Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 3: Is this what detoxing feels like?

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]  

It's Wednesday and I was not in my pajamas watching the kids eat cereal at 9am. I was at work. I wish my employer could see how emotionally painful this is. I wish some people could get it.

So there I was, bright and early in the morning, getting us all ready and making myself a real foods meal.

Breakfast: 3-egg, chicken breast and avocado scramble.

That kept me full for a while.

Snack: Banana, orange

I ended up having a late lunch because that's when I could get to the store with the salad bar.

Lunch: Salad with chicken breast, broccoli, peas, roasted veggies, sprouts, oil/vinegar for dressing

I started feeling tired around midday. I'm making so many changes with this eating routine that it's hard to know what it might be. Not eating enough carbs? Zero caffeine? I doubt the lack of dairy is involved. I got 7.5 hours sleep last night, maybe 7, so I doubt that's it. Anyway, I felt so tired the sound of the gym was dreadful. But I dragged myself there knowing I'd feel even worse if I skipped it.

I started with a run. My legs felt like they'd almost never run before, each step was hard. I had the initial intention to run three miles but quickly lowered my expectations, "just run a mile." I stayed at 6.0/6.1 the whole time, no 6.5 for me today. One mile turned into two when I decided I wanted at least 20 minutes of cardio. Why 20 minutes? I remember reading that it takes 20 minutes to get a serotonin (the supposed "happy" brain chemical) boost from physical activity.

I was so happy to be done with that run, even though I was wheezing quite a bit when it was over. After that I did back/biceps/PT exercises for strength training. More hard work but it felt manageable at least. I started to feel cold and the worry factor about being/getting sick shot up, though the doors to the gym were wide open and it was cold outside so hopefully it was just that.

Between the fatigue, the possible chills, and how much I was wheezing - I decided to take tomorrow off work. I think I need some rest. Dinner was out with Miguel. We had Chipotle, for me that meant a burrito bowl with brown rice (trying to increase my carb intake), black beans (I forgot that I'm not supposed to have beans until Monday), chicken, fajita veggies, salsa and guacamole. It was filling and yummy. The only problem was I felt like I was freezing in there! Not a good sign on the wellness scale. Maybe if I rest I can ward off whatever might be happening.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle-
    I feel your pain on two levels: lessening time with the kiddos and Paleo detox! Whenever something interrupts time with my kids, even really important things like work, I feel a loss. Kids will only be exactly as they are today for a fleeting moment. My boys are not the same boys they were even a couple of months ago and I want to enjoy each phase and stage. It seems odd that in 2014 your employer isn't more flexible. I'm sorry for your loss of time with the kiddos.
    Paleo detox is a bummer, but shows me truly how much junk I mindlessly put into my body to "celebrate" the holidays.When will I learn to celebrate in ways other than food?
    Anyhow, you are an exemplary role model for revamping your life! Even in the face of struggle, you find a way to muscle on. Hug your kids, lean on your husband and call your girlfriends. That'll do the trick.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon, I appreciate the support. The loss is there for sure. By the way, I'm not really doing a Paleo detox, it's based on Paleo but it's different, something cooked up by someone who knows a thing or two and offered through my gym. But back to the kids, yes, it's hard. It doesn't have to be this way. Thanks again for the support. I'm glad you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you changed your diet a little bit. You can eat healthy and eat carbs. You already know that I am sure. I am just very careful with diets that exclude certain food groups. Not healthy. I think that one premeasured treat a day is fine. At least that's what I am trying to do. But I am no expert. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Your feedback helped. I'm still sticking mostly to the "approved" foods but focusing on getting more carbs into the meals. I am careful too, normally wouldn't do such a thing, but carbs are not entirely disallowed or I wouldn't be doing this, just no gluten or processed carbs (or regular potatoes I think). I agree, a treat is fine. And I know I'll be right back to treats when this challenge is over.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle