Friday, July 13, 2012

Following My Own Advice

For a couple different reasons I had a weight gain this week, 3 pounds.  I know I often think I'm going to see a weight gain and then I don't, but this week I did.  I'm doing a little food experiment and that's mostly the explanation for the gain, that and the side effects of the experiment.  I'll have to go into that more at a later time, it's not quite ready for print.  Gaining weight is a downer, and I'm finding myself feeling bummed out/less excited about following my whole plan, at least this week.  I always tell people to think of weeks like this as practice for maintenance and to focus not on losing weight, but on maintaining your weight. So I need to take my own advice and ride this out.  I can't expect to lose weight every week, at least not the way I'm doing things.  I'm not following a strict plan, I'm not on a deadline, I'm not depriving myself, and I like doing it this way, it keeps me happy and feeling alive and whole.  So if that's the way I want to do it, I need to live with weeks like this.  Let's just hope the scale isn't too painful next week.

Now, let's get off that evil subject (the scale).  I'm having a great week otherwise!  Wednesday I took the kids to the beach.   We visited Chicken Ranch Beach on Tomales Bay in Inverness.  We're so lucky to live in an area with tons of outdoor options.  It was a blistering hot day but cool and breezy on the water.


I forgot my camera so had to snap a picture with my crappy cell phone camera.  There's a little river that runs into the bay here, perfect spot for the tots to play in the water.  I mostly just sat around watching them play, which was nice.

As far as my workouts are concerned I did end up taking a class on Tuesday, a Core Conditioning Swiss Ball class.  We did a fair amount of supermans, crunches, supine hip extensions and the like.  It was a fun change of pace.  After the class I did a 15 minute walk on the treadmill.  I upped the incline .5 every minute for a challenge.

Yesterday (Thursday) I did 25 minutes on the bike but dropped it down to level 5 since this is still a recovery week.  Afterward I did back/biceps/core with reduced sets.  I need some new core exercises.  I like what I'm doing but it's time for a change.  I have one more training session to use so I think I'll do that soon.

And finally, today, Friday.  The last day of my recovery week and the first day of my WW week.  I'm excited to start a new week. At the gym I did a run/walk, finishing up with 5 minutes of running at 6.5mph.  Then I did legs/shoulders/core but reduced sets.  I've enjoyed my recovery week - it's nice to have it "easy" now and then. 

I have a baby welcoming party tomorrow and a concert on Sunday evening.  Time in between will be spent with my little angels.  I love the weekends...who doesn't, right?

9 comments:

  1. What a nice life you've created, Michelle. I love seeing the Inverness pics. Takes me back 40 years to my own fun with preschoolers on the bay : ) I know why the few pounds gained this week, and hopefully that experiment brings you some healing on the eating. Just wanted to remind you that you are still 3+ pounds under your previous lowest weight....not to mention the size 6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy. You are always so good at helping me keep the big picture in mind. Or should I call it the small picture? :)

      Delete
  2. size six??? WTH??? lol awesomenesssssss

    BUT keep in mind you don't gain fat that fast...so the weight is something else. It is hormones, water retention, etc. It isn't like you got FATTER in one week. It happens a little more slowly than that. Especially because it will very likely be gone in the coming week. I just had the same week last two weeks with ttotm and i dropped RIGHT after my weigh in. GO FIGURE. It happens. Our bodies are always in flux and don't ever stay very static for very long. Even throughout the day our weight fluctuates for many reasons.

    I am doing things very similarly to what you expressed. I don't deprive myself and I try to live how I can live forever. It is rough at times when I don't get the results I want, but as long as I keep moving and don't overindulge (going beyond points and such), it all evens out. Just slows the process some maybe, but I'm happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, crazy right? Sizes are so weird though. I am wearing some size 8s, 6s and 4s. The fours are in the brands that run REALLY big, like Ann Taylor Loft.

      "BUT keep in mind you don't gain fat that fast." Great reminder. And "happy" is the only way to do this!!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this honest post Michelle. I always try to find reasons to be grateful for any experience and have found that quest to serve me well as I've maintained my goal weight of 165 (I'm 5'11", for reference) since 1997. When I see some weight gain I can even find gratitude for that. I choose to look at weight gain as a reminder of what I "don't want" and, therefore, it actually serves me well by reminding me to focus on what I want. I've only recently created a weight loss blog myself and I'm inspired by your honest, full-disclosure style. Publicly declaring your intentions (to us and the universe) in writing is a great tool and I hope it makes you feel as good as it does us (your readers).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. When I started this blog it was private so I poured out the good, bad and ugly. Now I don't see things that way anymore - it is what it is and (most of the time) I avoid attaching shame and guilt to the outcome. The blog is at least partially to thank for that. I hope you enjoy blogging - and now I'm off to check out yours!

      Delete
  4. Very good attitude....a gain is disappointing, but it's not the end of the world. You had a good week, you LIVED and you are gonna nail it next week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you're right MaryFran. I could use a week in which I "nail it". And no, so NOT the end of the world. Thanks for the support :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle