Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Routine is Good

So my weight shot up after camping last weekend. I've been keeping an eye on it all week and while it's back down, it's not likely going to be under 140 come Friday morning. That's ok, I know it will settle back after a few more days of normal eating. My workouts have been good. I realized that last week was the first time in a long time that I got all five of my planned workouts in. I felt really good about that. It took some early morning trips to the gym, which are not my favorite, but I made it happen. This week I'm shooting for another five day streak. I've missed my routine.

Monday was another early morning workout, hitting the gym early because my afternoon was booked solid. I started with the upright bike for 25 minutes, level 8, and then did legs/shoulders/core, mixing in my PT exercises throughout. My back is showing some real progress, I haven't taken ibuprofen in days. Tuning into my body is not one of my better skills so it's been hard for me to gauge if things are getting better but lately I've experienced very few moments of discomfort and that, I've noticed.

I also had PT on Monday. Kate was pleased to hear my back is feeling better, though I still have some pretty tight muscles back there. I think a weekly massage would help but who has time and money for that? So many other priorities. Anyway, she gave me two new exercises. Lunges, 2 sets of 10, and not the walking (aka dynamic) lunges I've been doing but the ones where you step forward, lunge, and step back. They are challenging in a new way and I have to really focus on pushing up from my heel to keep my knee from getting wobbly.

Golfer's Lunge
The other exercise she gave me is called a golfer's lunge. You stand on one foot and bend at the hip, keeping your back straight. In the beginning you hold a stick to keep your back straight but once you've got that part down, you don't use the stick and instead reach one hand toward the floor while bending. 

Monday was a clean eating day...until I went to my mom's house that evening. She had surgery last week so we all went by to check on her and let the kids see her. She had a bunch of food-loot lying around, gifts from well-wishers, and I helped myself to some peanut brittle, english toffee and ice cream. I know I would have felt better about my day had I skipped all those treats, especially coming off all the camping treats, but what's done is done and I'm doing my best to stay focused the remainder of this week.

Tuesday I skipped the gym. I'd like to tell you it was because I was too busy but really it was more because I procrastinated. I kept pushing how much time I had and then next thing, I had no time. So I came up with a scheme to go today, which is just what I did. I hit the gym before my afternoon private practice sessions. I started with an outside run, running 3 miles in just under 30 minutes, then did back/biceps/PT exercises. By the time I got home I was starving! We had refried black beans (unfortunately the canned ones, which have a lot of fat in them) and fixings for dinner. We've started buying this softer cheese, queso fresco, which might be too good for me to have around. It's like eating a solid chunk of cream. I ended up eating some off my kids' plate that they didn't finish. Bad form, Michelle, bad form. I'm skipping any post-dinner snacking to increase my mojo, if that makes sense.

Finally, thank you all so much for the encouragement, support and enthusiasm for my new career venture. The readers of this blog have taught me so much through the open outpouring of support and the wise tips and feedback I've been given over the years. Not sure I would have stuck around this long without it. Thanks!

ps - the Olympic tri is less than 9 weeks away and I have yet to make/start a training plan. Somebody, I need a kick in the pants!

4 comments:

  1. Golfer's lunge sounds like a great workout. It's nice to have a variation in your workout to beat boredom and to trick your body. I'm going to copy that. I always up for a clean eating challenge but I always failed. :(

    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ibuprofen is my friend! I take two before bed each night and I wake up with no pain or stiffness at all - I credit all the stretching I've been doing in Insanity - love it and I was never a stretcher before!

    I make these stove top "refried" beans all the time - just cook the beans on the stove for 2 hours, and some spicy shit and puree - I add cilantro, chipotle peppers - whatever I feel like. So good and no fat at all! :D

    http://mybizzykitchen.com/2013/03/10/creamy-stovetop-refried-beans/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do something similar to the golfer's lunge & it has helped strengthen my back.
    Some really simple yoga stretches have also helped alot with muscle tension.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I’m so happy your back is feeling better. And VERY happy that you haven’t had to take as much ibuprofen…that’s a huge plus cuz ibuprofen is death to your kidneys.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle