Monday, March 16, 2015

I Didn't Know...Thank You!

For several months now I haven't gotten a single comment on any of my blog posts. Blogger sends me an email when a comment needs approval and I haven't received any since...I think December. I didn't think much of it, I just figured people were commenting on Facebook instead. Additionally, I hadn't posted regularly so I thought some of you might've moved on. But last night I decided to check the "pending comments" section of Blogger and whoa! There they were, bunches of them. Some of them from regular readers, others from newbies.

The amount of support and encouragement you've sent over the past couple of weeks moved me to tears. Thank you. I also really love the comments from people that are feeling inspired, that see my story and know it's possible if they don't give up. It's true, the surest way to fail is to give up, it's guaranteed. So let's not do it, eh?

Ok, moving on to today. Wouldn't it be nice if we just made a decision to do the "right" thing and then all our behaviors just easily fell into line? What a dream. But no, we decide and then we waiver, we struggle, we slip and fall and get back up only to slip again. That's the nature of the game for us food junkie types. So today I had a bit of a slip.

I skipped the dressing
I ran a personal errand during my lunch break that was a downer. Still, I grabbed a salad (skipped the dressing) and was pleased to make a healthy lunch choice. In the afternoon I was cramming at work and generally feeling stressed. I had plans to go to the gym but I wasn't near done with my paperwork so I stayed until it was done, which left no time for the gym. Normally I wouldn't make that choice but today it felt right. Whether it actually was right, I'll likely never know.

So after work things got a little wonky. I had two fried chicken wings for dinner and then started eating chocolate wafer cookies (cookies are in the house "for the kids"). Fortunately I stopped after one cookie. But then I started eating popcorn, "SkinnyPop" I think it's called. But still, if you're eating handful after handful on the couch - well, there's nothing skinny about that behavior. Just before starting this post I was peeking around the kitchen wondering what I should eat. Then I asked myself, "Eat or write...what makes more sense?" and so here I am, writing.

This whole thing reminds me of last night. There was a quart of leftover chocolate gelato, half full, in the freezer from Marek's party. Such yumminess. I started eating it, right out of the container, and I could have easily polished off the whole thing. But I came to my senses and put it down the garbage disposal before too much damage was done. And it's not a waste. It's worse, I think, to put food into my body that I don't need. If you want to call it a waste then it's wasteful with a downside, as opposed to wasteful with no downside. The garbage disposal won't gain weight. Or feel like crap.

Aaanyway...so I tracked the chicken wings (6 P each = 12P) and the wafer (2P). The popcorn was 4P, but could have been more, I didn't measure. Oh, and I had two tiny slices of the homemade pizza we made for dinner (9P). What? You thought the chicken wings were my dinner? LOL. I'm now 6 Points in the red. Even if/when I run and lift weights tomorrow I don't know if that will be enough to get my out of the hole. Oh well...at least I tracked everything. We'll see what the scale thinks of all this on Wednesday. But I also know the scale doesn't know everything. Today wasn't stellar, they can't all be great days, but I know I'm moving in the right direction.

6 comments:

  1. You showed up on my email, the black outfit caught my eye........I hate reading long stories(don't be offended)......I have the bible on cd.......I follow you, enough of my dribble. Might take me 4-5 times back and forth but I'll eventually read all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure how I showed up in your email but cool. I hope you get something useful from my blog. Welcome!

      Delete
  2. super awesome, I LOVE LOVE LOVE your owndership, and how you just pick up and move on, also acknowledging that it could've been worse than it was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picking up and moving on is a HUGE skill in the lifelong management of weight issues.

      Delete
  3. Hi Michelle, your blog is inspiring indeed. I'm contemplating how to start my own path to healthier eating and excercising more. I had an baby last june and I just cannot find the time or the motivation to work out or to resist the many cookies we have lying around in the house (my husbands teenaged children also live in our house. So no cookies or sweets in the house really isn't a option). Your blog shows me that, yes it will be tough but also yes, it can be done and it will get easier over time. For now I'm still dreading the commitment i need to have. But I'm building it up. I think. (please forgive me any spelling mistakes, I'm posting from the Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang in there, having a new baby is such an adjustment. Be gentle with yourself, start telling yourself you'll do it when you're ready. And then think about what it will take to get ready. Don't expect the motivation to just magically appear. It gets better.

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle