Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Stress, Changes, and a Good Time for All

Wow, time flies when you're having fun. Or when you're crazy stressed out. Unfortunately it's been more of the latter for me. But things are settling some now so I can finally share some updates. The biggest update is I got a job!! Taking this new position was a very big decision for myself and my growing family. At present I work in the next town over. My commute, depending on when I leave for work is anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes. And I'm never that far from home. The new job is in San Francisco. An hour commute, minimum, plus being far from home. Miguel already works in The City so we might be able to carpool together. Still, we're talking a 10+ hour day. The thought of that with a new baby really caused me to take pause. But then I watched the news, remembered that the economy is going down the tubes, and realized this is not a good time to be jobless.

I was also nervous about starting a job already pregnant. Would my new boss be upset that he hired a pregnant woman without knowing it? I decided, after a lot of thinking, just to tell him. He responded wonderfully. He strongly encouraged me to take the position and assured me we would work out any issues around the pregnancy. Now this is a man I want to work for. Further, this a great opportunity, working for a well established institution with a great compensation package doing an interesting job.

So, this is my last week with my current employer. I am taking two weeks off between jobs and have a lot to squeeze into that time. Miguel and I decided to take a final pre-baby vacation. We were all over the map as far as where to go, at one point furiously planning a trip to Egypt! But, we settled on Phoenix. A long way from Egypt I know. In the end we didn't want to spend a ton of time (or money!) getting to our vacation and recognized that what we most wanted was to relax. So, we're off to Phoenix at the end of the week. We're spending about half the time at a spa/golf resort (The Boulders) and the other half at the Grand Canyon. I am so, SO, SO ready for a vacation. The next week will include visiting my grandparents in Huntington Beach, getting my 20 week ultrasound (at 21 weeks actually) and maybe squeezing in a visit to the new California Academy of Sciences. Then the new job starts. Whew, it tires me out just thinking about it.

So the health/fitness goals have been moving along at, well, let's just call it an acceptable pace. I have not missed a swimming class, something of which I am very proud. I basically make myself go and am almost always happy I did. The two weekends before this last one involved a lot of nesting type activities and no fitness type activities. We almost have the baby room completely cleaned out, the garage is a lot neater and our living room has been pared down to make room for a pack-n-play or baby bouncer or whatever stuff will be coming into our lives.

Finally this past weekend I got out there again and had a fabulous day!! We rose early on Sunday morning and met at the SF Ferry Building for a group ride. We rode over the Golden Gate Bridge, through Sausalito and to Tiburon. This ride is often called the Paradise Loop, and I've been wanting to do it since I started riding. Only difference being we took the ferry back into SF from Tiburon instead of riding our bikes back. Still, it was over 30 miles and enough to kick my butt.
Here we are re-grouping on the other side of the bridge before we head into Sausalito.
Am I looking preggers or what? Everyone was so nice about waiting for me since I was a bit of a slow poke. I wore my heart rate monitor and anytime my heart rate got to the high range I slowed down. All in all I felt great and it made me very optimistic about my upcoming triathlon run.

To top it off, it was Fleet Week in SF and we were treated to a fabulous air show by The Blue Angels. Days like that just make me so happy and grateful. Miguel is a wonderful husband, we had a great day together. The weather couldn't have been more perfect and the pregnancy is going along without a hitch.
Speaking of the little stowaway, we purchased this doppler and have been listening to his heartbeat whenever we feel like. It's an amazing, miraculous sound that we never tire of. If we can figure it out a way, I'm hoping I can post a sound file of it to share. We are nowhere near a name for the little guy. But as Miguel keeps reminding me, we have time.

I'm going to see the nutritionist tomorrow and I'm guessing I'll have gained about 5 pounds. You might recall I was supposed to gain no more than 1.5 pounds. What can I say? While I'm not doing the best I can I am trying. I'm hoping that with my stress now going down I'll have more energy to resist the "bad" comfort foods I've been wanting. I'm going to strive to eat healthy and exercise during my vacation. At least I know I'll be relaxing, which is good for all of us too.

That's my update. I have been neglecting your blogs as well as my own these past couple of weeks but I promise to stop by soon. I know you've all been up to incredible things and I want to know all about them!!

21 comments:

  1. Oh! You do look pregnant! How exciting! What a fun ride that looked like. And great shot of the blue Angels. They're hard to catch cause they're going so fast.
    Have a wonderful time in AZ, and let me know if you want the boys' numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new job! And how awesome that your new boss is so supportive. Your vacation sounds amazing, what a fabulous gift to yourself during an otherwise stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the job! I think its good you were honest up front...we had someone who "suddenly" was 6 months pregnant right after she had been around long enough for the insurance to kick in - didnt look good, like she had something to hide. so I think its great you were upfront and it sounds like they appreciated that. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mama...you look great, healthy and pregnant!

    You so deserve this time off to relax and spend some QT with your wonderful husband.

    So happy about the job, you're making the right decision working for a man like that. I could not be happier for you.

    xoxo from NY

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look wonderful! Congratulations on the new job! Your boss sounds great. It's nice that you can commute with Miguel, so it won't seem so daunting. I'm glad to hear everything is going so well for you and the baby. Good for you and the swimming! Enjoy your trip to Arizona. oh, and, just so you know, we were picking out names for our daughter when I was in labor! It all worked out and she still likes her name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at little, pregger's you...you look wonderful! Hooray on the wonderful new boss and the job in The City...and on taking a vay-cay in AZ and not in Egypt (very wise...a trip to Egypt? Now THAT would have been stressful!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do look pregnant, and you look fabulous!
    Congrats on the new job, I have been struggling with a very similar decision myself. Glad it all worked out well for you.
    Have fun on your vacation and remember to relax!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the little belly you're sportin there - you look fabulous! Glad to hear about the new job, it sounds like a positive situation for you.

    Have a great couple of weeks off and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!!! Congrats on the new job!! And you look so fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the new job... I think I need to move to CA... tri season has ended here in the midwest... unless you count the upcoming indoor tri's... and while we've had a few unseasonable warm days, fall is definately settling in... WAAAA... I like the heat of summer.

    Enjoy your time in AZ... maybe there is even a town called Egypt AZ you could visit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the job and have a FANTASTIC holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the new job! Enjoy your vacation and the time off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos!! And I'm glad the little one is doing good too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look cute and healthy!

    You will LOVE the Boulders and the Canyon. I grew up in NW Phoenix and get so psyched when people go to visit. Enjoy and post pics!

    The Canyon will be chilly, BTW, so take long pants, long shirt/sweater, and a jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Michelle,

    I'm glad things are working out on the employment front!

    LOVE the pregnant belly pic. I love that feeling when you know you look pregnant instead of just a little big around the belly.
    I remember explaining to someone when I was 27 weeks (as I had to for months) "I am pregnant" and he gave me a look like 'duh' and said "yeah I realised"!

    Can you feel kicks yet?
    Hope you're having many happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful news about the new job. I was 5 months pregnant when I was hired for a job and did as you did -- told them right up front. The big difference was there was no Family Leave Act, so if I didn't return after the mandatory 6 weeks of (unpaid) maternity leave, they weren't that bad off. I'd imagine it's a little harder to convince employers now that you're gauranteed up to 3 months if you want it.

    It definitely makes child care more of a challenge. Maybe you're lucky and will have a live-in nanny and not have that worry. Otherwise, I'd advise finding someone close to work and not close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your post sounds so upbeat, I can feel the happiness in it. How wonderful that you'll get to take a trip with hubby before the baby. How wonderful you found a nice job with a great new boss too. Sounds like things are going great. I wouldn't worry about the weight, a good 25-30 lbs falls right off after the baby comes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been out of the loop for a little while, but so glad to hear things are going well for you all around! Keep up the good work, and have a great vacation!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG you look soooo cute!! Love thepics and glad you are feeling better. Don't sweat gaining 5 lbs...your not going to have any problems losing it!!

    Az sounds like my kind of vaca!!! yeah have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing bike ride! Congratulations on the great pregnancy so far, the new job, and keeping up the excercising. You're more than half way there!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle