Tuesday, April 23, 2013

4 Things on my Mind

1.  The official results came in from the Presidio 10k and I am amazed at my placement!

Erin Clark = Me
Obviously I'm not Erin Clark, she's the original owner of my bib (thanks for the bib Erin!!).  So my overall placement was 511/1522, just a few spots shy of being in the top third.  But I was in the top third for female overall (229/988) and for my age group, F40-44 (22/94).  Blows my top 50% goal out of the water!!  I'm not getting that much faster so these must be races with more casual runners. (While writing this Kristy pointed out I'm actually in the top quarter in some placements - woot!!)

2. The scale is up.  I was over 141 this morning.  I think I mentioned we hit two birthday parties this weekend, one on Saturday and another on Sunday.  All that cake and party food is catching up with me.  I haven't been over 141 in ages.  Maybe it's time to buy that total cleanse Groupon is always pushing on me.  Neh, I'm not a cleanse kind of gal.  But maybe it is time to stop with the after dinner snacking that has been out of control.  I think I needed the scale to go up to motivate me.

So I hit the gym yesterday after work.  I was feeling kind of tired and wondered if I should skip it in light of the 10k.  Then I remembered that I was only running for an hour and that's not significant enough to warrant a rest day.  Plus I felt fine physically, not sore or anything, just a bit stiff.  I rode the upright bike on level 8 for 25 minutes, which felt pretty good.  Then I did back/biceps/core.  My back is almost back to normal, still some slight discomfort now and then.

As far as food I continued to make some poor choices last night (that was before the 141+ weight check this AM), digging in to leftover party-favor-candy.  And later a bowl of granola cereal.  At least I didn't have the dinner roll with butter that's been my bad habit of late.  Today I'm going to Thai food for lunch with a friend.  That won't help.  Good thing I'm hitting the gym later.

3.  So we've been having a bit of record breaking warm weather here in the SF Bay Area the last few days.  That means summer clothes!  I've been sporting shorts, tank tops, and skirts and enjoying every minute of it.  I'm still getting accustomed to wearing tank tops in public but with each bare-armed outing I'm getting more comfortable.  I was in the city for lunch last week and I saw a woman with my arms.  She was fit and trim and had my exact disproportionately large arms.  And you know what?  She didn't look bad.  I stared and stared and hoped she didn't notice.

I mentioned this to my lunch date and he said, "yeah, but she's got a different body type than you do."  How so, I asked.  "She's just big boned overall."  I 'bout fell out of my chair laughing.  I'm big boned, aren't I?  Do people really see me as small now?  Reminds me of the person who said, "That's because you have a petite frame" in reference to how clothes fit me.  Anyway, this woman was obviously fit, maybe a bit bigger than me overall but I couldn't see it, and with arms just like mineAnd she was wearing a sleeveless shirt, and it looked good.  I wonder if I'll ever see in the mirror what others see.  Decades and years and endless days of seeing a big girl in the mirror, maybe my eyes are too distorted to see what's there. 

Speaking of summer clothes, I snapped a picture of my outfit today to share.  The weather is forecast to start cooling off again starting tomorrow so I took the opportunity to wear a skirt.  I brought a sweater to wear over when meeting with clients.  I've seen women wear sleeveless shirts in a professional setting but I'm not convinced it's a good idea for me.  I think the strappy sandals and flowery skirt are about as far I'm willing to go.  Oh, my toenail is just about grown back enough to get a pedicure.  Might be on my to-do list this week.

4.  Ok, last thing.  I think I've mentioned there's been mention of me and some mom/runner friends doing a full marathon in October.  This idea was cooked up by Deb and Laurie over a couple post-run beers after the Emerald 12k.  I don't think any of us thought it would really happen.  And then Deb goes and loses her mind, registering this morning and throwing down some serious peer pressure on Laurie and I.  And then Laurie throws her hat in the ring.  Holy cow!  Is this my year for my first, and possibly only, full marathon?!

We'd be doing the Humboldt Redwoods Marathon, set amongst the towering giant redwood trees in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.  I found this race report on Road Bunner's blog (cute name!) and the whole thing sounds doable.  Easy to say from the comfort of my chair.  I did a quick poll of my FB peeps and...


Love all the support, thank you!!  With a deep breath and probably not enough time to consider what it means, I'm in!  Can I start carb-loading now?

7 comments:

  1. Very exciting about your first marathon! You seem to be a natural at running. Good for you!

    As another WW who has been at goal just over a year (lost 93 lbs!), here's my advice for you to take or leave. :) I recommend going back to tracking for a while. Even if for about 4 out of 7 days. It helped me keep my head in the game when I started gaining. I soooo didn't want to gain this weight back so I have been working hard to keep it down for the last 6 months or so with good success. I still work out HARD 6 days a week (I'm a runner too but limit myself now to no longer than a 10k after having two not so fun half marathons) and I've learned that for me, if I stay in reasonable points 4-5 days a week, I can sort of eat what I want the remaining days of the week and maintain. You got yourself here you can whittle your scale number down a bit any time you like. There's my (unsolicited?) two cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'm 100% committed to tracking if I hit 145. Let's hope I can avoid that :)

      Congratulations on your amazing success!!

      Delete
    2. I just saw today's post and I totally get it. I don't want to live my life tracking either! Sounds like you've got things under control. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad my race report helped you out!! I'll be up there again in a couple of weeks for the Ave of the Giants event. I have to drop to the 10K due to injury but my husband is doing the half. I *may* be up there for the Humboldt event in October if I decide not to race a marathon this fall (I'd do the Ave half event in that case). It is gorgeous up there and I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope your injury doesn't hold you back for too long. Speedy recovery to you!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your speedy 10K, and whoop on the marathon entry! You'll do just fine. :-)

    I wish you could see you as others see you. You write about your arms, and I never have any idea what you're talking about. You look incredible! A million people would love to look like you, top to bottom!

    I'm also inspired by your workouts. As someone of the mindset, "I need to train for an Ironman to be fit." it's so cool to see how awesome you've done with weights and regular hard exercise. I'm mimicking your training this summer to see if I can get it as great of shape as you. :-)

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish I could too. Thanks for the reminder. Let me know how it goes mimicking my workouts, I've been happily surprised by how little cardio we really need. I think the secret is to push it hard via some form of intervals (or push hard the whole time if you can!) and then you don't need the long cardio. And weights, weights are the secret if there ever was one IMHO. Keep me posted!

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle