Monday, September 19, 2011

Won't Back Down

I feel like I'm joining the ranks of nagging pain sufferers.  Throughout the day I find myself wondering things like, could it be my mattress?  am I sitting too much at work?  this or that exercise?  picking up the kids?  weak abs?  abs too strong?  In reality it could be a bit of all these things to varying degrees.  I wish there was a simple thing I could "fix" to make it all better.  One thing I am starting to suspect is that exercise mainly helps.

Oh, and another thing, sort of a "duh" moment.  I need to lose weight.  I am carrying around an extra 40 pounds and that has to be hard on my back.  I think it was all the thinking about the back pain and what I could do to fix it that led me to realize losing the excess weight will help a lot.

So I went to the gym on Sunday.  I was doing Week 6/Day 2, two 10 minute runs with a 3 minute break in between.  I dreaded the treadmill so I almost immediately decided to run outside.  I ran outside and man, it was hot!  At one point I decided to go up a hill, whew, that was a challenge.  I meant to take my garmin and wear it during the run so I could see what my pace was but I forgot.  Hopefully for my next run, a "long" run, I will remember it.  After the run I did back and biceps.  None of the exercises were particularly painful for my lower back but I did do more stretching than normal between exercises.  The stretching actually felt really good.  I did the five minutes of stairs.  I was feeling strong so I upped the pace to 50 steps per minute.  After 2.5 minutes I dropped it down to 45 steps per minute.  I left the gym feeling pretty good and I was glad my back was holding up.

Today, Monday, I went to the gym and did 25 minutes on the bike, followed by chest and triceps.    My back felt pretty good throughout.  It's still hurting a fair amount during the day but getting better each day.  I really believe that if I didn't go back to the gym when I did my back would have gotten worse and worse.  I don't know what the answer is but I'm pretty sure inactivity isn't it. 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I agree, exercising AND losing weight will help your back. I always look at each 20 pounds of excess weight as carrying a big bag of rice around everywhere. No wonder parts of our bodies hurt more. Just work on pouring grains of rice out and it'll get better. Yep, that's what I believe, now just have to do what you're doing on an every day basis. Thanks for the inspiration, sister

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep yep yep, what Kristy said! Keep up the consistent work, I hope the back gets its act together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that same revelation, too. ;) I never thought exercise would help lessen or eliminate some of the issues I had.

    Keep on going, Michelle. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle