Wednesday, May 30, 2012

6.3 is the new 6

I'm going to start this blog post knowing that I probably won't be able to finish it.  And times are tight these days because we're leaving on a weekend camping trip tomorrow.  Ok, so I better get to it.  Monday was a good day.  Miguel went to play golf and I got to hang out with the kids at home.  Marek had a friend over all morning and they had a lot of fun playing.  But, man, those kids are exhausting!  When Miguel came home I did not feel like going to the gym.  The thought of sitting on the stationary bike wasn't very exciting.  But the thought of riding a real bike sounded fun so I decided I'd ride my bike to the gym, lift weights, and then ride my bike home.  Cardio + Strength Training + some outdoors = Winning.  On the way there I decided to bypass the new "easy" bikepath route and take the old route which includes a hill.  I got there and did chest/triceps/core for strength training.  Pushups are still a nice challenge.  Miguel tells me I should start doing them every morning if I want them to get easier.  I don't know, pushups before coffee doesn't sound like my style.  I rode the bike home and again opted to take the route with a hill.  This is a big hill and it's actually getting easier.  I'm getting closer to being ready to try a really big hill soon.

My eating has been pretty good, I'm spreading my points out more evenly throughout the week and I have to admit, it feels weird.  I'm used to indulging big on the weekends and then having to be near perfect the rest of the week.  This way I feel like I'm indulging every day (though in a smaller way).  Different.  We'll see if/how this affects the scale.  Though not this week.  I'm about to start my TTOTM and between that and missing my normal Friday weigh-in day things will be wonky this week.  I'm trying to decide if I'll go to a meeting tomorrow (a day early) or Monday (3 days late).  Probably Monday just because of lack of time.

On to Tuesday...I went to the gym in the late afternoon and I was SUPER pressed for time.  I had to pick the kids up in 45 minutes so I did a 15 minute run on the treadmill.  I wanted to squeeze all I could out of it so instead of starting at 5mph and working up to 6mph I just started at 6mph.  It was a challenge but I was able to do it and didn't feel like I was dying.  In the last 30 seconds or so I increased the speed to 6.3 and was surprised it felt manageable.  Happy dance, happy dance.  I can get faster!  Granted it was only for 30 seconds but I'm going to start working that pace in for intervals.  I someday want to get up to 6.7mph, I'd LOVE to be able to maintain a 9 minute-per-mile pace for a 5k!

Anyway, after the 15 minute run I started into strength training.  I didn't have time to do my full workout so I did two sets of everything instead of three.  I got another question from a fellow gym-goer asking me if I'm training for something.  Are these guys all conspiring to make me feel like a rock star?!  I told him about my upcoming events but what I should have told him is that I'm usually in a hurry and have to move quick, which is obviously making me look hard core when really I'm just rushed.  And hard core, of course, right?  Ah, just go with it.

So I finish up and rush to the car and see a text from Miguel - he can pick up the kids.  Hallelujah!  I go back inside, do the rest of the sets I couldn't do before and then hop back on the treadmill for 10 minutes of running at 6.0mph.  I again upped it to 6.3 for 30 seconds at the end.  Good stuff, and a good husband.

Baby #2 is awake so I'd better run.  Next time I check in will be post-camping.  Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. see? Thats what happens when you LIVE for the gym/exercise/thrill of it! You just want more! You HAD to go back when you got the chance. Love it..thanks again for reminding me. SOOOO sorry I wont make camping this weekend. Dont tell the kids about the s'mores...or the musubi they're missing. Hopefully we'll get together soon. Sad we're all gonna miss a Friday weigh-in. I look forward to seeing your progress on that front. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle