Sunday, September 1, 2013

Parties and Running

[Note: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.] 

Tri training is continuing at full speed. It's only 4 weeks until the big day! I'm happy with how training is going. Despite things not going exactly as planned all the time I feel confident that, barring accident or injury, I'll be ready come race day. That's a good feeling.

So, what have I done this week to prepare? Tuesday turned out to be a rest day. I wanted to go to a track workout - which I have yet to experience - but couldn't find a babysitter. Wednesday was an outside run, 3 miles, followed by the gym - legs/shoulders/pt exercises. My back is so-so these days, probably related to not doing my PT exercises often enough. Thursday was another gym day. I was really pressed for time. I only had time for 20 minutes on the upright bike so I upped the resistance to Level 9 for the first time. It challenged me but I did it. That was followed by back/biceps/PT exercises. I was there for a grand total of 43 minutes but managed to get most of my weights stuff done in that time and felt good about what I did on the bike. A goal half-met is better than a goal never set.

Thursday evening I went to a women's cycling information night at a local bike store (Mike's Bikes in Sausalito) where Heather Nielson, a pro cyclist and coach, talked about cycling for women. It was geared toward beginners so a lot of the information was not new to me but I still learned a few things, like how lucky I am that I don't chafe in the most sensitive of places. I still need to get better at descending and cornering and might work with Heather for some 1:1 coached rides.

Heather explaining all the parts on a road bike

Friday turned out to be another rest day. The rest days were a few too many this week but life happens, right? I hopped on the scale in the morning, 141.2 pounds, up from last week. Saturday was a kid day. We had back-to-back birthday parties lined up. I've been eating, ahem, too much lately so I planned out my food so as to avoid a full day of party food. I took snacks and a turkey avocado sandwich with me with the goal of skipping all the party food.

Turkey avo sandwich, cuties, a string cheese, fage yogurt and an apple.
Party #1 was at a gymnastics center and except for a handful of pretzels (oh, and a handful of popcorn), I skipped the party food (most notably the cupcakes).

My big boy on the big swing

My monkey girl with her beloved Mimi (Mimi was their daycare provider and they still LOVE her like crazy!)
Party #2, a pool party, was up next. I got there and was feeling a little drained (Miguel had been working on a project all morning so I was flying solo) and when the wonderful hostess offered me a glass of wine - well, I didn't decline. Miguel arrived and as far as eating is concerned, it was all downhill from there. I never do well Historically alcohol has made it difficult for me to make healthy choices. I need to work on that one. So I had a variety of snacky foods - chips, crackers, cheese, olives, etc and one yummy cupcake. Andtwodinnerrollslaterathome,withbutter. All those snacks were pretty much my dinner. So I made it halfway through the day eating my healthy foods. Again, a goal half-met... (is better than a goal never set - in case you forgot).

Aaaanyway, the pool party was great and we had fun catching up with friends and playing in the pool. I also enjoyed some fun chats with other fitness oriented mamas. Oh, can I mention what a miracle it is to go to a pool party and not fret about my appearance?!

Myra (mid-jump), me and Marek (swimming) at the pool party!

Ms Sassy Pants and I

Ah wine...we don't meet nearly often enough.
My party animals
So, fun day Saturday. By the time I went to sleep I could barely keep my eyes open. And I needed a full night sleep because Sunday was a long run day. I had plans to meet up with some other tri folks to do an 8 mile run from the Point Reyes Bear Valley Visitor's Center to Arch Rock and back. I've done this trek a number of times on this journey and it's always given me huge returns.

We met up at noon (though I was a few minutes late and only saw the other runners on the trail) and given the holiday weekend and the midday start time, the place was CROWDED. I was worried I might also get too hot but with the breeze and mixed shade it was perfect. I started out a bit on the slow side but eventually picked up the pace some.


At the most gorgeous turn-around point ever.
After a few moments to take in the view, and two ShotBloks, I turned around for the run back. It wasn't easy and I didn't run my best but I still had the best day. Miguel had the kids covered and gave me the green light to get a pedicure, and boy was I overdue. But going for a pedicure after a long trail run is a bit embarrassing, my toes were so dirty!

Ok, gotta go, my daughter needs me to color with her.

ps - I'm eating too much. Can I blame tri training? Not really. Must get it together asap.

---------------------------------
I am a licensed clinical social worker with a private practice offering Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for weight loss and maintenance. I have an office in Marin County, CA and I'm also available to see people via Skype. To learn more please visit my professional website at www.michellefunez.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle