Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bike, Run, Bike

Man, I was SO tired yesterday (Saturday) afternoon and evening.  It was to be my second day off from exercise for the week and though the swim clinic was exercise I still counted it as a day off.  That's probably why I was so tired.  At least I hope so.  I got a good night's sleep last night and woke up today feeling ready to face the day.

I took the kids to watch Miguel play soccer this morning and then we all headed to a birthday party for one of the players.  There were several bowls of potato chips and unfortunately I acted like a Survivor contestant who'd been living on slugs and crickets for a week.  I peeled myself away from the chips eventually but not before making a serious dent in the chip bowls!  Oh well, what's done is done.  Also, for lunch they served hot dogs.  I had one with all the fixings.  I felt fine about that.  One hot dog on a bun is not a bad choice.

The good thing was I got a lot of exercise today.  Miguel ended up coming home earlier than expected so I had two hours to do my thing.  I rode my bike to the gym (17 minutes) and then quickly changed into my running gear.  I headed out for the 30 minute run and got a taste of what I'll be facing next Saturday.  My legs weren't so thrilled to be running.  And I started getting some stomach cramps early on, though they never developed into anything serious.  My GI system is still not back to normal and it's been over a week.  I hope it's normal by next weekend.  I was a little slower than my last run but did my 30 minutes and was happy.  Back at the gym I did back, biceps and core work.  I skipped the stair climber given that I still had to bike home.  I also skipped the big hill and took the route with the easier hill.  All told I was exercising for two hours straight, which is hopefully enough time to cover the triathlon.  I got home, stretched, hopped in the shower and then geared up for the kids just as they were waking from their nap.

I feel pretty good.  My shoulders and arms are a bit sore from the swimming yesterday and weight training today.  My legs feel good though.  I wrote out my plan for exercise this week but who knows what will actually happen.  I have two evening commitments plus Halloween.  Cherelli pointed out that I should probably do a little something on Friday, just to keep my body primed for movement.  Friday should be a good day to get a little gym time.

Happy Halloween everyone!  My candy plan is to buy some give-out candy tomorrow and then take it to work on Tuesday and unload it.  Marek can keep his but it will be gone by week's end.  I will try to keep in mind what I told myself this time last year.
"Sometimes the justification for giving in to a craving comes down to some version of "I deserve it." If I break that down though, it doesn't make sense. It's a trick, not a treat.

What I deserve is to feel good about my body. What I deserve is the ability to move and be active. What I deserve is to be free from the aches and pains that come with extra weight and lack of muscle strength. What I deserve is to have what I truly want, not what I think I want in this moment."
That's powerful stuff.  I should put that on a tape and play it for myself when I'm faced with chocolate.  A good coincidence is that I shouldn't be facing any big hormonal monthly-cycle cravings this coming week.  Those would push me over the chocolate waterfall!  I might have to go for an all out candy ban for next week, just to prevent any slippery slides.  We'll see.

Well, that's it for me.  Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Great quotes to have around! (um, I may borrow it for my own chocolate issues...)For sure, next time we'll try and meet up in SF for coffee, that would be fun! (oh, if you go to the gym Friday pre-triathlon, just do light stuff...) Enjoy your countdown to the tri, I'm sure the atmosphere on the day and lots of people around will help you power through too.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle