Friday, August 17, 2012

Heart's Desire Beach and the Promise of a New Week

Ah, Fridays...the end of the work week and the start of my WW week.  I weighed myself this morning and was very pleased to see 151 on the scale.  Virtually the same as last week.  I've been eating very "loose" these past few weeks, sparked mostly by being sick.  But I also seem to be in a mild slump, which is fine.  I was interviewed yesterday for Heather's podcast on halfsizeme.com and we were talking about slumps.  Her theory is that "dieting" is mentally hard and that sometimes we just need a break.  I like that idea, so I guess these last couple/few weeks have been a bit of a break for.  I've hardly been tracking but I've been doing plenty of snacking.  I know the magic of behaving this way and *not* seeing a gain on the scale won't last forever though so I'm feeling fired up that it's Friday and I can start fresh!

I went to my meeting today for the first time in a couple weeks.  I'd had scheduling issues and then I was sick so I missed my meetings.  It was good to get back on the scale and back into a room where I feel so much support, understanding and can share in the group motivation.  I even shared my before picture with the women sitting next to me, they were blown away.  Heck, I'm blown away when I look at those pictures.  Who was that girl?

Anyway, last week was pretty good.  I went to the gym on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.  Monday went really good but come Tuesday morning I was hurting.  Amazing that just 8 days off can do that.  My legs were sore and my whole body was tight and achy.  But I plowed through and went on Tuesday, doing the bike for 20 minutes (I dropped to level 5, my "recovery" level) and then chest and triceps.  This whole week I'm following my Week 4/recovery week plan - less sets/time/resistance.  After the bike I did chest/triceps/core.  The pushups were hard!  But I did them.  I even grunted some.  I know how much my fellow gym-goers like my grunting (not).  I was happy to have Wednesday off from the gym.

On Wednesday I went with some of my favorite momma friends to the beach with all the kids in tow.  We finally checked out Heart's Desire Beach on Tomales Bay and it did not disappoint.  Best beach for kids, I can't believe I waited this long to go.  I spent the day playing in the sand, flying a kite and chasing down straying toddlers.  It was a perfect day.  And exactly the kind of day I would have avoided, and missed out on, in my past life.

Building sandcastles
Heart's Desire Beach.  Look at that gorgeous weather!
I drove home the long way so the kids would have a bit more time to nap in the car.  Marek was so wiped out that he slept in the car for another hour after we got home!

Yesterday (Thursday), I hit the gym again. I'm still coughing a fair amount, which is annoying.  I suspect the other people at the gym wonder why I'm not home resting.  But I feel fine, despite the cough.  Yesterday was the first time in what feels like forever that I had that "I don't want to go to the gym" feeling that I used to have all the time.  My feeling of not wanting to go was all mental and it scared me a little, I haven't felt that way since I started back after Myra was born.  In any case, I procrastinated for a while and then I went.  I waited so long I wouldn't have been able to do my whole workout but I called Miguel and he was able to pick up the kids.  That was good.  So I did a 20 minute run on the treadmill, which was actually quite a challenge given my lungs situation, and then I did back/biceps/core for strength training, which was also hard but I did it.  Part of the problem was that I had no afternoon snack so I was just dragging.  I'm looking forward to getting my dominance back in the gym.  If I'm still coughing by the end of next week I'm going to the doctor.

Well, that's it from me.  I'm about as pumped as I can be about this being the start of a new week.  I'll hang out in this mild slump for as long as I need to. Even if I stay this weight for the rest of the summer I know I will be ok.  I'm so:close to my next mini goal of 149.9, not to mention to my overall goal, but I will get there when I get there.  As much as I want a quick fix, and I do - just as much as the next girl - I know that doesn't work for me.  I have to keep doing what I know works.   

5 comments:

  1. Hate the cough that won't disappear... You look fabulous BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's super annoying. But it's slowly going away, thank goodness. I was starting to wonder about exercise induced asthma when I was wheezing at the gym. But I don't think that's it, I'm just being my somewhat dramatic self :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thanks for the compliment :)

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you're mustering the strength and motivation to make it to the gym while you're still recovering from whatever that sickness was...and appreciating fun times the kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I can't believe I waited so long to check out Heart's Desire, it is the perfect kids beach.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle