Monday, June 20, 2011

Like Cardboard, but with Cheese

A quick post to share a new food find. During my blog hiatus I read The Omnivore's Dilemma as well as In Defense of Food. I'd been reading books along these lines for a while, Fast Food Nation, etc. Anyway, something that will likely be very different in my eating when/if I go back on any sort of food "plan", i.e. Weight Watchers, will be the amount of processed foods I eat. I still have my daily coffeemate, that's as fake as fake-food comes, and will likely still have my go-to processed foods but I'm generally moving away from that stuff. Anyway, all that said to share a cracker I happened upon in Whole Foods a week or so ago.

I stopped during a break in work and needed a cracker to go with my Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedges. On the bottom shelf was this Scandinavian Bran Crispbreads. Here are the ingredients and stats:

Ingredients: Unprocessed wheat bran, rye flour, salt
Serving size: 1 slice (10g)
Calories: 12g
Fat: 0g
Sodium: 30g
Carbs: 7g
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Sugar: 0g
Protein: 1g

So, Wow! I bought them and hoped for the best. Well, they definitely fell into the not bad category. Not great but what would you expect from that ingredient list? I spread my LC cheese on two of them, wouldn't want to even try them plain, and they were not only totally edible but they filled me up more than the other crackers I used to eat. Of course I had a very large glass of water along with them. They will be a go-to workday snack for a while I suspect.

One last thing, I'm tight and sore today. Not horribly so but enough that I think the gym is not a good idea. I'm going to take a walk at some point, either after work with the kids in the stroller, if it's not too hot, or after they go to bed.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I are also trying to go more the route of non-processed foods. We can tell a difference in how our bodies respond to the difference. (like you we still have our go-to foods).

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle