Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Loophole

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

Sunday was a big success. I closed out my blog hoping to go to bed instead of snacking and that's just what I did. I had some serious urges to snack but I held them off. I woke still feeling a bit out of sorts on Monday morning but I was at least happy to have not snacked the night before.

Yesterday, Monday, turned out to be a challenging day. Work was stressful and I didn't end up with time to go to the gym because of open house at the kids' preschool. Phooey on missing the gym. So we made the decision to go out to dinner, eating at a local Italian place. I knew I was cranky, and despite going to bed early the night before, I also felt tired and drained. So I made a decision to eat more at dinner as a pre-emptive strike against the temptation to snack later. Huh?

Yep, you read that right. I manipulated the system, found a loophole and exploited it. I had a small steak, vegetables, multiple pieces of foccacia bread with butter and dipped in pesto sauce and a slice of lemon cheesecake for dessert. That meal would have been fine if I were indulging as part of a special night out or celebrating or something. But this was none of that. This was "eat now so you won't want to later." And not just eat, but eat too much. Man, I have a twisted brain sometimes.

That, combined with no exercise and a grumpy mood just makes for a bad day. And today wasn't much different. I had a late meeting and bad traffic and again, no exercise. It's a good thing it's a taper week or I'd be seriously concerned. I sort of overate again this evening. Well, there's no sort of about it, I overate.I think I'm in a bit of a funk. I'd blame the taper but this started before that. It started on Sunday evening for some reason.

Oh well, such is life. I know I don't have to figure out why this is happening in order to do my best to ride it out. I'm looking forward to the triathlon, I have a feeling it's going to be super fun. I'm driving down on Saturday, maybe Friday if Miguel is feeling generous.

Tomorrow is my day home with the kids. I think I can sneak out for a run while my mom is over. That should perk up my mood some. Otherwise, it's another evening of no snacking tonight and planting a seed in my brain that I need to not trade one problem for another by over-eating at dinner.

---------------------------------
I am a licensed clinical social worker with a private practice offering Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for weight loss and maintenance. I have an office in Marin County, CA and I'm also available to see people via Skype. To learn more please visit my professional website at www.michellefunez.com or email me at funez.michelle@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. I hope you get this latest challenge past you buddy. Have a great tri in Santa Cruz too! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following you for a while, and honestly so proud of you and your honesty! You are real, a human being that faces challenges daily like most of us. You seem to ride out those challenges pretty amazingly! Continue to write I love reading your blog and facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you can work through this loophole you've found in your no snacking mission.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle