Thursday, April 26, 2012

First Run

Today was another good day.  I made good food choices all day and I got a couple compliments on how trim I'm getting, which is always nice.  After work I headed to the gym.  I decided to go ahead and do a short run on the treadmill in the new shoes to see how it felt.  After my warmup walk I started running and almost immediately my left calf starts aching.  You might remember I said I was walking funny on my left foot when I wore the shoes on Tuesday.  I don't know if I was walking funny because my calf was acting up or my calf acted up because I was walking funny.  Either way, it started to ache but I decided to keep running and see how it did.  As I ran it got better and better, not completely going away but almost.  The difference in the shoes definitely made things feel different, but not necessarily bad.  I'd planned to run a mile but kept going until I hit 15 minutes.  I definitely felt like I could keep running but I didn't want to push it in case my calves were sore later (they're not - good sign!).  The running felt good and now I'm looking forward to getting these guys out on the road!

After the run I hopped on the bike for 10 minutes to total 25 minutes of cardio.  Then I started in with back/biceps/core work.  The physical therapist asked me not to do anything that aggravates my shoulders for now.  But I didn't listen.  I know, I suck.  I just didn't feel right skipping the assisted pullups altogether.  So I did them - but at our next appointment I'll ask for an alternative and do that instead.  I want to do real pullups one day so I know I need to follow the PTs advice.

I had a great workout today!  I actually remembered to have an AccelGel about 15 minutes beforehand so I think that's part of it.  I don't want to eat them before every workout but on those days when I didn't have a substantial afternoon snack, or none at all, they really help.  Oh, and weigh-in tomorrow morning.  Thinking positive scale thoughts.

That's it for me, It's 10:06 and I'm headed to bed.  Only 6 minutes behind schedule.  Oh, and we had a nearly drama free bedtime from the little man tonight.  We've been buckling down on the bedtime so I hope this means we're turning a corner!

2 comments:

  1. Thinking positive scale thoughts for you for sure! But it sounds like you took command of your workouts and food choices so I'm sure you'll lose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be curious to see how you like the Brooks. I've recently switched to the lower heel drop and really like them although my calves were very tight and sore for some time. I just purchased my second pair of Saucony's but I'm really curious about the Brooks, even though I went with a men's shoe this time I still think the toe box is narrower than I would like.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle