Tuesday, July 8, 2008

If I'm Not Fast, I Might As Well Look Good

Last night, after it cooled off (we're in the middle of another heatwave), Miguel and I headed out for my training ride. A 53 minute ride was on the agenda. We were going to ride our usual ride down Novato Blvd toward Stafford Lake but decided instead to ride toward Lucas Valley Road, a road I'll ride during the tri. Here's our route:


We did a little over 11 miles. On the way home Miguel wanted to take this shorter route over this big a$$ hill. Ah! No! Can't do it! Well, after a few minutes I started feeling like I could give it a try. I made it about 1/2 way up before needing a break - but I made it. Pretty amazing. Miguel declared the hill conquered but I will declare it so when I can ride up with no break :) At its worst it is a 12% grade according to Garmin.

And that's my new jersey!! It's Bert and Ernie. Isn't it cute? It's actually a men's jersey but I love it so I got it anyway. How cute is that?! I can't believe how blinged out I look in all the Pearl Izumi stuff. The socks are Miguel's. I couldn't find any of my socks I like to wear so I borrowed his.

My Polar said I burned 479 calories. Someday I'm going to have to wear both heart rate monitors (Polar and Garmin) to see just how inflated the Garmin numbers are. In general I trust the Polar. It always seems to give reasonable numbers. I have a Polar A5 if you were curious. I'm a big fan of heart rate monitors. It entertains me to no end and gives me some feedback on how hard my body is working vs. how hard it feels like I'm working.

Alright, I've been tagged by TallMama & Matty. [The rules: Link to the person who tagged you. Post the rules on your blog. Write six random things about yourself. Tag six people at the end of your post. Let each person know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.]

6 Random Things About Me:

1. I like Hamburger Helper. Ok, maybe like is too strong a word. I eat Hamburger Helper, and it's not bad. I make it with Lean Ground Turkey Breast and the Points are reasonable. A quick meal that will probably give me cancer one day due to being so heavily processed.

2. Documentaries are my favorite movie genre. Recent faves include Word Wars, For The Bible Tells Me So, 51 Birch St, and Metallica: Some Kind of Monster.

3. I'm trying to be slender with long hair too. Each time I've gotten "in shape" in the past I have short hair. The thing is, when I start exercising hair becomes irritating. I end up chopping it all off. Thus, I've never been skinny and had long hair at the same time. I'm trying, but the urge to cut off my locks grows stronger every day.

4. I was honored by NAMI as part of their 2007 Mental Illness Awareness Week Thank You Campaign. A grandmother was really grateful for my work with her while her son was having trouble. She wrote a nice letter to NAMI and they acknowledged me. These things happen pretty rarely so I hung the letter in my cube.

5. I sunburned my a$$ at Kehena Beach, a "clothing optional" black sand beach on The Big Island of Hawaii. When I was 25 and in the best shape of my life (about 10 pounds less than I am now) this was the closest beach to my place by miles. It took me 2 months of hanging out there before I finally bared all, 1 month to take my top off, 1 more month for the bottoms. After a while you feel silly being the only one with clothes on. Well, I didn't think about the fact that my buns had never seen the light of day. I couldn't sleep for days because of the pain. That's a picture of the actual beach.

6. I'm not a tattoo person. I love them on other people, especially the really nice ones. But I fear I don't know myself well enough to make such a commitment. Isn't that sad? That said, if I ever do an Ironman, I'm getting a tattoo.

Well, there you have it. I'm tagging Megan and Kristy. Wait, you want more pictures? Ok...here's another one of the jersey in which you can see a bit of the back. Then a full frontal shot of the jersey. There are socks too! But I have to have my limits.





Weigh-in comes in only 2 days. Right now I'm actually up a little but hopefully if I continue eating clean until Thursday I can put together a loss. I'll update here for sure!

20 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle! Your new jersey is cute. All your talk about the heart rate monitor really makes me want one...maybe for my birthday I'll drop some hints with Mr. Keen :)
    I have a question: why are there special jerseys for biking? I've always wondered that, maybe you can explain what makes them so awesome. I'm not biking at a level to want one, I just want to know what is up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha ha. Too funny! I gather you ment about being neked? That's funny! I loved reading yours! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Lov Love that jersey!! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jersy is just too cute. Let your hair grow,you are looking good. I didn't know any of those things about you but the more I learn the more I like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snazzy jersey!!!!!

    You have just added one more reason for me to ALWAYS keep my clothes on! tee hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. your pics look really great! and the story about your buns, priceless. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just LOVE fun jerseys!

    Kudos to you for being brave enough for your bum to see the light of day, even if it was painful later!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I love the jersey. For a moment I thought "I need that" but it would be totally copying!! D'oh! I need to find my own totally cute jersey. ;P

    And half-mary = half marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one cute jersey!

    Your post is too funny. I relate to a few of them, especially the hair thing. I'm thisclose to lopping all my hair off because it's annoying the crap out of me! And I grew up on the H' Helper and I haven't sprouted tumors yet, so you *might* be Ok there. :)

    Hooray for PI outlets!

    Nice job on your ride too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the jersey--Think they have one with a penguin?? Great ride also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Hamburger helper too... esp the hasbrown potato one!! Yummy. Your bike shirt is too cute! Can't wait to hear how WI goes on Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE:

    bert and ernie.

    documentaries.

    HAMBURGER HELPER.

    your concept of if youre not fast you may as well look great :)


    lottsa love.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your jersey is so cute! It will have to make people smile when they see you riding by! Keep up the great work, you are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the bert and ernie jersey!

    i am currently shopping for something outstanding to wear for the nike womans marathon. of course i am only doing the half, but still. i need to look fly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the jersey...and loved running in your neck of the woods (I even went to the Target in Novato!) over the weekend. You do live in a beautiful place. And I've never seen so many people on bikes IN MY LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute, cute, cute shirt.

    I have a Polar RS100. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your weight loss journey is SO inspiring!!!! AWESOME!

    And I LOVE that jersey!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Michelle,

    Thanks for the comments. You have an amazing story. Keep up the good work!
    I was 38 and 42 when I had my kids. It was challenging. I did my first tri in 1986. I did stop RACING for about 9 years, but I DID NOT stop exercising.
    Watch my blog for a "My Story" link in the next few days. It will give you more info about how I got to this point in my life.
    Take care,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Hamburger Helper too! Haven't had it in forever, but we have Tuna Helper about once a week right now. Good stuff!

    Kudos to you for being brave enough to bare all on a beach...and sorry about your bum. But what a story!

    And I love the jersey! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok...that bike shirt ROCKS! Do they have one in Spongebob?

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle