Monday, April 20, 2009

A Hot Weekend and a Shady Trail

A heatwave in the middle of April? Yep. It's damn hot! As I said in my last post we were planning a hike. I searched out a hike that was shady and flat. Both Miguel and I are sorely out of shape and we didn't want the baby to be in the sun so shady, flat and...gorgeous were the criteria. I wanted Marek's first hike to be a pretty one, even though he basically hitched a ride on his dad.

We headed out in the afternoon to the Sky Oaks Trailhead in Fairfax and arrived around 3pm. It was still plenty warm out but there was a nice breeze. We can't figure out which lake we walked around...was it Bon Tempe or Lagunitas? We either walked 2.5 miles or 3.5. About 2/3 of the way Marek decided he was hungry so we found a bench near the lake and parked it for a bit. Breastfeeding in the wild like that made me feel like a crunchy granola mom, which, truthfully, I am not.

Here we are! Miguel's carrying Marek in a Baby Bjorn Active and I've got the Camelbak.

This is the bench we were lucky enough to find. That's a happy post-meal Marek.

And even happier hanging out with his dad. Actually, he looks like he's about to throw a jab to his dad's chin!


What a fun afternoon. I think we'll be hitting up this trail again, it's just so perfect. Next time I'll wear my Garmin so we can figure out how far it is and maybe which lake?

Along the trail we ran into a dad pulling his son in a Burley trailer. We've talked about these but were scared the kid'd get hurt if we fell. We chatted with the dad and found out the trailer doesn't tip. These things are not cheap but we're thinking to save up for one. Miguel will definitely be doing the pulling! I'll ride caboose and keep an eye on the LO. Anyway, it'll be a bit before Marek has the muscle to sit up in one of these things so we have time to think it over.

Our next purchase is probably going to be a B.O.B. stroller. A little research is needed to figure out which one but did you know they have a B.O.B. Ironman?! I've heard the front tire being able to swivel is key and I don't know if this one does that or not. These things are not cheap either. How are we ever going to save for college?
On the food front I've been watching what goes into my mouth a tad more than last week. No major changes by any stretch but a few more veggies have worked there way into my meals. Not really tracking at all. it's going to be strange to get on the scale on Friday. I'll likely either be up or down and either will have an effect. I guess we'll see what happens!

And on the fitness front. I'm thinking of signing up for a Tri for Fun. This is the same one I did (twice) last summer. The first one is on June 20th (they do three every summer) and, call me crazy, but from my vantage point (on my couch!) it seems doable. I'd rather not do it alone so if you're up for it let me know! It's only a sprint distance, the swim is a scant 1/4 mile (about 7 minutes), the bike is relatively flat (only one tiny hill) and the run is on a trail (though not flat). Come on, you know you want to! I'm thinking a little tri action will get my ass off the couch and out for some exercise. I'm still a little sore in the abdomen but that shouldn't last much longer. Besides, I can cruise the tri if needed, it's a Tri for Fun after all.

10 comments:

  1. you can do it! go michelle go! tri for fun! having a goal to work toward is always easier, i think. a little bit of motivation, a little bit of guilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that I am mostly staring at Marek instead of paying attention to the food/fitness details? How adorable is he?!

    I say put the tri on your calendar and go for it if you're feeling good. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're spoiled... It gets higher or lower than 75 degrees and we freak! It was about 91 at my end of the State!

    Beautiful pictures. I'm glad Marek had a good time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it! Sign up today!

    If I lived in your area I'd be tempted to do it with you. I just completed in my first organized bike ride/event this past weekend and I've been bitten with the bug!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go for it Michelle! Sign up! You can do it. Making goals are important.

    One more thing on the stroller, do make sure to get one where you can choose to swivel or lock the front wheel. There are tons of them out on the market and they vary in price. Find one that you are comfortable with. The prices are eye opening too!! Eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day! Glad you all enjoyed it so much. Nice to hear you planning on getting going out and about. Loved seeing you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are back at it! I think it is wonderful that you are sharing your love of fitness with Marek and including him in family hikes already. He really is handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute is that little guy!!! Love the pic with Dad. Glad to see you are getting out there and moving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is beautiful. FYI the swivel wheels shake badly. It's useful if you want it to double as a mall stroller, but you still can't walk fast without a shimmy :)

    P.S. Great job on the breastfeeding too!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle