Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Final Countdown and Updates Galore

36 weeks 2 days. 3 weeks 5 days until my due date...only 26 days away. Oh. my. goodness. I know being a first timer I might be late so I'm telling myself to be prepared to give birth anytime in March. March 13th is just an estimate. March 13th is just an estimate. March 13th is just an estimate. Alright, how about some updates??

Baby update: The baby is healthy and everything is going well. I have been measuring two weeks ahead for a couple months now when they do the tape measure measuring ("fundal height"). Via my last ultrasound at 25 weeks I measured a week ahead. What could this mean? Well, when you're measuring "ahead" or "big" doctors might start talking about inducing early or preparing for a c-section, two things I want to avoid. I did some reading and concluded the tape measure method isn't particularly accurate, especially if done by different people each time, which it almost always is in my case. I'm not going to worry about it unless I start measuring increasingly ahead (i.e., more than 2 weeks ahead). For now it's been consistent. We'll get another ultrasound around week 38 to check the little guy again. Oh, and he was head down at my last appointment...let's hope he stays that way.

We don't have a name yet. We have a list and unless lightening strikes we'll be naming him after he's born. I guess in the end it's just been too hard for us to name someone we haven't met. This naming thing is so much bigger than I ever appreciated. I mean, it's someone's name, our son's name, which he'll have for the rest of his life. Puts some pressure on for sure!

I'm having a baby shower next weekend (thanks Reina, Joan and Kim!!) and am very excited about it. It's incredible how much "stuff" comes into your life when you have a baby. We spent this weekend re-organizing closets to make room for the little guy's accoutremonts. We haven't baby proofed the place yet but Miguel is feeling like we have a little time since it's not until he's crawling that we have to worry. When do babies start crawling anyway? Man, I'm woefully uneducated in the baby development arena.


Body update: I'm feeling pretty good generally. I have aches and pains, some days are better than others in this department. I get cranky sometimes, but not too often (though, I will admit, the frequency is creeping up). Here's a post I wrote a few days ago on the pregnancy forum I frequent:
"30 days to go. I hope I make it. I've been struggling this past week. Tired, feeling ineffective at work, my thinking is slow and I just feel sort of in a daze and I'm not used to it. It's getting me down. I feel like I want to run away from everything. Blech. I'm ready to meet the little guy and have a very tangible reason for all this."
Like I said, some days are better than others. I've been feeling alright about my weight gain, 30 pounds, but really not wanting to gain much more. I wish that influenced my food choices but I have to admit, I'm pretty indiscriminate these days. My doc said it'd be fine if I gained no more weight, or at least not more than 5 pounds. Of course I hear, "You can gain five more pounds." I am looking forward to getting back to Weight Watchers. Here's a pic of me from just the other day.


Mostly I've been in awe at what my body is doing. The fact that I'm making another human being is just mind blowing. And that it's had the ability all along and was just sitting dormant. I look down and see my belly moving around, and feel him kicking and rolling around in there and, wow, is all I can say. I am so so so grateful that everything is working just as it is meant to.

Speaking of that...labor. Ahhh, labor. I know it's coming but I'm probably in denial. We took our hypnobirthing class, which was very encouraging. I haven't been practicing the relaxation techniques. No good excuse for that. But we did choose a doula, which comforts me to no end. She's very sweet and has lots of tools in her chest to help me manage. Miguel is very supportive of the natural childbirth route and we're going to write up our preferences to give to the nurses and doctors when we get to the hospital. I have faith in my body and in my ability to do what nature made it to do. Am I sounding like a hippie or what?


Nursery update: We tried to paint a border to add a little flair but we failed entirely. So we splurged and hired an artist friend to paint the border. She also painted a scene matching our bedding above the crib. I am SO HAPPY with it!!

This is the painting above the crib:

Here's a close up! Seriously, how cute is that?! After he's born and we presumably have a name she's going to paint his name above and to the left and add a dragonfly that will match the dragonfly in the bedding pic below.


This is the bedding.



And this is the border. Isn't it cute?!



She also put a few of the dragonflies near the ceiling. I am so thrilled, which makes me happy because we were concerned about spending the money. Yay!

Etc Updates: I'm fighting off anxiety about how we'll survive without my income while I'm off work. On one hand I feel so strongly about wanting to have time to bond with the little guy and on the other I worry about finances. Miguel and I still need to sit down and go over the numbers to prepare ourselves. I just hope we don't have to wipe out our emergency fund altogether. I'm so envious of countries that pay full income during maternity leave...and then struck with how much I have to be grateful for. We'll survive. My mom has offered to help with the insurance (which we found out we will have to pay once I'm off disability (which only lasts 6 weeks!)). That will help a lot.

I heard something recently, "Anxiety is looking into the future and finding a problem." That really struck me. Why would I want to find problems in the future that haven't happened yet? I read an article about that plane that went down the other day and the folks who died on it and was struck again, anxiety and worry are so wasteful. Life is short, life can be so rich and wonderful, enjoy every positive thing that comes along. So I'm trying not to let myself worry about money. If things aren't going well we will make new decisions at the time to manage. Until then, no need to worry.

Speaking of being off, my boss has been so supportive about my taking leave. I couldn't ask him for more, which is just an enormous relief. I struggle with feeling guilty about leaving while the program is still starting up but look forward to when I can return and really get into some project ideas that are floating around in my head.

Well, that's about all I can think of. Something tells me this is a long post. And something tells me the next time you hear from me might just be when I have a picture of a little baby to post!! Whoa, it's just so hard to grasp that all this is going to result in a baby in my arms. I can't fathom what it's like to be a mom, to hold my baby (outside my womb, that is), to have a third person in our home. Honestly I think I'm in a bit of denial that this is even happening! But indeed it is. Wish me luck!

26 comments:

  1. Oh Michelle,

    I've been wondering how you are going a lot lately.
    You look fantastic!
    SUCH an exciting time. You don't need to baby proof yet at all, They start rolling around the place att roughly 4-5 months and crawling at 6-8 months!

    I have everything crossed that the birth goes as you wish it to, iT sounds like a doula is a great idea. And no matter what happens, you;ll be holding a beautiful baby soon!

    If you have any questions at all that you think I might be able to help with e-mail me bekleds@yahoo.com.au

    I can't wait to see photos of your little bundle of joy! Such big joy that will ROCK your life!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was sooooooooooooooo good to hear from you with an update! you look so happy and have such a good outlook on what is going to be happening in your life within the next month. My thoughts are with you and I can't wait until your next post! Best wises to you, the hubby and the new baby once he arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for updating..Love the rooms and you look fabulous. How exciting

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look incredible!! Glowing!! Thank you for sharing this special time with us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. go, mama, go! you look really stunning in that picture, really. i can't believe it's coming up so soon!

    glad to hear you have a doula to help you, in the hospital they can be a lifesaver to help you avoid interventions you don't want.

    best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you posted. I'd been wondering how you were doing. You look absolutely wonderful.

    Enjoy the next couple of weeks (sounds like you are) and yes...post photos of "baby-aspiring" ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look terrific! I'm glad you and Miguel are thinking seriously about the baby's name...I sometimes wonder about some people who don't consider the consequences later in life and give their children too unique of a name. Good luck to you in the final month. And be grateful you are having children now and not 20 years ago when I gave birth. Then, you typically had 4-6 weeks (four if you gave birth normally and six if it required surgery) and it was back to work. And, rarely was it PAID maternity leave. Most women just built up vacation time instead to keep an income coming in. A lot has changed for the better since the federal family leave act was passed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to hear that all is going well! I can't wait to see pics of the little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is all so exciting! thanks for the update and look forward to seeing you tomorrow! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having a baby sure gives you plenty to ponder! I felt as you did about the name. We were IN LABOR when we were deciding on a name for our daughter. 25 years later she still likes her name. :) Having child-birthing classes does help, even if you don't practice as much as you think you should. Knowledge is powerful!

    The room is adorable!

    You look terrific and healthy!

    Thanks for the update. It looks like I'm not the only one who was wondering how you were doing. :)

    Take care and happy labor day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering what was going on. Glad to hear things are well. Love the babies room, adorable. Can't wait to see the little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so nice to hear from you! The room is adorable, hiring an artist is such a great idea!!
    You look amazing, don't sweat the gain. It will totally be worth it.
    I can't wait to see pictures and hear what name you pick.
    Prayers and hugs with you over the next month!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great! The room is adorable! And I can't believe you are doing a natural birth (I say drugs, please!).

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look amazing! I am so excited for you. Having a baby is such a life-changing experience.

    Thanks for updating us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. michelle, you look great! i can't wait to meet the little guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so glad to get a post from you! you look fantastic, and I cant believe that you are so close to your due date!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Michelle, You look absolutely beautiful!

    The little guy's room is so fun. I love the circles in the animals...and the dragonflies. Money well spent.

    You're so right about the worrying...it doesn't help a single thing, and it often spoils your enjoyment of the present. I love that definition of anxiety.

    Hope the birth is close to how you imagine it, and no matter what, at the end you get to meet him. I am sooo excited, and of course crying already.

    Love you and Miguel, and baby already
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY!!! I was so excited to see a new post from you as I was wondering how you were. Ooooh I am just excited for you guys! You look great and the room is so cute. Thank you for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you are going to do GREAT! This is all very exciting and wonderful.

    I'll be thinking of you and anxiously awaiting pics of the new, expanded family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that went so fast! I bet you just can't wait to meet the little guy! I'm glad to hear that everything is going so well. Trust your body. You've taken care of it and it will treat you right!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the update! You look so so amazing! I love your bump! The room is fab, the border is well worth the money!

    Can't wait to see the little man! I'd be scared shitless of the labour too but it sounds like your plans will make it easier! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I came across your blog about a year ago while searching for Tri info. I have to say, you look absolutely beautiful pregnant. It's the best pic you have up! I'm a mom of three boys, five-year-old twins, and an insane two-year-old. I had to let you know that the anxiety you're feeling right now is of course understandable, but also hormonal. It will get worse when the baby is born, especially if you're nursing. Just know that it's your body's way of keeping the little one safe. You're going to worry about everything. Don't freak, you will level out. Maybe not until you stop nursing though! I felt the need to pass on the info, I wish someone had warned me. Oh, and the nursery is amazing! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Michelle, Just stumbled across your blog and read it from the bottom to the top...(currently thinking of having kids so enjoying reading about other active womens' pregnancy journeys) - I love the photos you guys took of the Grand Canyon and hearing of your bike rides - and running 6 miles in a triathlon - what a champion Mum-to-be! And I agree with one of the other girls - your most recent picture is a stunner, you look very healthy and happy. Wishing you all the best for the next few weeks/months, birth and nursing/sleeping,

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad to hear all is going so well!! I'm so excited for you. That bedding/nursery decoration are ADORABLE!!!

    Take it easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You look beautiful!!! The nursery is gorgeous! You are going to be a wonderful mom!!!!

    Totally understand the name thing--with our first son, we didn't name him until he was born. We just didn't know. Now our 2nd one, we had his name picked out before hand and it soooo fits him! His name is Izaac and it means laughter and that boy laughs more than anyone! He is hilarious! Anyway....you are going to love being a mom. It is the absolutely best thing in the world--and boys are awesome! They love their mamas!! :) Good luck to you on the birth and labor process. I hope everything goes the way you want it to. Can't wait to hear his birth story, name, and see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thinking of you. Hope things are going great!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle