Monday, April 16, 2012

My Body Needs a Break

Damn, my body was not happy today.  On top of that I woke up this morning with a tinge of sore throat.  Now I feel a bit silly for exercising 5 days in a row last week.  How many times have I said that my body does not do well when I go more than three days in a row?  And I did five.  Ugh.  So I spent half the day trying to figure out what I should do.  What I wanted to do was exercise today and then take Tuesday and Wednesday off.  That way I'd get 2 days in a row off but keep on my schedule for the remainder of the week.  While I wasn't convinced it was a good idea to go to the gym today at all, in the end I decided to go but to take things light.  I felt proud of myself for getting out of the yes/no thinking and coming up with an alternative that seemed workable.  The other thing pushing me was being almost out of points and wanting to eat dinner.

So I got to the gym and due up on my schedule was 25 minutes on the bike followed by back/biceps/core work.  I got on the bike and was thinking of "taking it light" by lowering the level from 7 to 6.  But 6 still looked pretty challenging and I knew a challenge wasn't what I needed.  I was also reminded of a funny exchange I had recently.  I was talking with the owner of the gym, Mark, and one of the staff, Glenn, about the Cinderella Classic.  Somehow we got to talking about food...

Mark:  So, did you eat a bigger breakfast to prepare you for the ride?
Me:  Pretty much, I had a larger than normal bowl of Special K.
Glenn:  What'd you do, have 2/3 of a cup instead of 1/2 a cup?

Busted.  I never said I wasn't rigid.  So yeah, I happily decided to do level to 5.  And it turned out to be perfect.  I was still challenged a bit but mostly I was just cruising along at a fast rpm without much resistance.  After the bike I did my bicep curls, assisted pull-ups, etc.  I did the plank, decline crunches (now I'm doing them with a 10 pound weight!), etc for core.  I felt much better energy and mood-wise than when I'd arrived but was also still feeling a bit sore and tight, especially in my hamstrings.

So that's it, I'm taking tomorrow and Wednesday off.  Oh, the horror!  I have to watch my eating because I have almost NO weekly points left.  Staying within my daily points is a challenge.  But I'm not going to worry about it.  Worrying about possibly being hungry in the future is not helpful. In fact, it's sabotage thinking.  I know I can get all the food I need, I will make choices, no one is forcing me to do this.  If I am hungry, and if it is beyond normal between-meal hunger, I will eat.  Seems simple enough, right?

6 comments:

  1. How about this for a mind challenge for the next few days? Come up with creative satisfying snacks worth around 100-150 calories/1-2 points. And maybe even ones the kids can help make...fruit-veggie faces or animals come to mind. Just an idea xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for double posting, but I bet those laughing cow wedges are perfect for sticking things on and together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been taking it easier every 4th week? That will help keep your immune system - and motivation strong - and it's a natural way to train-increase stressload over a 2-3 week period, then a week easier to recover and re-build....? You are doing awesome generally so keep it balanced!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know the recommended crossfit schedule is 3 days of workouts & one day of rest? I can't do that bc of my work schedule but I do stagger a bit with yoga in between. Thought it was interesting to hear you say that about your body not liking more than 3!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristy - that's a great idea. I should come up with a fun lunch the kids can help with on Wednesday and then we can picnic in the back yard. It's supposed to be a gorgeous day!

    Cherelli - I haven't been cutting back every 4th week, LOVE that idea. If I make it part of the plan I think I could handle doing less. How should I cut back? Do easier stuff the 4th week? Like take some zumba classes and stuff? Or do the same stuff but less volume? and/or less intensity? Do tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's difficult to workout when one feels sick and sore but good for you for getting out there and working out at an easy pace.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle