Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Scale Beckons...

So much for staying off the scale for a month! I shoulda known I'd never make it. So a few days ago I noticed that my ankles looked less like a continuation of my calf and a bit like ankles again. That got me to thinking maybe I've lost some of this water weight. That got me to thinking about the scale and next thing ya know...181.2 and 38.5% body fat. So, with a pre-pregnancy weight of 164.8 and a current weight of 181.2 that puts me at -16.4 pounds from my "official" pre-pregnancy weight, and 22.4 pounds from my low of 158.8 pounds. I'll take it!


So the next question is when should I return to Weight Watchers? My plan is to start to meetings and learn the new Momentum program but not put any pressure on myself to actually follow the plan. I'm just going to go to meetings and see what develops naturally. Maybe I won't start following the plan for a few weeks, maybe I'll be inspired and start right away, maybe I'll make incremental changes and sort of slowly start following the plan. I don't know, but I know the only expectation I want in the beginning is to go to meetings. This method worked really well for me when I initially started WW back in February '07. Wow, it's been over two years since I started WW.

I looked up the meetings and my old meeting is gone :( The only one at that location is a 9:30am weekday meeting. 9:30am?! Hmph. Not gonna happen. The only other evening meeting nearby is at a location where the meetings are big. I don't like big meetings, too impersonal. But I guess if I have to choose between 9:30am and big/impersonal it'll be big/impersonal.

I'm going to the doctor on Friday for my postpartum checkup. I suppose this is a good place to get an opinion as to when to start back. The docs there are of varying fitness levels, and this is just based purely on my observing body size, which I know is wrong. On Friday I'm seeing the super-skinny one who wears chic clothing and high heels. I'm guessing she'll tell me to start back right away :) Assumptions are fun aren't they?

Well, looking back over my pregnancy weight gain I am pleased with how things went. In a lot of ways I could have done better, mostly with maintaining a better activity level. The exercise quickly became nearly non-existant. The food was hit and miss. I went through phases with the eating, sometimes out of control, sometimes not. After a while the novelty of eating sort of wore off and in the last trimester I didn't gain as much.

I am more enthusiastic about getting back into shape now that I have a little guy to keep up with. I want to be able to have fun with him and go on adventures and not be held back by being out of shape. I want a hike to be fun and easy, not a challenge. Anyway, he's inspiring me.

Well, it's taken me three days to complete this post. Welcome to my new life I guess, eh? I'll close with a new pic of my little guy :) How sweet is he??!

17 comments:

  1. I think you've done really well with the pre and post weights. My SIL put on 20kg (44lb) with her pregnancy. I always sore that when the time came for me to have kids, I wouldn't be doing that!! lol
    It's a shame your old meeting has gone - hopefully you can work something out.
    Your litte boy is just gorgeous! Congrats again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great attitude!
    Remember to do what feels right for you and your family. You know the principles of weight loss and it will come up. My sister lost all her weight after her first child just by eating heathy and taking daily walks with the baby. Adorable pictures, thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see more...hint hint

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roni from Ronisweigh.com started WW with baby in tow TWO weeks after birth. In the old plan, they had extra points for nursing moms...so I say do it when you are comfortable. As in pregnancy...he will take what he needs from you when nursing. Just make sure you are continuing to make milk...BTW, he is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments at my blog! I appreciate your advice!! :) I am due in a few days...praying for a weekend delivery! Your boy is GORGEOUS! keep the pictures coming! I plan on checking out the WW nursing plan soon after I deliver...probably not immediately though since I will need some time to get situated. Hoping they have weekend meetings that work for me so that dh can stay with the little ones! You have such a healthy attitude! LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's do the math another way....You started at 233.8 and now you are at 181.2. That is 52.6 pounds down from where you started and YOU HAD A BABY! That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me! =)

    I can't wait to come meet Marek....he is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The standard doctor workout rule is usually at 6 weeks post partum, and that's with just about any doctor, however, as you've said, it depends on the doctor and how you feel, since you've had a c-section.

    Marek is such a little angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a handsome little guy!

    I'd be willing to say you still will drop more weight 'instantly'- I would not even yet consider this as your 'starting weight'. It really does take 4 - 6 weeks for all the fluids, hormones, blood volume etc to settle down. So you may find you only have about 15 pounds to lose!

    Congrats again and keep the pics coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. not bad at all! I think you did really well, and I know youll have no trouble getting the rest off. just find something that works for you and your life right now.

    he is so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how your body is transformed by constantly lifting the little one. Your arms will be so toned, and the extra weight will shed in due time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle, Wow... I have not checked in with you lately..now I see your precious son... Congrats to you and hubby.My daughter had three C-sections and it takes a few weeks for all of the swelling to go down in the tummy area.You will be able to get back with time and exercise to your prior weight..Have a wonderful time enjoying your baby and family. Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  11. you know I love you Michelle, but I can't help it...every time you post a pic of Marek I can't think of anything else. He is so beautiful it makes me cry.

    ok, *slap slap snap out of it kristy*....

    you have so very little weight to lose..it really will come off. all you have to do is eat healthily, go on some walks, play with marek in some lifting ways when you can, and you will be amazed how fast you are back where you were, you athletic studess, you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your little guy. He's so perfect.

    You'll do great with your weight, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is adorable, of course! And I think you did great with your weight! Good luck getting back with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATULATIONS on the arrival of your son!

    I've been out of the blog loop for a bit and am catching up.

    Your son is beautful !

    Relax a little about yourself. There is plenty of time to get it all back together.

    Relish this time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations on your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you all are doing well! Oooh soo cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. He is too precious!
    2. Wowsa you are already doing so so amazing!!!
    3. So did you sign up? How is the new meeting/plan if you did?

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle