Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Good Choice, Some Good Fun and Bad Timing

Fair warning...I am writing this post after a couple glasses of wine.  Add to that the pms, and that I have a cold and let's just hope I can write in complete sentences. 

But before I tell you about the wine I want to back up a tad and tell you about my gym visit today.  I was on the fence about going, mostly because of having the cold and it leaving me feeling so tired all day.  When it came time to make a decision I decided to go but do a modified workout.  I planned to do a short run, 10-15 minutes, and then do weights.  Several minutes into the run I made a new plan.  I decided to follow Couch to 5k but instead I'd use the walk intervals to run at my current comfortable pace, 5.0mph, and use the run intervals to run faster, at 6.0mph.  So I ended up running for 25 minutes after all.  The good thing was I felt fine.  Having a cold didn't seem to be holding me back.

A buddy of mine showed up and she was feeling sort of bleh about her workout so I gave her a little pep talk.  Not that she asked.  Oh dear, I'm the "isn't this fun?!" crazy gym lady!  But it's so easy to start feeling like the gym is just another chore, another thing that we should do.  Ok, off the crazy lady soapbox.  For now. 

Anyway, after the run I hit the weights for chest/triceps/core.  I did my pushups, still holding steady at three sets of 4 on the floor and 4 modified.  Then on to the rest of my stuff.  I found myself getting bored with the dumbbell chest press.  I think it's time to move to a bench and do the press with a bar.  Even if it's just an empty bar (I think the empty bar weighs, what, 25 pounds?).  Maybe next time I'm at the gym I'll give it a try.

I came home and was making dinner when Miguel asked me what time I had to be at my thing.  What?  What thing?  Doh!  I almost forgot I had a dinner with the mother's club at 6:30.  And it was 6 and I was still in my workout clothes.  Quick shower and change and I was headed out the door.  I made it just in time.  And oh boy did I have a good time.  There were a mix of women there that I knew and I met some new women as well.  All of them were great fun, those ladies had me cracking up with laughter.  I'm sure the wine didn't hurt.  And boy did I eat.  Pizza, cheesy bread, fried calamari, sweet potato fries...there was an endless amount of food!  You know I have no willpower when I drink so I had a bit (or, maybe more than a bit?) of everything.  And after all that we shared a chocolate brownie sundae.  Yummmy! 

And all I can say is, thank goodness I went to the gym!  I would feel like a total slug if I hadn't worked out today.  Unfortunately my timing sucks though because tomorrow is weigh-in Friday.  I have a feeling it's not going to be the week I drop into the 160s.  But at this moment, I feel it was totally worth it.  Tomorrow, when my head is clear, when the wine has totally worn off and the stark reality of the scale is staring me in the face - well, hopefully the memory of the laughter and chocolate sundae will help ease the pain. 

Night all!

1 comment:

  1. Calories eaten while having fun are well worth it. Glad you had such a wonderful time. Also, yay for you for going to the gym even when you kinda didn't want to.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle