Friday, May 1, 2009

I Didn't Lose Weight

But I didn't gain either. I stayed exactly the same, 179.8 pounds. I'm hoping my explanations (water retention, etc) are accurate and that next week I might see some movement on the scale. It's always a challenge to work your butt off and not see any immediate outcome. But it's also a chance for me to walk the walk and not look to the numbers for positive reinforcement.

I feel so much better than I did a week ago and I know it's the exercise - my energy level is improved, despite getting marginal amounts of sleep, it feels easier to move around, I'm just feel stronger all the way around.

When I started back to Weight Watchers I would have guessed that I'd change my eating habits first and then resume working out sometime down the road. I guess I assumed so because that's how I did it when I started WW the first time in February 2007. But no, I'm into the exercising but not feeling very motivated to tackle food. That's not to say I haven't made changes, I have. I'm eating more veggies, cutting back on the sweets and generally trying to make better choices. But tracking is non-existent (though I have tracked so far today!) and, more importantly, I'm not that motivated to follow the WW Points plan. Without motivation, everything is harder.

I think this is a good thing because I'm seeing the results of exercise already. With food changes I think the outcomes are slower. Of course, I'm not seeing the results on the scale yet, but I know that will come. This is a reminder that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. If it were a diet I'd be down in the dumps, and though I'm not happy about it, I'm not upset either.

So I used the disappointment at the scale to propel me to head to the gym. I got in 45 minutes of cardio and lifted a few weights before childcare ended at 1pm. After some sweat and endorphins I cared even less about the scale.

Well, I'm off to Trader Joe's to find some healthy snacks. I need some whole grain snacks now that I've run out of Cheetos :)

6 comments:

  1. It's hard to start tracking your food when you haven't for a while. Just give it a few days, then you won't know otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!
    Love the energy in your words.
    Exercise endorphins are the bomb, along with baby love endorphins!
    Your boy is so cute. Maybe we could arrange a marriage for him and Lucy? ;)
    Love hearing your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you feel great, then who cares what the scale says. Im glad you are letting this fuel you into working even harder at the gym. dont worry, you will see those results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, it's so nice to hear you feeling more energized. That's right, the numbers do not tell the whole story. What'd you get at Trader Joe's? And what're you guys doing for fun this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree completely that food changes take much longer to "gain hold" than exercise. I also don't think you can underestimate the energy that goes into nursing a newborn. Keep at it, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally think you are doing a GREAT job getting back into the routine! So you didn't lose. Look at the positive. YOu didn't gain!!!! WOO HOOO! It will all slowly fall into place!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle