Friday, February 15, 2013

Good Day Sunshine

I wasn't going to write a blog post today but Miguel has his poker buddies over and the kids are in bed so it seems like a fine time to write.  Besides, I'm almost never lacking in something to say.

I was off work today so after lounging around all morning the kids and I finally got our butts in gear to head to the park.  I packed our lunches and away we went.  The park was crowded and more than a few of my favorite mom buddies were there.  It was in the high 60's today, clear skies, no wind...nice playground weather.  The kids and I had a blast climbing on the jungle gym and playing a little informal soccer with some of the "big kids".  With weather like this it's easy to be in a good mood.

After the park I came home to put Myra down for a nap while Marek and I worked in the yard.  I changed into a tank top and shorts because I knew I'd be too hot in anything else given the 70° late afternoon sunshine.  After a couple hours of that (and near not enough, I've let the weeds get too out of control!) I'd had enough.  Just about then the neighbor girl let me know she could watch the kids so I could go to the gym.  Perfect!  But did I mention my legs and hips are SORE.  Yes, my stellar feel-good workout yesterday left me not so feel-good today.  

Ah but I didn't want to let that stop me so I got ready to go.  Just as I was leaving Michelle texts me to ask about going to the Dailey Method (TDM) for the 4:30 class.  It was about 4:10.  What to do, what to do?  My plan had been to do an easy 3 mile run and then chest/triceps/core for strength training.  But seeing Michelle is always fun and I am sore so maybe I should skip 3 miles.  So I decided to drive to TDM and go for a quick 15 minute run and then take the class. 

In the end I ran even less than 15 minutes, running 1.37 miles in 12:40 for a 9:13 pace.  I felt like a real runner as I ran back into the parking lot and past the people sitting outside at the coffee shop.  I should have yelled, "look, I'm a runner!".  Ha ha.  I even passed some Girl Scouts selling cookies.  Evil people those Girl Scouts.  Anyway, I actually wore my Garmin for this little run and I noticed my pace picked up in the very end - apparently people seeing me makes me run faster.  "Hey look, I'm a runner!"  Am I the only one laughing?  

The Dailey Method class was good.  I wasn't able to do all the leg stuff, my quads were especially not happy, but the rest was a nice change of pace.   And I didn't get any of that stinging pain in my abs despite what felt like 20 minutes of ab work so that's good. 

I almost forgot, I had weigh-in this morning.  I didn't want to go to my WW meeting with the kids so I'm planning to go tomorrow.  Anyway, my weight was 137 pounds.  Down .8 from last week.  Who can explain that?  I can't.  Maybe those bursts of calories put my metabolism into temporary overdrive and everything balanced out?  Does this mean I can go crazy on cookies and ice cream and more cookies every week?  Don't answer that.  

So food today has been pretty decent.  I had a cookie at the park and four pieces of chocolate that I didn't need after dinner but all-in-all I made good healthy choices.  After the kids were in bed I took a long, hot bath.  I needed that.  Now I'm off to put myself to bed.  Not sure what's on tap for tomorrow but with this weather it should be easy to find something fun.

I also don't know what I'm going to do on Sunday.  Maybe another bike ride.  The Echelon riders are tempting me with this:
This Sunday we are repeating our ride two weeks ago and leaving Mikes Bikes San Rafael at 11 am sharp and headed via Java Hut Fairfax over Whites Hill to Rancho Nicasio and return via Lucas Valley Road past Skywalker Ranch owned by George Lucas. It is on the left near the top before big rock. May the Force be with you!
White's hill, that'd be a first for me.  Might have to wait and see how my legs are feeling. 

Ok, that's it for me.  I'm tucking in.  Night all!

p.s.  I found out that one of my FB peeps is expecting (a baby, in case that's not clear).  I don't know if she wants me to name names so I'll just say Congratulations to you-know-who-you-are!!
 

7 comments:

  1. You weren't the only one laughing...I chuckled too!

    Living in Chicago makes me very jealous of the California weather! Although We have had a pretty calm and mild winter. Currently, the thermometer reads 19 degrees...it could be worse though...at least it's sunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. way to look on the sunny side! thanks for the chuckle :)

      Delete
  2. Haha I'm waiting for the day when I can yell "I'm a runner" :) for now...it's "I'm walking really really fast and jogging every few minutes." Too much? I agree!

    Have a super weekend!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, the j word! I hate that word. You run, you are a runner.


      “If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”

      ― John Bingham

      Delete
  3. this has nothing to do with this particular post, but what model of Garmin do you use? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the bike I use a Garmin Edge 305. I like to see how fast I'm going, my cadence, distance, etc. On my run I use a Garmin Forerunner 210. Great for managing my pace and making sure I'm not going out too fast.

      Delete
    2. awesome! thanks! i'm guessing you would recommend the 210 to other runners. i can tell you like it and are happy with it. i'm looking to invest in a garmin for my runs. i had an issue with my running app on my phone today that cemented the idea for me to get a garmin.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle