Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Salami, Surgery and a Social Life

Things were getting better with my back, until they weren't. I'd hoped to get out for a run or something this weekend but it didn't happen. I've been averaging twice a week for exercise, which you know isn't making me happy. But I'm taking my own advice, focusing on a mix of patience and confidence. Things will get better, my body will come around.

El Dorado Kitchen, Sonoma
On the eating front...I'm eating. Some days too much but mostly staying within reasonable boundaries. I'm going out more than I typically do, building up a social life and finding ways to be out in the world, meeting people, trying to have fun. So much of being social involves food. I'm posting a couple pictures from recent outings.

So I focus on the at-home meals as being clean, whole, light meals which then allows me to indulge when I'm either restaurant dining or at a dinner party. Not that I can indulge at every restaurant meal or dinner party, the calories would add up. I use "calories" for lack of a better word - I think you know I don't count calories.

The view from the bar at Coqueta.
Still, I'm not sticking to this as well as I'd like, evidenced by, for example, my eating salami for dinner lately when I'm home alone. Salami, crackers, a string cheese...maybe a bowl of cereal. More salami. These "dinners" are more like grazed snacking and I have a couple problems with this behavior.

First, I don't feel so great physically when I eat like this. I notice my body isn't in the same groove. My skin doesn't like it and my "system" gets wonky. Second...well, second are the calories of course. If my plan is at-home meals that are clean and light - salami must be the complete opposite of clean and light. The good news? the salami is gone, I finally ran out last night. And I won't be buying more for the time being.

All that said, my weight is staying within range...I was 144 pounds last Wednesday. That was a 4+ pound drop from the week prior, which is crazy. I expect it will bounce back up by a couple pounds this week.

Ok, enough about all that... I have a tummy tuck update. After healing from the surgery I noticed my skin was a little funny where the incision ended, near my hips, kind of crinkled up. Apparently this happens a lot so the doctor said he could fix it when I'm ready. Also, I'd paid extra to have my love handles removed but they are still there, so he's fixing that too. I'm scheduled to go in for what I'm calling a touch-up, in July, going under the knife again, hopefully for the last time. I'm sure I'll post pictures after all is said and done.

Everything else in life is going well. The kids are doing great, Miguel and I are humming along with our new life, all working together for the greatest good... And I'm enjoying the ride. I might sign up for a tri training plan, just to give me some structure, even if I don't actually do the tri. More on this to come.

9 comments:

  1. i think the tri training plan would be fantastic for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mix of patience and confidence... thanks for the positive tip, which is what I need right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about holding both, holding that I am not currently functioning in some ideal way, or even near ideal, but that's ok, even while it's not ok, if that makes sense...and holding that I know, I believe, I am 100% assured, that I will one day function at an ideal, or near ideal, level again.

      Delete
    2. Your candor about these issues is so helpful. It helps to know others are experiencing similar dissonance. And you will function at the ideal for you again.

      Delete
  3. I love your realistic and healthy mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I love salami. It's good to recognize how certain foods make you feel; once I started actually paying attention to my food and noticing how I felt after eating, it's much easier for me to just say no to certain foods. That being said, when I'm home alone at night (when my husband works at night, I tend to eat dinner after the kids go to bed), I have the same problem of eating snacky foods for dinner. Cheese, crackers, and meat are a frequent dinner for me; also, Costco has these cilantro chicken wontons in the frozen section that are soooo good, and I can pronounce all the ingredients :) It's 1 point for 4 wontons, so sometimes I'll fry a bunch in a little oil, or I'll boil them in some chicken broth and add a handful of spinach for something more substantial that doesn't require much effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy, I'm due for a Costco trip, I'll have to look for those. I like the soup idea. Frying sounds dangerous for me...I'd eat the whole bag :)

      Thanks for reading!!

      Delete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle