Thursday, July 5, 2012

4 on the 4th in 39:36!

It's Thursday but it feels like Monday.  Mid-week holidays are strange.  I took Tuesday off so I'm really coming back from a nice couple of days.  And the best part is, tomorrow is Friday!  I had an amazing Fourth of July.  But before I tell you all about that, a quick re-cap of the earlier part of the week.

Monday was a gym day.  I started with the upright bike for 25 minutes and it's safe to say, level 7 really is getting easier.  The first couple of times it was easier I thought maybe it was a fluke but now it's happening each time.  I followed that up with legs/shoulders/core for strength training.  I've worked out my legs plan.  I'm still doing regular squats but added pliĆ© squats.  I decided against the split squats, they were just too complicated to do correctly, and so I kept leg extensions.  And I think I'm going to add in lateral band walks, where you put the resistance band around your ankles and step to one side for 8 reps, then the other way.  It feels like it's working the outside of your hips, whatever that is.

I had the day off on Tuesday.  I wish I'd planned my day better.  I hung around the house all morning and planned to go to the gym in the afternoon.  Then I realized I could do something better than just the gym.  It was pretty hot out so I opted to go to the pool and swim some laps.  After that I went for a massage.  I signed up for a monthly massage for 6 months, hoping it would help with my stress level and maybe ease muscle tension too.  I gotta admit, I sure do like getting those massages.  I don't think it's a realistic thing to do long term though - a massage a month gets expensive.  I just need to take the time to meditate.  That seems to be the cure-all for stress.  I keep reading about how even 10 minutes a day makes a huge difference.  We'll see. 

So 4th of July was Wednesday (yesterday).  I registered, along with a couple mom friends, for a local 4 mile race in the morning.  I went to bed way too late the night before and knew nothing about the course - though I was assuming the route would be laid back (as in, flat), this is a holiday run after all.  My mom was over and could watch the kids so Miguel decided to run it too.  Fun!

Laurie, Jackie and I.  Red, white and blue, actually not planned!
I had my normal Kashi GoLean and coffee/creamer for breakfast.  I debated eating an AccelGel but in the end decided I didn't need it for such a short event.  Anyway, here I am with my mom friends pre-race.

We lined up at the starting line, sang the Star Spangled Banner (there's a first) and then took off.  I felt like I was running pretty quick so after about 5 minutes I looked at my garmin.  It showed around a 9:30 pace.  Uh oh, running way too fast!  But you know, I felt ok.  So I decided not to look at my garmin again and just go for it.  Run by feel.  I know going out fast usually results in a lower time overall, but I just decided to keep running by what felt right and see what happened.  I was actually passing a few people.

It wasn't too long before we came across a good sized hill.  Not too steep, but friggin' long!  I managed to run the whole way up, successfully quieting the voice that kept suggesting I walk.   Running back down was much more fun so I pushed myself on the down slope.  Eventually I'd come across more friggin hills! and I thought, what the heck are they doing, this is a holiday run!  Here's a screenshot of the elevation profile from my garmin.  Look at those evil hills!


I managed to run up every one of those hills though, and was feeling quite pleased with myself despite the fact that I was dying to walk.  This was tough.  Way tougher than I was expecting.  I had "fun run" in my head, which meant no dying to walk and definitely no hills.  Anyway, I managed to keep running.  I broke down and glanced at my garmin again around mile 3.  I was still doing a sub 10-minute mile.  And it motivated me to push.  Only one more mile!  Lots of positive self talk ensued.  My left calf started aching just a bit but I decided to ignore it.  I can't let anything mess up this apparently incredible run I'm having.

Now I'm looking at my watch more often but not for pace, for distance.  Four miles couldn't come soon enough.  And then there it was, the finish line.  Nice!  I pushed on and crossed the finish line.  And then I looked at my garmin. 39:36.  Holy cow!  I ran four miles in less than 40 minutes.  That means I ran faster than 10 minute miles.  That means I ran faster than I've run in my life.  Ever.  Faster than I'd ever run even on a treadmill (for any sustained amount of time).  I was overjoyed.  So unexpected and so awesome.  It wasn't easy, certainly not "fun", but I was thrilled with how I did.

Here's more information than you'd ever want from the Garmin connect site.  Look at those heart rates, average 158, I was really pushing.  And a peak of 173.  Good thing I didn't look at my garmin, that would have made me slow down for sure!  I slow down when I get to 160 normally. 



I drove home for a quick change before taking the kids to walk in the 4th of July parade with our mother's club.  We've done it every year since I had Marek.  On the way home I actually got a little emotional at the thought of my run.  I have really come a long way.  Back to town for the parade, which went by quick, and then we headed home to relax.  We filled up the kiddie pool and spent the rest of the afternoon watching the kids play, very relaxing.  I tried to eat healthy all day because for dinner my mom grilled steaks and we had that with baked potatoes.  Of course I added some vegetables and a salad to my meal.  Dinner was sooo good.  We skipped the whole fireworks thing, which was just fine with me.  What a great day!  

Today, Thursday, was up in the air in terms of my gym plans.  I wasn't sure how I'd feel.  But you know, I felt ok.  And by the time I went to the gym after work it'd been more than 24 hours since the race.  I did the bike, level 7 is still easier.  I am starting to entertain level 8.  Maybe another month or so and we'll see.  After the bike I did chest/triceps/core for strength training.  And I met a new woman at the gym.  She's lost 120 pounds and is lifting heavy weights - that's my kind of gym goer.  She's still got some weight to lose on her journey and told me she's planning to start a blog soon.  Cool!  Maybe I can profile her on my blog one day soon.

So tomorrow is Friday, which means weigh-in.  I will be happy if I maintain.  After all I ate last weekend, and my eating yesterday - well, I'm not expecting to lose.  I'm going to have to stop seeing social events as a time to cut loose food-wise if I want to stay on track.  Summer means too many social stuff which could mean weight gain if I'm not careful.  Ok, that's all I got.  Oh, I'll add in another picture that Jackie took of me pre-race.  I didn't even know she was taking it.  I like how I look like I'm giving an interview or something.

11 comments:

  1. A running PR - congratulations, how elating! And I don't know if it's lighting or what but you look very slender in that side on shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So exciting. And so unexpected, which made it even more fun I think. I am getting a lot of comments about being "skinny" so maybe it's not just the lighting? Hard for me to be objective. Thanks for the support, as always!

      Delete
  2. i LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!! Some times I get discouraged that I only lose one pound a week. And then I read your blog and watch how you stuck with it. How you had tough weeks, and set backs, and you never gave up. You kept going, and look at how far you have come. You are truly inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing your story. You have also inspired me to start my own blog. Its www.SayingNoToCookies.blogspot.com


    Hope you have a great day and a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you get that message from my blog. It's all about sticking with it and doing the next right thing. The number on the scale will follow. If you only focus on that number, I suspect you'll be disappointed in the end. Make it about a healthy lifestyle, come up with some goals that are NOT related to the scale. I have a love/hate relationship with my scale, if you can't tell :)

      Delete
  3. sub 10 minute miles~~~ holy guacamole!!! That's so awesome! You're such an inspriation - I need to get back on the wagon so keep on going - you are helping others know that they too can do it!
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica - I will never forget reading your first marathon race report and crying for you at the end. If you need a little boost, read that again. You have all the power, all the strength, you need to make this happen. I believe in you as much as you believe in me.

      Delete
  4. I just got caught up on the last handful of posts that you have made. I've been following you since very early on....through the weight loss...your first tri, kids and your struggle to return to where you are. I lost my weight about the same time you first lost, and I've regained some (no kids as my excuse...just stupidity) But I've watched you conquer again. You are inspiring. Totally inspiring to me. I've been struggling, but reading you today made me for the first time say "I can do this again" (ok, with a few tears in my eyes for me as I embark on the journey again and a lot of tears for you as I read about you doing your best ever run...and your commitment to exercise....AND doing it with a normal lifestyle...because face it fast food, wine and eating crazy sometimes is part of life). THANK YOU for sharing with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've been around since the start. I check in on your blog every now and then, hoping you are finding your way. Not stupidity, please. We learn something new with every setback. Your journey is just as it should be, just what you are ready for it to be. You CAN do this again. I know I always get teary when I read other people's big accomplishments too, I KNOW what the struggle is, I know how important this all is. And yes, fast food, wine, crazy eating - it's all part of the journey. I look forward to watching your journey. I'm going to post this on your blog too ;)

      Delete
  5. Awesome job! Go you! A running PR always kicks butt. Was it hot? Hopefully you had decent 4th weather. It's been miserably hot in my part of the country so working out hasn;t happened much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect weather actually. Not hot for the morning run (but not cold either) but by midday it was warm enough to fill the kiddie pool and lounge around in the shade without being miserable. I know almost the whole country has been going through massive heat waves! You have to get out there early to beat the heat I guess (something I'm not very good at doing, I love my bed!).

      Delete
  6. Wow what an amazing race recap, Michelle!!! So inspiring to hear in your "voice" how PROUD you are of yourself!! I'm very happy for you - and jealous!! My race on the 4th did not go quite so well! Glad you had such a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle