Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Open for Business!

Recently I've been referring to some career changes that are directly related to my weight loss journey. I am a licensed clinical social worker and part of my training and experience has been in providing psychotherapy. Within the last year I made the decision to open a private practice specializing in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for weight loss and maintenance. Here's a bit more about it.
CBT addresses the feelings, behaviors and thoughts that have led to unhealthy choices. Sessions will focus on identifying and changing unhelpful thoughts with a goal replacing self-defeating habits with healthy ones. Changes are made when you're ready, putting you in total control of your journey. Treatment includes engaging in regular self-monitoring throughout the week as well as completing homework assignments. Treatment usually begin with 8 - 10 weekly sessions followed by 12-24 biweekly sessions.
My practice is open and growing! I couldn't be more excited to be working with people just like me, people who have been held back from living the life they desire because of extra weight. It's not about lack of willpower or drive, it's not about weakness, it's about needing to learn the skills and habits that will keep you on the path toward your goal. I've lived this path, I've made these changes. Sure, I slip and falter now and then, we all do, but I've learned how to get up. And I can teach others how to do the same. Witnessing people how to stay on the path, how to value and work toward their goals, how to make changes toward having the life they want - it's got me waking up excited to cheer others on as they create their new life. 

I've done a huge amount of reading and research on the subject of CBT for weight loss. CBT is widely considered one of the most effective, evidence-based treatments available. What does that mean? Basically it means it's been studied, and it works - and to apply it to weight loss and maintenance makes so much sense, it's a perfect fit. I've seen it work on myself and I feel inspired to help others find their way. In addition to reading, research and living this model, I also attended an intensive training at the Beck Institute for Cognitive Behavior Therapy, learning from the best in the business how to use this model in practice. 

now for the details: I have an office in Novato, California and I am also available to see people via Skype. My practice website is www.michellefunez.com. My email and phone number are on the website if you might be interested in contacting me. Soon I'll be placing an ad on my blog so that new visitors know about my practice. 
br /> Whew! This has been a long time coming with lots of thought, planning, learning and seeking of guidance on the best way to establish and grow this business. And yet it doesn't feel like work, seeing people move toward their goals, how to make lasting changes that don't feel like deprivation and restriction, how to let go of the baggage so they can proudly walk toward their dream - I feel honored to witness it. It's true what they say, choose a job you love and you won't have to work a day of your life.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day for you!!! Congratulations!!!!
    Best of luck on this new adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you and excited for you! Couldn't be a more perfect next step in your life. Now all the challenges you've faced and the lessons you've learned will help so many others. Congratulations! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new practice and journey in life :) It sounds interesting and admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!!! Congrats and much much luck and happiness in your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Congrats and lots of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Michelle!! This sounds very awesome and exactly what people on this journey need!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting - would love to learn more about CBT for weight loss, do you have any good resources you could recommend? Thanks and good luck with the practice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats - love that you are doing what YOU want to do!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle