Thursday, October 6, 2011

Training Day is on the Calendar!

We've had a nasty bout of cold, rainy weather these past few days and I've felt like the treadmill has been giving me threatening glares.  I admit, since I started running outside again I have been scared of the treadmill.  My virtual coach and I talked this morning about my run pace and how intervals can help me get up to 5mph (12 minute mile), which is what I'd like to be able to maintain.  She sent me a breakdown of a 26 minute run ranging from 4.5 to 5.1mph.

I got to the gym thinking I would try the treadmill with the intervals.  Incidentally, I was feeling triple tense when I arrived and for no apparent reason.  I got started with my exercise hoping knowing it would help me unwind.  I hopped on the treadmill and started out at 4.5, then 4.8, 5.0, 4.8, 5.1 - you get the idea.  Most of the intervals were 5 minutes, except for the 5.1's, which were only two minutes.  The main thing is, I felt great!  I felt strong and running felt relatively easy.  I wish it felt like that every time!  I went on to back/biceps and core work and wrapped up with 5 minutes on the stair climber and a good stretch.  I didn't mention that my back hurt this morning, maybe 60% of a really bad day.  I think exercising really helped but we'll have to see how I feel tomorrow morning.

On to the really big news!  I asked a local tri group about ways to get a practice swim in before the sprint.  I don't think I'd do the tri if I couldn't practice at least once swimming in the bay in a wetsuit.  Anyway, a local trainer told me about a training day being put on by TriMore Fitness.  I finally got the details today and the thing is, it's this Saturday!  As in two days from today.  Of course I got my butt in gear - I arranged things with Miguel so I can do it (Thank you honey!) and I juggled my schedule so I can to Sports Basement tomorrow to rent a wetsuit.  I'm excited but super nervous.  They said all levels and newbies are welcome but I'm still scared.  I'm at least 30 pounds overweight, I'm barely in shape to do this thing and I'll be putting on a wetsuit and swimming in it (in the bay, which is connected to the ocean!) for the first time in my life...and with a bunch of (probably very fit) strangers. On top of all that I'm slow as molasses.  Eek!  I can't believe I'm doing this but I see no other way.

Here's the schedule for the day:
    9:30 - 9:45am  -  Registration and check-in.
    9:45 - 10:15am  -  Swim briefing & lecture, safety, sighting, skills and swim drills.
    10:30 - 11:15am  - Open water swim, swim of actual course.
    11:30 - 12pm  - Swim review, change for ride.
    12pm -  Bike briefing and lecture, Race strategy, etiquette, safety and tips.
    12 - 1:15 pm -  Bike Course Ride. (Road is open to cars)
    T-Run after ride, all participants - 15-30 minutes on own.
    1:45 - 2pm -  Q & A Triathletes return.
I feel like this is more nerve wracking then the actual sprint will be.  In any case it's done, I signed up for the training day and I'm renting a wetsuit.  This is getting very real.  This training day will be the deciding factor in registering for the sprint.

In the something's got to give department I had a brunch/wine tasting thing to attend on Sunday but I think I'm going to bow out.  I just can't see leaving the kids all day Saturday and then again on Sunday. I don't know, maybe I'll go late and leave early (for the brunch, not the training day).  Well, that's it for me.  I am skipping the gym tomorrow and counting this training day as a workout so you probably won't hear from me again until after it's over.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. That is just awesome that you are MAKING these daunting days (like training day) work for you; it actually looks like an excellent day - and I'm sure you will meet some very like-minded individuals; for many, even the uber-fast runners converting to tri, the swim is the scary, slow part...but wetsuits will help you stay buoyant so you don't have to stress as much. Go out and enjoy your training day!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle