were next to the pier it was a lot easier. We swam out and turned around about half way to the end of the pier. Not sure how long we were in the water.

Here's a picture to give you an idea of our route in Aquatic Park.


I felt so good changing out of my wetsuit into my warm clothes. My feet were numb again but not as bad as last week. I was done changing when someone called my name, "Michelle?...I read your blog." How fun! Ariel is from the East Bay and has been following my blog for about 6 months. So fun to meet a reader in real life I had to take a picture with her.

Hi Ariel!!
Turns out Ariel is doing the AquaBike event at the same Santa Cruz Triathlon I'm doing - so cool!!

Feeling good and done with our swim Shelly and I ran to Sports Basement to do a little tri shopping. I've been wanting a transition bag. I tried to buy some from Craigslist but had no luck. Shelly just got one by Blue Seventy that she loves so I got that one.

Love my new transition bag!
This purchase has been a long time coming. I'm like a real triathlete now! It will be fun to take this thing to Santa Cruz.

So I had a nice plan to come home and make a healthy sandwich for lunch. I'm thinking about finishing up my 7-day clean eating thing I started way back when and didn't finish. I still owe myself 3 days and I think it's warranted now given all the dinner rolls and whatnot. Anyway, the kids were still playing at the soccer field and I was starving so I bought two pupusas (cheese and zucchini - at least there were veggies!) and had those for lunch. Yum! And I might have had some of the kids' goldfish crackers. I think the 3-day clean eating will have to start now.

Ok, that's all I got. The training plan calls for an 8-mile bike tomorrow. Looking forward to the wind in my face again, it was so nice last week. So happy to be triathloning once again, I love the multi-sport!!

---------------------------------
I am a licensed clinical social worker with a private practice offering Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for weight loss and maintenance. I have an office in Marin County, CA and I'm also available to see people via Skype. To learn more please visit my professional website at www.michellefunez.com

1 comment:

  1. I did a triathlon once and only once - swimming just isn't my thing. :D The look on my husbands face when I got out the water was priceless! :D

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle