Sunday, August 21, 2011

Change of Plans ...and, People are Nice

So much has happened since my last post...

On Thursday I cut my thumb while cooking. I cut it so bad I thought I'd need to go to urgent care but it stopped bleeding and seemed fine. Still, no gym for me. On Friday I wasn't sure if I could lift weights with my thumb so I took a pass on getting up at the crack of dawn to hit the gym. Bummer. I got on the scale for my weekly weigh in and what do you know? I was down .8 pounds! Happy me!!

We packed up the car and hit the road for beautiful Mendocino. We arrived after 4pm and it was cooold. I guess we won't need the swimsuits I packed! The coast is notoriously unpredictable though so I held out hope for a decent weekend. Friday night turned out to be the worst night ever when it comes to sleep. BOTH kids were on some sort of screaming their heads off routine. As soon as we'd get one quiet and sleeping the other would start. I don't know if it was the cold weather or change of routine or what but Miguel and I got nearly no sleep. We decided at 2am that we were not staying another night. At 5am I still felt that way. At 6am Miguel (aka my hero) took both kids for a drive to let me sleep for an hour or so. I LOVE HIM!

We made the best of Saturday and had a nice time with the kids. It was chilly but not that cold. We had a good breakfast and then went on a beautiful hike toward a waterfall. Miguel and I saw that waterfall last time we were there but with the kids in tow we didn't quite make it. They were getting tired of walking and the adults were getting tired of carrying them so we turned around. Still, the walk was beautiful and the kids had fun running, jumping, and eating wild blackberries.

Here's a picture or two from our trip. First, Marek and his buddy on their bikes.


And Myra enjoying the dirt. She LOVED playing in the dirt.




We let Marek run around in his long-johns and jammies most of the morning. He does have shoes on at least :)


We had a gorgeous campsite with a creek running behind it. Too bad we didn't get to enjoy it the whole weekend but we squeezed all the fun we could out of it given the circumstances.


After the hike Miguel packed up and we headed home. Both kids were asleep within about 1 minute - probably a record. But Marek kept half-waking and crying, then going back to sleep. By this point it was clear that both kids were getting colds. Maybe that was part of the horrible screaming night?

We got home too late for me to go to the gym; I was too wiped out anyway. Thank goodness, thank anyone who will listen - the kids slept all night last night. Today (Sunday) I slept in until - get this - 9:30! Again, best husband ever!!

When the kids went down for their naps I was lounging around kind of feeling like going to the gym when I remembered I planned to ride my bike there. Up! I was excited. Got on my bike and headed out the door. The hill between home and the gym was a tad easier than the last time. I felt good getting over that hill.

I was about 2/3 of the way to the gym when I got a flat. My first flat and I'm all alone. I sit down to ponder my situation when a nice guy rides up and offers to help. THANK YOU NICE CYCLISTS EVERYWHERE!!! We get my tire changed and I couldn't really thank him enough. I rode to the gym, did my back, biceps, core and stair climber thing and then got on the bike to ride home. My front tire was low so before I took off I added some air. Big mistake - I broke the valve stem. Call to Miguel to come get me. While he was coming I hit the treadmill for a 7 minute run and felt really strong - who knows how long I could have run, but he got there and home we went.

Whew! That was a weekend for sure. A cut thumb, screaming babies in a tent, two flat tires - but lots of fun to make it all worthwhile just the same. Oh, and .8 pounds lost. At this pace I'll be to my goal weight come this time next year!! Thanks Kristy for doing the math :)

5 comments:

  1. Nice work Michelle - goodness your kids are cute - but obviously have very well developed lungs :) Great work on the biking and running; congrats on your weight loss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh it's been awhile since I've been to your blog! Look at how big those babies are! And cute!

    I mean it practice those tire changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh it's been awhile since I've been to your blog! Look at how big those babies are! And cute!

    I mean it practice those tire changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought back so many memories of when my kids were young and all of the work that went along with THAT! Thanks for making me thankful I have teenagers! (LOL)...

    I love nice cyclists too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...maybe they were crying because they didn't want the fun to end? Looks like they were having a blast! Glad you did the bike to the gym. Hopefully you get everything fixed soon. Also glad people were there to help

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle