Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Letting Go to Hang On

I was in a good mood today.  It's funny how sometimes you need to let go in order to hang on.  I'm really working on being gentle with myself around the eating, and recognizing that it's not all a lack of willpower (read: weak Michelle) that's going on here.  Maintenance sure has its own learning process.  I can see how, if I'd just dropped out of WW and never had this blog, I would eventually regain the weight.  It's so easy to get complacent, to slowly move into a place of ignorant satisfaction.  Of course that's not the only way someone can end up re-gaining lost weight, but I suspect it's the most common.

My good mood is due in part to my better food choices these past couple of days.  Things haven't been what I'd call ideal, but they are a big improvement over what I was doing.  Tonight at dinner I wanted a second piece of french bread.  I was already full, I'd made a white bean and chicken stew in the slow cooker and it was very filling (and healthy!).  So I talked myself through the bread urge and didn't eat it.  Each little good choice adds up.  My confidence is coming back, and most importantly, I feel so much better eating this way.

Yesterday morning I got on the scale and it was up to 140.6, or something like that.  The gain was good, it gave me some real feedback as to what I'd been doing.  And I didn't like it, which is motivating.  So I'm doing something about it.  I wish it was easy again, but making the best choices for oneself does not always mean making the easy choice.  Boy do I know that one.  Reminds me of that phrase, "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."

So on to a little exercise review.  Yesterday (Tuesday) I went to the gym and ran for 3 miles.  I increased my speed to 6.4mph with 7.4mph intervals.  Normally I do 5 intervals at 2 minutes each during my three mile run - at minutes 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25.  But I'm trying to ease up a bit on my body this week so I only did 3 intervals - at minutes 5, 15 and 25.  I'll do these three intervals for a maybe a couple weeks and then add in the rest eventually.

After the run I did back/biceps/core.  I felt good as I went through my routine.  The gym really is my happy place.  I went home to make dinner, teriyaki chicken with rice and veggies. I've been a bit obsessed with zucchini lately.  I cut it up in 1/2 inch chunks, heat olive oil on high heat and then add the zucchini with some diced garlic and onion and salt/pepper.  I stir it around initially but then leave it so the sides get a nice searing.  It cooks up quick and is so tasty!  Quick, healthy and tasty - what more could you ask?

So today (Wednesday) was my day home with the kids.  I managed to get away for a few hours for a little side project I'm doing.  I'm writing profiles of local fitness-oriented businesses for my local online newspaper.  The upside for me is that I get to try out a variety of businesses and then share my experience.  I'm interspersing the business profiles with interviews of fit people, focusing on how they got/stay fit, how they deal with challenges, etc.  Hopefully the stories will motivate people to get in shape or try something new or otherwise have some positive impact.  It's not a paid gig, which is nice because if it were I'd feel all this pressure, which I don't need.

I interviewed the manager of The Dailey Method as my first business profile.  I'll post the link on my FB page once the article is up.  Originally I thought I'd cross-post them here too and may still do that.  I took pictures to go along with the article, which also scratches my shutterbug itch.  That one posted above with the Don't Give Up phrase was one of the pictures.  Obviously I didn't take the ones of myself but I'll include a couple of those too.  Is it strange that I'm the only one smiling? 

Seems I should be rolled back a bit farther?


The bottom picture is evidence of why I need a tummy tuck.  I don't think anyone would question me if they look at that picture.  Those rolls won't go away any other way.  Ugh.  Wanting a tummy tuck is better than looking at that picture and thinking I need to lose weight, right?  And my arms...nope, I won't say anything.  Nada.  Zip. 

After The Dailey Method I ran some errands and ended up at a shoe store.  I found some New Balance Minimus shoes on clearance.  I don't intend to run in them, they are zero drop with almost no cushioning and I'm not ready for that yet, but I'm planning to walk around in them to build up strength in my feet and get used to the feeling.  Plus, they're really cute.  I should take a picture while wearing them to give you a better idea.  They are a tiny step above slippers.

After the errands/shopping I came home and worked in the yard for a while.  The weed situation is now completely under control in the back yard but I still need to finish up the front yard.  We're getting ready for spring as well as Marek's birthday party in March.

Speaking of March, it's going to start off crazy.  Miguel is going out of the country for a week and it's got to be one of the busiest weeks I'll have all year.  The timing is horrible but he had this opportunity to go with a friend and we had no choice on the timing.  I've got several mothers club events plus some volunteering.  Oh, and Marek's 4th birthday party the day after Miguel gets home, meaning I'll be doing all the prep work for the party.  Not entirely, my mom has agreed to play co-parent during much of the week so I don't lose my marbles and end up sobbing in a corner during the candle blowing ceremony.  BTW, can you believe Marek is turning four?  I can't.  Good lord I've had this blog for a long time.  He wasn't even a twinkle in my eye when I started.

Which reminds me, my WW anniversary, 2/15, just passed.  I started this journey 6 years ago.  My blog will be 6 years old in about a month because I started blogging about 1.5 months after I started WW.  Smartest move ever.  Not sure I'd even be here if it weren't for all the introspection that the writing helps pull out and refine.  Maybe I should celebrate with a cake?  Mmmm, cake.  On that happy note, I'm wrapping up for the night.  

11 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle, Glad to here you're beginning to do better. I was in exactly the same situation as you, in regards to weight and eating, this time last year. It still hurts to think back on that time. I ended up gaining 20 lbs, the same 20 lbs I have gained and lost so many times (I have now lost 9 of the 20). But what really helped me with regards to the food last year, was 'Brain over Binge' by Kathryn Hansen. You may have heard of it?

    This really helped me to break the cycle I was in. Some of the stuff hasn't stuck, but the way I approach food has stuck and I regained an element of normalcy after I read her book. It may not be for you, but it's just a suggestion.

    I hope your journey continues to be one of happiness and success. Good Luck. You can do it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chloe, I'm going to add that to my kindle wish list. I'd never heard of it and I enjoy books like that.

      Delete
  2. It does feel good to make healthier choices and feel "proud" of those choices after a meal. I too just bought some New Balance shoes on clearance through e-bay and love them! I had worn out my other NB shoes from walking/jogging outside. Good luck and willpower to keep up the good food choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up taking the shoes back. They were cute but I think I'd have to wear them more than I actually will to get the benefits. Just need to go barefoot as often as possible this spring/summer!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are back on track. When I had made it to my goal (however briefly) I realized that it was a whole different ball game. :-)

    LOVE the picture you shared with the inspirational saying!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had fun making it. Maintenance is like a new game. Same equipment, different rules.

      Delete
  4. Happy 6 month anniversary! It's amazing how much you've accomplished! Keep it up lady, you rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but did you mean 6 YEARS? 'cuz that's how long it's been ;)

      Delete
  5. Joyce Meyer's definition of discipline is "doing what you don't want to do in order to have what you say you want to have." Not that we always do not like exercise or don't want to, but at the moment we don't, we need discipline. Glad you are feeling better and so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too because I've enjoyed following your journey too. If you ever need a pep talk, email me Sheryl :)

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle