Friday, March 7, 2014

Exercise is the Star

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

My last post was Sunday...today is Friday. Yep, I warned you I might be silent for a bit given all the party planning. Marek's 5th birthday party is only a couple days away and we're all very excited! This week I did some cake sampling, chocolate making and decoration making. It's a Lego themed party and I love Legos so I'm having a good time with all of it.

My next post will hopefully include pictures of the above mentioned items. I have to include a picture of the chocolates, they are so cute! All this stress and busyness has been a fine excuse to eat, well, too much of not the best stuff. Nothing crazy but just more than I need and not-so-great choices. Don't worry, I'll give a few examples of the debauchery.

And so, exercise remains the shining star of operations. Monday I hit the gym and rode 25 minutes on the upright bike followed by back/biceps/core. I'm looking at my gym-log and I wrote a big DONE! on that page. Must have been feeling good. Tuesday was a day off from exercise. I think that was the evening I almost took the kids to In-n-Out for dinner but then thought better of it.

Wednesday was back to the gym. To give you a sense of how I was feeling, here's my FB post from that afternoon.


I love my FB folks, always so supportive! So despite my dragging I managed to get myself outside for a run. I knew the treadmill would just crush any life I had left in me. I ran with my Garmin but purposefully didn't look at it, I just wanted an easy, no-pressure run. I finished and looked at my time, 28:25 for a 9:28 pace. Awe-some! That's an amazing time for a run that felt very doable, not pushing it, just running at a comfortable pace.


After the run I did chest/triceps/core. That evening I made a bunch of chocolates for the party. And I might have had a piece or seven.

Thursday was an all-day training at work. And as has happened in the past I gave in to all sorts of "bad food" urges. I had a healthy breakfast and then proceeded to eat both my morning and my afternoon snack before 10am. Lunch came and I got fried chicken and onion rings with vanilla pudding for dessert. Yep, you read that right. And the onion rings were perfectly bad. Yum! I also got a bag of "trail mix" (read: candy in parts) of m&m's, nuts, and other bits of goodness. I ate almost the whole bag (which was decidedly not a single serving, more like probably 4-5) throughout the afternoon.

Whew, glad to have that off my chest. Come gym-time I was tired and felt crappy. I'm pretty sure the food contributed to that feeling. But I hopped on the bike and rode my 25 minutes at level 8. Followed that up with legs/shoulders/core work. It feels so good to have the weight training feel mostly easy/moderate again.

Today was more chocolate sampling and a too yummy restaurant lunch of a salad and pizza with sausage, goat cheese and kale. Work ran late and I didn't have time to go to the gym. But I knew/know I needed it so I decided to go after dinner. I got there around 7:45pm and started with a treadmill run. After that lunch and my eating in general this week I was determined to run my full 3-miles on the treadmill.

I started at 6.0mph and eventually did intervals between 6.0 and 6.5mph. I ran the last tenth-of-a-mile at 7.0 just because I thought I could. And I was right. Whew, that was tough! After the run I did back/biceps/core for strength training. I was very pleased that I went, especially given that I might get no exercise this weekend because of the party.

But I'm reminding myself it's all within my reach. If I want to I can get up early Sunday morning and run. Nothing stopping me but me. So we'll see. But you know how I feel about early morning runs. Here's a hint: not good. So don't hold your breath, I'm certainly not holding mine.

Oh, before I close...I got a new haircut and had her go shorter than usual. You might not be able to tell but I also got highlights again. I have quite a bit of gray and it felt like time to do some blending. We'll see if I keep it up. I'm not a big fan of sitting in a salon chair so more time doesn't really appeal to me.

I guess I could mention my weight. It's a hair below 145. With the eating this week I might even go above that. Gasp! It's ok, I know I'll be ok. Because if I'm not, I'll make changes to get back to ok. I love that concept.

Ok, it's 11pm...off to bed!


4 comments:

  1. Yeah you ate more than needed, but who cares! You will always go through periods of eating more calories, then restricting, then eating again. You are fine Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it about those "non-routine" days (like training, traveling, etc) that make it so easy to reach for food we don't typically crave? Whenever I have to drive to our main office (2 hrs away), I crave Cheez-its

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love reading your blog as the ups and downs are so human and relatable! I recently started training for a tri (with the TAG program, and I had no idea you knew coach Neil til I specifically browsed your tri-related posts) and have had a 3 week stint of a cold/bronchitis right at the beginning, and found solace in a lot of your posts. Exercise really is the star and this "resting" thing is so difficult! Thanks again for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Tracy - we all have our ups and downs, but I agree that exercise has to be the consistent thing - and I am struggling with that - I start out the week great and then by Friday I loose all my mojo. :(

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle