Monday, March 16, 2009

Marek Leigh is here!

3/14, 12:18pm.  7pounds 15 ounces, 20 inches long. Perfect in every way.

I went in for my 40 week OB appointment on my EDD this past Friday 3/13 at 5:15pm. Had my first cervical check and was 1cm dilated, 70% effaced. Had some bleeding and cramping afterward, which doc said was normal. The cramping got worse and worse, increasingly intense and long. I started to wonder if I might be having contractions. I went home and by 9pm we were timing them and they were about 2-3 minutes apart. We paged our OB at 10pm but didn't get a call back until around 11pm, doc said to go into L&D to get checked.

We got to L&D around 11:30 and I was 5cm dilated. Was immediately moved from a triage room to delivery. Our doula arrived and I labored until around 5am without medication and made it to 8cm. I was planning to have an unmedicated birth but by this time I was not tolerating the pain well, I was exhausted, and asked about an epi. I was happy to have gone that far but I didn't feel I could handle 2-3 more hours of those contractions and then pushing. The baby was still -4 station. She was concerned that he hadn't dropped at all. She broke my water, hoping that would help him drop. I got the epi and several hours later he still hadn't dropped at all. They tried pitocen to see if that would get him moving but he didn't budge. His heart rate was dipping periodically and I was beyond exhausted. By 11am the doc (new doc, changed shifts) recommended a c-section. He basically said "we don't know why he isn't dropping, it's very unusual so we think something's stopping him". I was so exhausted by this time I wasn't going to debate it. We went in for surgery and he arrived screaming at 12:18pm.

When doc saw baby he said, "oh yeah, this guy was never going to move down". He was sunny side up and that's the only reason doc could see why he wasn't dropping. Cord was around his neck so that was causing the dip in heart rate during contractions when he was being pushed down but not moving. Doc diagnosed "failure to engage" as reason for needing c-section.

I was blown away at hearing him scream. Miguel got up and watched them take care of him and they brought him over and laid him on me. I stared in awe. Miguel left with him while they stitched me up. Miguel and baby came back to recovery and we nursed him right away, he's an amazing nurser!

I didn't have the labor and delivery I hoped for. My mother had all c-sections and Miguel and siblings were all c-sections so we joked that we were doomed. I'll never know if I had avoided the epi if he would have dropped but I can't complain at this point. Seeing him sleep next to me is all that matters. I have the baby of my dreams and couldn't be happier.

31 comments:

  1. He is BEAUTIFUL. Congrats! So glad to hear you're both doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...love his name, and you guys look great. A perfect family already. Congratulations, and I know you will enjoy every moment of him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! He's gorgeous and you all look so happy. :)
    I love the name as well.
    congrats again and enjoy your beautiful little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like a tough labor. But he is adorable. Have fun and get as much sleep as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! He is beautiful... and I echo glad to hearing everyone is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a blessing that little boy is... give him lots of hugs - I hope you all doing great and your recovery is quick. I can't wait to hear all of the stories, you have some wonderful men in your life - go and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations...you're right, he's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name! He's so sweet. You all look so happy!

    Congratulations, Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. he is gorgeous...you did great holding out to an 8 and the epi probably didn't change the fact that he wasn't coming out...take some time to heal! and enjoy your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. he is gorgeous...you did great holding out to an 8 and the epi probably didn't change the fact that he wasn't coming out...take some time to heal! and enjoy your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!!! He's a cutie and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh what a precious beautiful little bundle from heaven!
    congrats! I am so happy for you and glad to see such sweet smiles!
    will be praying for you as you continue to heal and adjust ...

    Love his name too!

    blessings!
    ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Michelle, I'm getting teary-eyed just reading your happy news!! What an absolutely beautiful baby! Many congratulations and blessings, all around. All the best and enjoy your babymoon, and I hope the surgery recovery goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! What a beautiful baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! He is beautiful and I love the name! Enjoy every minute with him! So glad for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, what a perfect little baby! You all look wonderfully happy and content - what a blessing for you! Enjoy this time and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations that is so exciting - Beautiful BABY BOY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!
    He is so gorgeous and your family looks so happy. I teared up looking at that picture. can't wait to see more!
    CONGRATS to you and Miguel!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my goodness! congrats!!!!!! he is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh WOW!!! Guys do great work!! He is so adorable. It doesn't matter how he got here (c-section) whats important is he is here and healthy!! Congrats to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're right, he is perfect!! Congratulations. I'm sorry you didn't get your story book delivery. I delivered twins, then had a section with my singleton. Sunny side up also, and HUGE head. Sometimes sections can be a blessing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. He is beautiful! You all look so happy together already. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my lord - I can't beleive you've had the baby! I hadn't checked in on you for a while, and thought I'd see how you were doing. I see you are doing just great!

    Congrats on the baby to both of you. You look so happy, gorgeous, and full of love (and of course he is sooo cute too). Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I got teary when I saw the family picture...so perfect! =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh michelle, he is so beautiful! best wishes to you and miguel! you do good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! What a beautiful little boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful family! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations Michelle! I read your blog before you delivered and all that. I just wanted to check today to see if you have!

    And the baby is cute! :)
    - anony (kappu)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle