Thursday, July 17, 2014

Goal Weight, Goal Behaviors, Goal Thoughts

[PSA: "like" my blog's Facebook page to get tips and updates on my blog posts in your news feed. I'm on Instagram and Twitter too!]

If you've been following along then you know I've been over my "goal weight" by a couple/few pounds. I'm not sure when I went over but my guess is, it's been a few months. Recovering from the tummy tuck and my evening snacking problem are probably the two biggest reasons for the gain. You might be thinking, "Really, she's worried about being a couple/few pounds over her goal weight?" but what I've come to learn is, it's not about the pounds, it's about the behaviors that led to them.

The number on the scale is an interesting thing. Part of me wants to ignore it altogether and base my "progress" on how I'm behaving and how I feel. The problem with that is, I can get into denial about how I'm behaving and I can convince myself how I feel isn't important. In other words, I can get into a place of, "I don't care," and when I'm in that place 'how I feel' is irrelevant, when I'm in that place, I stop paying attention to my own behaviors - I basically put my head in the sand. The scale can yank my head out of said sand.

So that's where the scale can come in as one piece of factual information for me to take in. Whatever the number, I can't argue with it. I can maybe explain why it is what it is, but I can't challenge the reality of the number. So, the bottom line, for me, the scale still has its place in my weight maintenance. I know women who have stopped weighing themselves altogether, but most of them are years down the road from me. Maybe I'll get there one day, maybe I won't, but I know I'm not there now.

All that said, "goal weight" is becoming more of a concept than an actual number for me. The concept is more about "goal behaviors" and "goal thinking". If I'm thinking and behaving in a goal-oriented way, if I'm making choices I feel good about, I know the number isn't so important. Then again, like I said above...and the two just cycle around like that. So for now, I have this number, 145, and if I go over that, it means I need to take a hard look at my thoughts and behaviors. If there's no problem there, fine, I'm over 145 but all is still right in the world. But if there is a problem (which in this case there is, it's called mindless evening snacking), that warrants some attention.

So I'm on track. Little slips here and there, but those are par for the course. I don't hold an unrealistic expectation of perfect. I know that's just a shortcut to disappointment and failure. I remind myself that even with my plan to track and count calories I will make mistakes. Forever and always. But if I continue to strive, continue to care enough, pay attention, try...I will continue on a path of success.

Speaking of the scale, it was 144.8 the other morning, under 145 for the first time in a while. It has since been back above but I know how these things work. I know if I keep doing what I'm doing the number will settle back into a healthy place.

Speaking of healthy, my workouts are spot on. Monday I went to the gym and did 25 minutes on the upright bike, level 9, followed by legs/shoulders/core. I am this:close to being 100% back since my tummy tuck surgery. There've been two ab exercises I'm still doing with lighter weights but next week, I think I'll be able to step them back up to pre-surgery weights. I can't wait!

Tuesday I went to the gym and ran 3 miles outside, close to 11 minute miles. It was hot, and my legs were a bit sore from Monday, and psychologically I just needed to take it easy so I did. After the run I did back/biceps/core. I even joined in with some gym-buddies for a 5 minute ab intensive, and I'm feeling the impact of that today!

On that happy note, I'll close with a few random pics from my Instagram feed.

Monday's lunch, black bean soup and a half-chickpea/avo sandwich

Max studio skirt, ATL tank, CK cardigan

Snack: tomato, avo, cut up chicken with 1 Tbsp Newman's Own balsamic vinaigrette

3 comments:

  1. This post sums up how I feel about the scale...I know it's an important tool *for me*. Maybe one day it won't be, but that day hasn't arrived. After losing 40 lbs in 2012 (and a few more in 2013), I've gone up by about 10 in the last year. Most of that is that I stopped tracking my food (another accountability measure) but I know avoiding the scale puts off acknowledging what's happening. I'm working my way back into both habits now, determined that I'll get back on track. It's been interesting to recognize the weight at which I now know is just too much (for comfort and confidence). And it's amazing to think that's still 30 lbs less than I was for a LONG time. Sure, I have a "goal" weight...but my "oh shit" weight is something a little higher that impacts me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be obsessed about the scale...but then I started to feeeel my body. Now I know when my body feels like I may have gained weight...so I just compensate and in no time I am good to go. I know a lot of people use the tightness of their pants to meausre--to avoid being obsessed about the scale. Good luck with your great goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not obsessed about the scale. I'm just trying to live healthy lifestyle. I found that every moment of our life is a wonderful bless and we have to just listen to our body and soul. They will direct us the right way.

    I might need a scale only just once in 3 months, just to check how much I weigh. But I usually feel every lost pound without any scale, when I feel more energy, when I see myself in the mirror. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle