Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Singin' the same lines all over again

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed.]

I just happened to be reading this blog post from September 2011 and what I noticed is a theme with me "getting back on track." I tend to focus on the exercise and the food is all wonky for a while. The good news is, the eating falls into line eventually. It's hard to believe that's going to happen the way I'm eating lately, but I'm hopeful it will.

Lately I've been all about the evening snacking. Feels very sabotaging, very non-goal-oriented, immediate gratification, I-don't-care-I-want-it type stuff. And I don't like it. I don't like the way I'm left feeling as I go to bed, or when I wake up in the morning. I'm like an alcoholic waking up with a headache, "How much did I drink last night?" But instead, it's crappy food. Not that I'm saying my issues are the same as an addiction, because I don't believe they are, but there are certainly similarities.

I'm thinking about doing some writing about this. In the past, writing out my reasons for wanting to get my eating back to a more positive, goal-oriented, feeling good kind of space has really helped me. And writing the sabotaging (non-true) thoughts out, with the replacement TRUE thought has helped too. I'm due for a refresher. So look for that in an upcoming post.

As before, the exercise is still going well. My week started off with a bang when I went for a 5-mile run on Sunday from my gym. The route included running up one good-sized hill and several tiny ones and even with that I still managed a 9:59 pace! I was so pleased with myself when I looked down and saw my 5 mile time of 49:55.

And the weather was just perfect for a run, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. While I was running I got to thinking about choosing an event. I need to be training for something. The SF Nike Marathon lottery closes tomorrow so I need to decide if this is going to make the cut. The darned thing is $180 though...ouch! I loved that race but seriously, $180?! Anyway, enough about that, check out my splits and elevation profile for my lovely Sunday run.



Normally I wouldn't lift weights after a weekend run but I had the time so why not. I did back/biceps/core and walked out of the gym feeling happy and strong. Monday was back to the gym for a 25 min spin on the upright bike followed by legs/shoulders/core. Despite being in a bit of a hurry I managed to get my whole workout in.

I didn't make it to the gym today, and tomorrow looks bad too. That doesn't make me happy but I'll do my best to make up for it when I can.

That's about all I'm up to these days. How about a few updates by way of pictures? I'll close out with these...

Got a new summer haircut today. It's short, eek!
What I had for lunch today - Kale salad with grilled chicken and black beans. Yum!
A gratuitous post-work ab shot from Monday.
And finally...my little man Marek graduated from Pre-k this past Friday. On to kindergarten! A couple pics from the big day.




8 comments:

  1. I hear you on the getting back on track. But you can't always plan life you know. Oh well, it will fall into place eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at that flat stomach! I would be grinning if mine looked like that too - well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, you have continued to be a major inspiration to me. You're doing all the things that I would still like to do one day. I just got back on track after a major hiatus and have a lot of hope for what I can achieve, hopefully once and for all. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy G. So happy for you to be back on track. Does it feel good? Remind yourself next time you're a bit off track and struggling to find motivation to get back on, remind yourself how good it feels to be on track. And hang on to that hope, it's all you!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that are continuing to be aware of when you eating may be off track for you. I can imagine it would be easy, once you get into maintain mode, to stop focusing on that. I think our bodies tell us when we need to make changes.

    Leslie
    www.weight4baby.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie. It's tempting to sometimes think, "Oh yeah, I finally got this figured out." But then when I'm eating a second bowl of Frosted Flakes at 11pm at night - uh yeah, still a work in progress.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle