Thursday, June 23, 2011

Level 4? I Don't Think So!

Turns out I did go to the gym last night, I got there at 8pm so I had a solid hour to do what I could. I did a 5 minute warm-up on the treadmill and then got on the bike for 25+ minutes. I decided to do the random program again since it was a good, tough workout the other day. In programming the bike I realized it was asking me a lot more questions than the last time. I started to suspect that I hadn't really done level 4 last time as I thought. I set the bike to level 2 and, sure enough, level 2 was even harder than what I did the other day. So I think what I actually did last time was level 1! Level 2 did plenty to kick my butt, there's NO WAY what I did the other day was level 4. Anyway, level 2 started out so hard I didn't think I was going to make it but things got easier once I was more warmed up and I did it! Exercising just feels so good.

After the bike I did chest and triceps, followed by some core work. I am holding the plank twice for 30 seconds, I'm amazed I used to do 1 minute! Looking forward to getting back to that. So far, instead of getting me down my past feats are motivating me to regain them. I had time to do some stretching but my body still felt tight so I came home and took a hot bath and some ibuprofen. I woke up this morning feeling amazingly not-sore and decided a bath and ibuprofen are a miracle!

So today is Thursday and they have that spin clinic I was eying. I called Miguel and he said he could pick up the kids. After work I headed to the gym. I had a gym guy set the bike up for me but realized I could have done it myself, it was fairly straightforward. When the spin class leader showed up he asked if it was my first spin class. Yep, I told him. "Your very first one?". Yep. At one point during the class I think my face was turning pretty red because he got off his bike and came over and told me to do what felt comfortable and not to push myself too hard. Check. There were plenty of times when he said to up the resistance that I happily ignored him. I had my heart rate monitor on and mainly used this as a guide. That and my burning quads.

What can I say about the spin class? I liked it alright, it was definitely a workout. And it was a bit more than the 1/2 hour they advertised! I was talking to someone today about the class and he mentioned to watch out for my knees. He said all the up and down can be hard on the knees. I did a little reading and some people think it's improper bike setup, others talk about the mechanics of it not being good for the knees. Either way I didn't fall in love with it, it didn't feel right for my body somehow, and I'm just not enthusiastic enough right now to risk an injury. So I won't seek out spinning classes in the near future. It was a good workout though, my legs definitely felt it and I burned a good number of calories.

Afterward I stayed for a "core" class that used the Bosu in all sorts of ways I'd never imagined. We did push-ups on it, jumped on it, balanced on both sides (sometimes with one foot!) and generally had an interesting time of it. I had to leave part-way through because I'd already stayed later than planned and I didn't want to miss dinner with the kids. The core class was interesting but from a time perspective I didn't think it was as efficient as weight training with free weights so I probably won't be doing it anytime soon. That said, I got to do three sets of squats (one with two, 8 pound weights in my hands!) and made an effort at real pushups, which I can barely even begin to do, so it wasn't a waste by any stretch.

Speaking of stretch I did some quick stretching in the locker room and headed home just in time for dinner. If there's anything in this I feel badly about, it's missed time with the kids. Working full time with two small kids and trying to get to the gym is not easy. I think I'm doing the right thing. I hope that things will get better when I get in better shape. I hope I'm not being selfish, I hope the happier, more active me is worth it. Writing this is making me feel even more guilty for some reason. I love those little bugs and I don't like to be away from them unnecessarily. Ok, I'll stop now before I start crying.

I was planning to write about a couple more things but this blog is already too long and it's late. Tomorrow is Friday and Miguel wants to go fishing after work so I'm going to be taking a day off from the gym and log some much needed time with the kids. Tomorrow is weigh-in day. On Saturday morning we're planning a family ride with Miguel pulling the kids. And I got some new running shoes. I'll tell you all about it next time.

Update: Weight is 195.5, down 1 pound this week.

3 comments:

  1. What you are doing is right. You may be away from your kids for an hour here and an hour there....but in the long run you will be a healthier and happier mother for them.....which will benefit them soooo much more than an hour here or there! PLUS, you are modelling health....so that hopefully they won't have weight issues when they grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you're doing and I can only imagine how hard it is to quel the mummy guilt. But what you're doing is providing peace of mind for yourself which will lead to a happier you; and don't forget that as kids we were often too distracted with the world to notice what Mum was doing, i think as adults we project way more unnecessary guilt on ourselves thinking that kids notice...but they don't too badly. Plus I love the healthy example you're setting, I'm impressed with the spin class followed by the Bosu - awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time away from the kiddies to work out makes their mom healthier, hThe time away from the kiddies to work out makes their mom healthier, happy, and ultimately pays off for not only you but them! Happier, healthy mom is good for everyone!! More energy to play, better attitude all around, and in the long run more time on the planet to be there for your kids, so it really is a win win for everyone!!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle