Sunday, October 14, 2012

T - 7 Days and Counting

Phew, this weekend has flown by!  But before I get into all that I just want to recognize my weight from this past Friday's weigh-in.  145.6 pounds.  What the...?  I was shocked when I saw that number on the scale because just the day before I was in the 147 range so I wasn't expecting to see a loss.  The scale is nothing if not befuddling at times.  In any case, that means I am .6 pounds from my goal weight.  This is a goal I've been moving toward for over 5 years, and in some ways, my entire life.  And I have to tell you the truth, with everything else that's come along the way, it might be a bit anti-climactic.  Or maybe I'll break down in tears when I get there, I'll just have to wait and see.  All I know is it's coming soon.  Maybe this week, maybe next.  I'm all about the 2 steps forward, 1 step back when it comes to my weight so it's hard to predict.  I didn't want to post that I am less than 1 pound from my goal weight as if it were no big deal, but I was honestly too shocked to write anything at the time.

Ok, on with the rest of the weekend.  Friday I hit the gym and did the upright bike, random level 8, for 25 minutes.  Followed that up with back/biceps/core work.  Love my biceps, they are getting really strong.  And I'm doing seated rows now instead of the standing dumbbell ones I was doing.  A strong, hard core guy that works at the gym told me they are better and those are the people I tend to listen to.  And I think he's right, I'm up to being able to do THREE neutral grip pullups now (palms facing in).  It still feels weird to grasp the bars, and with no use of momentum whatsoever, I pull my body up until my chin passes the bar.  And I can do this three times!  Or did I already mention that?  Will I ever not be surprised by my fitness feats?  I hope not because it sure is fun to surprise myself.

Saturday was a day off from exercise.  Miguel had to work and I had no plans.  But when I was watching the morning news I saw the Golden State Warriors basketball team was having an open practice so I hurried to get the kids in the car and off we went.  It was a fun little adventure!  Mostly anyway.  Myra was not as interested as Marek and started loudly saying, "I want to go home!" about halfway through.  So we hung on as long as we could.  At least Marek and I enjoyed ourselves.

Today, Sunday, we took the kids to a pumpkin patch.  Marek is Superman this year and Myra is a cat.  They are too cute together.  I was hoping Marek would pick Batman because then I was going to dress Myra up as Robin - how cute would that be?!  Darned kid has a mind of his own.  Oh well, maybe Superman has a sidekick cat, I never did read the comics.

We came home from the pumpkin patch starving!  I ate a late lunch at 2:45pm and then sat around waiting for the food to settle so I could head out on my long run.  I was ambivalent about how far to run.  My training plan said 12 miles but most things I read suggest a shorter run since this is the beginning of the taper.  I mapped out a route that was 12 miles but in the end I decided 10 was better so I mapped a shorter route.  I was a little worried it would be uncomfortably hot out there but it turned out to be perfect.  I'd guess it was in the mid-to-low 70's.  I did a great job pacing myself (I'm finally appreciating how important that is) and managed to have a faster last mile than first.  My last mile would have been even faster except I got stuck at a friggin' light!  So when the light turned green I ran as fast as I could to "make up" the lost time and get my pace back under 11 for that mile.  All in all I had a fantastic run, felt very comfortable out there.  Man, have things changed.

So I'm super excited for my second half marathon that is only one week away.  I'm secretly hoping I can average an 11 minute per mile pace but I'd be happy if I can do 11:30.  I don't know much about the route and hills, elevation, etc so I don't want to make any hard goals.  All I know is, I'm going to pace myself and try and balance enjoyment with effort - the sweet spot.  This week will be all about the taper.  Short, easy runs, cut back on the intensity with the strength training.  I want to arrive primed at the starting line next Sunday.

And then, I'm supposed to be at the starting line for an Olympic triathlon only two weeks later.  What was I thinking?  I haven't swam in the bay since doing the sprint version of this event last year.  And only two weeks after a half marathon.  Yikes!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, i am living vicariously through you at the moment - 1. the haf marathon, 2. the triathlon, 3. the training overall, and 4...I'm not far off moving PAST that goal weight you have set (in the upwards direction!!) Enjoy your Summer sport wrap up, have some great races! You should go back to the start of this year and your first few training sessions and see just how far you have come, you ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been quietly following your blog for a bit now. I love it and you are so inspirational! Because of you I sort of attempt strength training now! (I only say 'sort of' because I still don't really know what I am doing with strength training, but am learning more and more.)

    Good luck on your upcoming half marathon! And congrats on being thisclose to goal weight! I totally relate to the "2 steps forward, 1 step back" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I love how it isn't all about the number for you! It's so inspiring to look at all of the other positive ways in which we can measure success. Meeting and exceeding fitness goals is always so exciting! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle