Monday, February 3, 2014

Here's a Tip - Don't Eat Paper

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

Have you seen the Dannon commercial where the woman eats paper? It's so awful. She's sitting at her desk, apparently starving herself to keep thin, and draws a picture of a cupcake or muffin or something, and then starts ripping up the paper and eating it. I was shocked when I saw it. So many things wrong with that commercial not the least of which is practically paying homage to eating disorders. But nowadays they are probably glad to have stirred up some controversy. No such thing as bad attention, right?

Moving on to something MUCH more fun...remember my trip to Los Angeles last year? In just a few days I'll be able to tell you ALL about it! Yay! I'm super excited.

In case you forgot, here I am on the trip with Roni Noone. We had such a great time and I'm finally going to get to share the whole scoop. Thursday I get all the links and will be sharing them like a madwoman I'm sure :)

Ok, I'm done teasing. Now on to food (and alcohol). I had dinner with friends on Saturday night and we celebrated a couple birthdays. The meal was great and I ate more than I needed but still had a hearty slice of dense, yummy, creamy chocolate marble cake. Over the course of the evening I had two glasses of champagne and a glass or two of wine. I was quite full when I went to bed.

The next day I was thinking about the alcohol. I'm not sure I really needed it. Well, of course I didn't need it but, I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure it actually enhanced my experience of the evening. That's why I drink, to have a more enjoyable time. I do enjoy the taste too but would I be drinking if it didn't have alcohol in it? No. If it didn't increase my fun or relaxation or any of it then why do it? Next time we're together I might just forgo the alcohol and see how I feel.

Sunday I lounged around all morning before finally getting off my tush around midday to go for a run. I'd signed up for a bike ride but it was a "rain cancels" event and it was raining, sooo, no ride. It was all up to me to motivate myself out the door. Into the rain. And the cold. But of course, I did it. I put on my cold running tights, a long-sleeved tech top with a microfleece lining, and a running jacket. Oh, and gloves and a headband that covered my ears.

I hit the road with a plan to run six miles, my go-to weekend distance these days. But around mile 2 I was feeling really good so I started to consider going for eight miles instead. Why not seven, I don't know. In any case, I had my Garmin on so I could just meander around until I hit four miles and then retrace my steps. I was closing in on mile 3 when I had to go up a small hill. It also started to rain and the wind picked up. Pounding rain and wind has a way of making me feel like I am not screwing around with this whole fitness thing, "look at me, I'm out here running in the cold and rain, I AM SERIOUS!" Still, I wasn't sure about going another mile and then returning over that hill on my way back but my stubborn streak kicked in and I just had to do it.

Full Garmin stats here


Since my little comeback from pneumonia and whatnot I've been running strictly by feel. I try not to glance at my Garmin too often and focus on what feels really easy in the beginning, and then pick it up as I feel the desire to push.

The last mile was tough. The last 1/8th of a mile nearly killed me. I ran past a bus stop and someone waiting for the bus said "hi" as I was passing. I have no idea if it was a man, woman, alien or animal and all I could do was sort of gasp/grunt in return. Normally I'm a friendly runner but at that moment I didn't have the energy to even look at the person, let alone speak. Hey Kristi, that fastest/last mile was for you sister!

After the run I felt wiped out. And had to have lunch, including another piece of birthday cake to re-energize. My eating has been a bit all-over-the-place lately but the good news is, I'm not being critical of myself or worrying too much about it. I know how this works. Keep doing what I'm doing, that's what works. In time, if I do that, all will fall into place. Right? Right. Er, at least I hope that's right. Ok, I've been doing this for...wait. a. minute...my blogiversary is coming up!! I started WW on/around 2/7/07 and started the blog on 3/25/07, so it's going to be seven years here shortly. So yes, I should know a thing or two by now. At least one would hope.

Ok, the only other thing happening around here is we're starting to plan for Marek's 5th birthday. Five already?! I know, it's crazy. We meandered around on party ideas but landed on a Legos party at home. I could NOT be more excited. I love Legos possibly more than any other toy. I had one of those giant blankets filled with them when I was a kid and loved nothing more than sitting on the floor for hours. Passing on a love for the little plastic bricks brings my heart so much joy. I sat on the kitchen floor for a solid hour tonight building with both Marek and Myra.

I kept saying, "it's almost bedtime guys" and then not moving. I was busy building! They are learning the trick to staying up late, play quietly together and I will not move a muscle toward putting you to bed. When I did finally call it quits they went easily, I think the building put them in a calm mood for sleeping. I love it.

Ok, that's it from me, night all.

6 comments:

  1. That commercial is just too weird. Also, I would rather have a real dessert once in a while than try to pretend like my yogurt was cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Besides, there's either a ton of sugar or fake sugar in those things, I'd rather have plain yogurt with fruit tossed in. So much better. And the commercial, ugh, what were they thinking?!

      Delete
  2. My kids used to be HUGE Lego fans too (we must own at least 100 sets - most of them Star Wars), but we had a Lego birthday party at our house a few years ago and it was a huge hit! There are some great ideas for games and fun things to do with Legos on the web, so have fun with that!

    Thanks for continuing to inspire me and others! You are doing great and look fantastic (love the picture!) and I can't wait to hear about your trip and information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'm excited about the party. And thanks for enjoying and being inspired by my blog, it's a labor of love and this kind of feedback really keeps me going.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle