Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yes, But WHERE?

I came home from work today and despite it being a little windy outside decided to ride my bike to do my errands. I had an appointment about 2.5 miles from my house. Went to that and then rode to the grocery store where I picked up a quart of milk and enough fruits and veggies to get us through the next few days. I put it all in my backpack and then rode home. What fun! It will be so nice when the weather warms up some and I won't freeze my fingertips riding around at dusk.

In a few weeks my office is moving to the same town in which most of my clients live (I'm a social worker if you didn't know). I'm thinking of driving to the office with my bike and then biking to clients' homes for visits. Doesn't that sound cool, green, healthy and fun? Some of my clients will think I've lost my mind, "You have a car, right? So you're riding a bike instead because...?

Reminds me of Miguel's initial reaction to my taking him hiking:

Where are we going?
On a hike.
Yes, but where?
Just hiking around.

He didn't get the concept of walking around, literally, in a circle for recreation. In Honduras one does not do this. If you are so down and out that you had to walk somewhere that was a bad thing. Certainly not something you would do for fun. And the idea of camping was no better.

Umm, let me get this straight. We have a place to live, our own home, and we're going to pack up some things and sleep outside in a tent, cook on a little gas stove, and basically live as if we were homeless. Why would we do that when we have a home?
Well, it's fun. You get to use all your camping gear and hang out by the fire.
But why don't we do that and then just go home at night.
Uhhh, let's just go camping and you'll see.

I'm glad he did. He gets it now and loves it but these were pretty funny conversations. So I wonder if some of my clients, who would love to have cars, will have a similar response.

Wait, don't you have a car?

1 comment:

  1. Loved this post! My mom grew up in Mexico, and it was kind of the same thing when my dad took her camping. "You're making me do what???"

    LOL.

    Enjoy the bike riding!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle