Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Many Rivers to Cross

Wow, has it really been a week since my last post? Bad blogger! I want to thank people who reached out to me to ask where the heck I was. The internet can be a vast space of emptiness but when you make connections with people it can be so much more. Thank you for caring about little ol' me :)

As far as my absence...There is an explanation but I can't really go into details yet. I can say there's been something going on in my life that has really derailed things of late. I'm hoping the dust will settle in the next several weeks and then I can tell you more. I've been trying to get in workouts here and there when I can but they've generally been sparse. Sometimes life is about treading water.

Speaking of water, I have some fun news! Back in April I told you about a rafting trip Miguel and I had planned. Well it was this past weekend! We got up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and drove to Camp Haswell in Yolo County, about 2 hours northeast, to join up with Whitewater Adventures. We put all our gear in a bus and were shuttled to the rafting spot. People were already drinking and getting kind of loud and it was only 10am. I worried I'd be miserable all weekend with rowdy drunk people.

We got to our rafting spot and had a little safety lesson, "Most of you won't fall out of your boats today but if you do...". We got our boat, which was sort of like a kayak raft, shaped like a kayak but filled with air like a raft, very comfortable, and off we went in the water. In these situations I still find myself thinking, "I never would have done this before." I know I say this a lot but being so overweight really got in the way of my living life. Sometimes I feel sad at all I've missed out on, all the time I wasted on the couch. Then I turn it around and just be grateful I'm moving now.

So off we went on the river. About 50% of the time the water was calm and just carried us along while we chatted and enjoyed the scenery. The other half the time we contended with rushing white waters, but never anything too hard core. Here's what the 2-man boats looked like.


And Miguel and I enjoying a calm part of the river.


And a not so calm part...


Can you believe that picture? We were having so much fun!! Whitewater Adventures were great, they take care of everything, including packing a lunch and putting it on your raft. You can pack drinks and whatever else you want to bring on your raft too. But whatever you do bring, it will get wet! These pics are sorta crappy because they were all taken with a disposable waterproof camera, and good thing! I got dumped off the boat in the rapids more than once. So much for us not falling out of our boats! It was all a blast though and only a little bit scary for a few seconds there.

When we arrived at our camping spot all our gear was there, we just had to pitch our tent and wait for dinner. Dinner was too much, lots of snacky appetizers (spinach dip and bread, cheese and crackers, guacamole, m&m's, and on and on) followed by grilled steaks, monstrous baked potatoes, corn on the cob...and lots of butter and sour cream. For desert there were Oreo cookies and milk. OMG, I don't even want to think about how many calories I must have consumed. I just hoped I burned enough calories rafting to burn off some of it! After dinner there was a disco dance party, in the middle of nowhere! This is a serious operation. But I was pooped after all the sun and rafting so I hit the hay and tried to sleep.

This is the camping area. Isn't it pretty?


Up and at 'em at 6:15am for a second day of rafting. Breakfast first, lots of danishes and fruit plus scrambled eggs and homestyle potatoes. Ugh, more calories. Back on the rafts for another full day on the river.

Here we are cruising along...


And here I am stopped for lunch. Can you believe that's me? It's going to take a while to get my mental image lined up with my actual image.


We rafted back to our starting point and there was all our camping gear waiting for us. If you can't tell already I highly recommend Whitewater Adventures. We had a blast and didn't have to think about a thing! Oh, except not drowning :)

I fell asleep about 20 minutes into the ride home, I was exhausted! I was hoping to get in some exercise on Monday but it didn't happen. Both Miguel and I were still feeling tired from the weekend. Today, Tuesday, I was feeling tired too. I got home around 4:30pm and started this blog. I realized I should try to get some exercise in before therapy and then had the great idea to walk there! It's about 3 miles away and if I hurried I'd make it on time. It took me 40 minutes to get there. Not bad. I took a slightly more leisurely pace coming home. Miguel is at a Giants game with some friends and I was planning to order Chinese takeout for dinner but after my walk decided to eat something healthier. I made some rice and chicken breast with one of my favorite Cost Plus sauces, Shere Kahn Korma. It's rich and creamy and yet fairly low in calories! And a quick meal to boot. Do I sound like a commercial?

So I was planning to include some ideas I've had recently about falling off the wagon but this post is plenty long. Next time. But just so you know, I've not fallen off of it...I'm hanging on for dear life! It's a wild ride but I know it's worth it...I'm worth it.

26 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful life you're living, Michelle! Just like you imagined..or maybe even better. I think last April when you planned this you were revving up, but I bet you're amazed at how easy it all is now. You continue to be the image that inspires me to keep to my plan. Thanks for that.
    Love you
    -K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see you back, Michelle! I didn't realize how much I really do enjoy your posts and how they inspire me, until there were no new ones! ;)

    Anyway, your trip looks like it was awesome! I hope everything is A-OK, and just keep holding on to the wagon -- we'll all help you back on in no time. Here, grab my hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice weekend. I LOVE that last photo of you. That's a keeper. Hang that up somewhere. You look FABULOUS and so happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH YOU'RE BACK!! I have missed your blogs, although we have spoken this week.

    YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! Frame that picture so you can remind yourself how beautiful you are, inside and out.

    Keep hanging on and you know you always have friends to help boost you back into the wagon.

    xo from NY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that looks like so much fun! Whitewater rafting is one of those things on my list to do that I would never have done before, too.

    I love your observation that "sometimes life is about treading water."

    Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hanging on for dear life never looked so awesome! You look like a natural in that kayak raft thingy! I always remember how much emotional energy it can take just to take care of myself -- the smallest emotional speedbump can sometimes throw me off my simplest plans or guidelines. I hope you can share it with us, eventually! And until then, hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to have you back. Hope things work out and get back to "normal" ASAP.

    What a great trip! You are so fortunate to live in such a great part of the country. I've never been out your way, maybe someday....

    You look great and happy. Remember that moderation is the key, which you already know. It's OK to "fall off" once in a while for a bit. You're committed so I know you're right back at it.

    Have a great week. Look forward to hearing from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rafting adventure looks like great fun and you look so fit and healthy enjoying every moment! Good for you!

    I hope things otherwise start to smooth out for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missed you blogging the last week! The rafting photos are fantastic! An that picture of you.....gotta frame that! You have been a true inspiration to me! Ordered a Trek 7100 bike yesterday, and can't wait to ride! So much so that I am thinking of training for the Sr. Olympics next year! Of course I feel "young" at 54, but next year I'd already be in the 2nd age class since they start at age 50!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad for the update, you have been missed!
    I hope the dust settles down for you, take everything one step at a time!
    The trip sounded awesome, I totally want to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, it's good to see you back!

    What ever is going on I hope it has a good ending or beginning.

    The rafting looks like a total blast! What a beautiful area. I'll bet anything you slept well that night!

    The actual image and the image in your head will eventually meld. You've had a lot of changes this past year. You should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that pic - it is so inspiring and you look damn amazing!!

    The trip sounds awesome. Rafting is something I toy with but I'm generally a chicken shit so don't really know...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun trip! It sounds wonderful but I don't think I'll ever do it. I think I'm mostly afraid of falling in, hitting my head, drowning, things that are all pretty irrational but still scary. The camping and disco party sounded good though :)

    Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back -
    Love the pictures that is one trip that I really want to take - looks like a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back Michelle!

    Your trip sounds fun, fun, FUN!

    I've always wanted to do a white water raft trip. It looks like a great adventure and the scenery looks fantastic.

    I know what you mean about mental pictures taking a while to catch up with the "real thing". That is a very weird disconnect, isn't it?

    Thank you for the nice note on my blog re: Gorby. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Michelle,

    Glad to see you back in blog space.
    Sending positive vibes for your water treading....It really is whats needed sometimes, I hope things turn out well for you.

    The rafting looks awesome...and so do you! Hopefully your self image catches up soon. IN the meantime really listen to any compliments that come your way...people don't go to the bother of making them up...they really mean them!

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are back... you were missed. I hope that your "dust" isn't to stressful. I hope that you everything will work out. Great pictures... looks like a blast.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  18. great pictures! looks like a beautiful trip. hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look fabulous in your pictures. THe trip looks like it was a blast! Are you already dreaming of doing it again?

    As for falling off the bandwagon. I have no doubts that you won't pick yourself up and hop back on. The benefits are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. those are some really great pictures capturing you living your life! And the photo w/ the sun shining on you - you really do look amazing.

    Hope the dreailing is contained and all will be good on that front soon...

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG...I have ALWAYS wanted to do that...but then we had kids...and so on and so on...but one day (now that they're older) we WILL GO WHITE WATER RAFTING...looks like so much FUN.

    And you look absolutely fabulous.

    Glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous photos.....rafting is such a blast!

    I know how you feel about feeling like you have fallen off the wagon and that you might "slip," but you are not the same person you were before. Even with the indulgences, you are still a beautiful, active, healthy woman. We'll never be totally out of the woods when it comes to a gain, but you are not that person anymore. So relax and look at those gorgeous photos and keep up the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry to hear things are stressful lately but MAN those rafting pictures are gorgeous!

    I am with whomever said to frame that last one of you. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks like a lot of fun. Man... I need to move to California, Illinois is so boring!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Michelle: That looks like a really fun trip, and you look like you are in great shape...it takes some courage to raft like that! You would think that they would offer some healthier choices?!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle