Thursday, March 19, 2009

All About Baby

Eat, Sleep and Poop...and cry occasionally. And coo, and smell REALLY good.

Some pics from leaving the hospital and our first day home.

Here he is in his first outfit. He's all snuggled up to go home!!


And here we are in the car. Dad's loading him in and mom sees her tummy is quite a little pooch still :)

I made the mistake of weighing myself post-partum. At Week 37 I weighed 199.7 and resigned myself to going over 200 pounds, something I didn't want to do. Well, surprise, in the following weeks I gained no weight, even lost a little. I was 198 at my 40 Week appointment! Wow, wow, and just wow. I made it to the end without going over 200 pounds. I was pretty darned close, but never had to move that big silver thing to the next slot on the scale.

So I made the mistake of getting on the scale at the hospital 2 days post-partum, expecting to have lost 10-15 pounds. Nope, 196. What?! I lost 2 pounds after giving birth to a nearly 8 pound baby, plus placenta and all that? The nurse was very encouraging, told me it was probably a lot of water weight, and made me promise not to get back on the scale for a month :) Well, we'll see. For now, I'm happy to be healthy and home.

Here's our snuggle bug in his little nest. Mom and Dad didn't know how to use the Snuggle Nest, those bumpers should be down around his hips. We fixed it later. He does not appear to be traumatized as a result of our error.


Could he be any cuter? I don't think so but I might be biased. Oh! The artist friend we hired, Tricia George, finished the mural now that we have a name. Cuteness x 10!


Five million thank yous for all the congrats and well wishes. I am so grateful to all of you for your encouragement, support and enthusiasm. Helps to keep it all in perspective and just enjoy the moment.

18 comments:

  1. Ok...I had to figure out a username so I can finally leave comments. He is SOOOO adorable! I don't know how you have pictures of him by himself...I would never want to put him down! lol I'm sure you'll lose weight quickly! The nurse is probably right...don't go on the scale for awhile. You looked thin in your baby shower pics...just a little belly of course. =) You guys have turned into super active outdoor family...I'm sure he'll be strapped into some kind of contraption soon so you can hike, bike, whatever. How long do we have to wait to take him camping!?! I have to do some major butt kissing so I can get my dad to watch the dogs...I can't wait to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems so unjust to give birth and the scale barely moves... It will go down. Follow the nurse's advice and just don't weigh yourself right now. :)

    What a sweet baby.

    Welcome to adventures in parenthood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! He is beautiful!! You look fantastic too! I actually weighed MORE after delivering....that part goes away pretty quick ... well kind quick. It was mostly water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is ADORABLE!

    Don't worry about that weight, Your body has been through a lot and there is definitely swelling that will go down. and you'll pee like there's no tomorrow for a while til your blood volume gets back to normal.

    Just enjoy your bub and everything that goes with being a new parent!

    I didn't weigh until 6 weeks. African tribes always look after the new mum and do everything for her so she can recover and get to know her baby for 42 days...so I think 6 weeks is a tried and true time!

    Huge congrats!
    Love the pics

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you same me his fingers and toes? i'd like to come over for a nibble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. he is the cutest thing! glad you and he are both doing well. and dont worry about that scale. focus on the fact that you didnt go over your "Scary number", and do what the nurse said and give it some time and then see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!!!
    He is too beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure how I missed the anoucment but Congrats!!! He is so cute and I'm glad to hear that everyone is healty and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah...stay away from the scale. I did that with my first and just cried that I hadn't lost any weight at all. GAH! It goes away.

    Again, he is absolutely beautiful. Enjoy it all. You're going to be a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is absolutely adorable!!!!!!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mural is adorable! And the baby is, of course, so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. omg he is too too precious!!! Congrats to the both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats!!!!! What a little cutie and I love the name. Can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my..i want to come hold him. now. he is the cutest ever. do not worry about the weight. it will disappear soon. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. adorable!!! i am expecting (any day now) and found your blog latein the game. i was trying to keep it under 250 and in week 39 (TODAY) went over. :( i shouldnt care at this point but i do. feeling horrible about the weight ive gained. I was losing before the baby and gained 30 with, but still feel like its too much. Anyway , love the blog and you look great to me in the pics. the baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats! He is so adorable. Yes, it is water weight so don't feel too bad. I remember I was so bloated after giving birth that I couldn't put my shoes on. I had to wear flip flops home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats, congrats..Love the name..looks like we got our babies about the same time. we are home from China

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle