Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Things Only Get Better

So far, this week is going pretty well. I haven't made any drastic changes in the food department but most of the out of control eating has stopped. I got on the scale though and I am nearing 170! That really freaked me out. This weight gaining thing is going to be hard psychologically, especially when I'm going over what the nutritionist recommended. I am constantly feeding myself positive affirmations about what I am now doing right and reminding myself that I can't undo previous food choices. I am back to see Christine, the nutritionist, next Friday and will have to admit I haven't been tracking (which I just sneaked into admitting here). To give you an idea of my current food I'll run down today's food plan:

Breakfast: Special K Protein Plus & FF Milk
Snack: Banana with 2 TB of Simply Jif Peanut Butter
Lunch: Tri Tip (probably 5+ ounces), steamed rice (~a cup), zucchini (look Ma! It's a veggie!)
Snack: FF Cottage Cheese and Mixed Fruit Cup in Lite Syrup
Dinner: ?? Probably some incarnation involving Ground Turkey Breast, Roasted Broccolini w/ Olive Oil
Dessert: Some 100 calorie treat

Hopefully I can stick to this and not sneak in a few cookies, graham crackers, chips, M&M's, or whatever else tempts me.

I had my monthly OB appointment on Monday afternoon. I was very anxious to confirm that the little guy is alright. I think having had a miscarriage just makes me very nervous. I held my breath while the doctor looked for his heartbeat with the Doppler thing. When she found it I teared up and just took it in, "I never get tired of hearing that." She just let it sit there for a few moments while I listened. Now that I am officially, officially out of the 1st trimester and have confirmed he's alive and well in there I am feeling much more relaxed.

So I went to my swim class on Monday and once again left feeling on top of the world. I can't say often enough how happy I am to have that class. I think it's keeping me sane despite the scale. We did some drills that involved swimming 3 laps fast. I was definitely breathing hard but I don't think I overdid it. Plus it was for 1 min 15 sec at a time. And I learned have a pretty strong breaststroke kick. I was flying by the other swimmers :) I'm looking forward to going again this evening. I don't know what my 3rd workout type activity will be this week. It's supposed to be hot this weekend so I'm thinking of the beach for Saturday with Miguel, which won't be a workout. So Sunday I'll have to come up with something. Maybe I'll visit that place, what's it called? The gym? I have been wanting to do some light weight training.

Guess what? I got a haircut!! I've been thinking about it for a while and finally took the plunge earlier this week. Nothing too drastic, just shorter, with some layers in the back and around my face. I don't have my normal camera so here's a phone picture. I'm really liking it. Part of why I went shorter was so I would wear it down more often. So far, so good. But man am I getting a lot of gray hairs!

Well, that's it for me. I'm off to enjoy my lunch.

29 comments:

  1. As long as you're eating healthy things when you're hungry tracking is ok I am sure. It is hard to let the weigh on when we have been working so hard to get it off.

    I love the hair. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new cut is fabulous!! You look all glowing and everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are doing pretty good. I like the idea that you can't "undo" past food choices. That's probably especially important during pregnancy (to keep nutrition steady?) but that's a good thing to remember for the non-pregnant as well! That can help me, at least, not think in terms of punishing my food choices after an indulgence, etc.

    Your cut looks fabulous! I almost didn't recognize you! Love the soft curls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are doing really well! you look sooooooooooooo happy in the picture with your new "do"! LOVE IT!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your day looks pretty good! I try to have a fruit or veggie at every meal (and when you eat 6 meals it adds up!).

    I wouldn't worry too much about the weight thing, try your best and that's that. If you eat something bad you just do. Better to enjoy this time in your life than to stress too much about eating an extra cookie!!

    I love love love the new hair cut you wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey you cutie, you. Gotta love those curls.
    Glad to hear all's well in the baby department..or is that compartment?
    Also nice to hear that you're liking (or at least eating) veggies again.

    The swimming sounds fun, and wow, maybe you'll be a swim racer by the time you're through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the haircut is so cute! I love it! and it must be hard to see yourself gain weight, I know I would freak out, but its completely normal and its not like you are gaining weight because you are out of control or because you are using food inappropriately. just remind yourself you are stil in control and can still make decisions to eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Michelle,

    Love your haircut!

    There's nothing better than hearing that heartbeat is there....well actually....holding that wee boy for the first time will totally top it....but in the lead up I LOVE the heartbeat.

    You're doing a great job
    And looking fab

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE YOUR HAIR!!! You look fantastic, you really really do.

    Congrats on passing those other swimmers, see being preggers cannot slow you down.

    Hearing that heartbeat must be music to your ears. I cannot wait to meet that little man.

    xox from NY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on what everyone else said - cute hair cut!

    Glad to hear the pregnancy is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you know you can rent (or buy on ebay) one of those doppler things. I did with my first child and loved listening to her hb every night. I had just bought one a few days before the miscarriage in Nov. last year. I have it for the next baby. It definately calmed my fears. Email me if you are insterested in links.
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're hair is adorable! Keep up the good work with the workouts and making healthy food choices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! Congratulations on your wonderful news, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. VERY cute cut!

    Glad you have the swimming - you will love love LOVE being in the water as time goes on, and baby grows!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, I made it home on Tuesday with a sore butt and lots of hope that I'll get through my little weight loss rut. I clicked away 11 miles on my way home, which I think is my longest ride ever! I did some ride/walk up the big hill - I attributed it to my heavy backpack full of work clothes =). Love the new hair cut photo! You're swimming is making me consider putting on my swimsuit again, maybe at my 1/2 marathon this weekend I'll check out the triathlon and see what it's all about!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stay positive. You are doing so great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hair looks awesome!

    Congrats on your new peanut and making it to the second tri!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the cut...You look completely adorable.

    Your technical knowledge of medical devices (e.g. Doppler thing) far exceeds mine :-))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the haircut. Hang in there as far as the weight is concerned. I know it's tough, but it will be OK. Focus on healthy eating, not so much how much you weigh. Enjoy the pregnancy as much as possible--time goes so very fast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on the pregnancy! After all the emphasis on weight loss, I'm sure it's hard to let yourself gain, but remember, it's the baby gaining, not you. :) Great haircut, looks easy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Swim classes make everything better. Even though I'm not a great swimmer, I love being in the pool. It's always been fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your hair. You are a natural beauty with those loose waves framing your face.

    Happy to hear about the baby and wishing you and baby boy continued health throughout the pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. YAY for the heartbeat!!!!!!

    And cute cut!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the balance is healthy eating for healthy weight gain.

    Cute hair cut too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that menu sounds great! You are doing so well, don't get nervous. I admire you for continuing your workouts.

    That haircut is so flattering! Woman, did your hair get curlier? Hormones?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute haircut! It looks great on you! And Congratulations on doing so well in the eating department. I always told myself that if I was craving something it was just the BABY craving it. The BABY needed it! You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle