Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Treading Lightly

I'm watching myself very carefully. When you're in that formation stage of a new (or re-established) habit something that disrupts the momentum can throw you right off track. This back ache issue is the type of thing that could derail my whole routine and send me back to the couch for who knows how long. But I am watching myself and don't plan to let that happen!

On Tuesday I got to the gym with just enough time to get my workout done only to find I forgot my gym bag. Grrr. Fortunately Miguel stepped up and changed his plans so I could workout. THANK YOU HONEY! This is my second time to the gym since the back pain forced a couple days off. I did the bike for 25 minutes on Level 3. The first random route was actually too easy so I forced it to choose another one. That was a bit harder but still on the easier side - I decided the universe was trying to tell me something and I went with it. With my new rpm scheme I still got a good cardio workout.

After the bike I did legs and shoulders for strength training. I skipped the plank (but did my other ab stuff) in case that would be too much for my back. After the weights I did 5 minutes on the stair climber. I think I'll make this little boost of calorie burning part of my routine whenever I have the time (this is how my gym routine got up to two hours pre-kids). I left feeling good, only a few little reminders that my back is fragile.

Today was my day home with the kids. I really wanted to get out so we went to the BADM this morning. I carried Myra in the Ergo carrier for a good part of the morning (sometimes with Marek riding piggy back at the same time!) and about the time my back starting aching we wrapped it up. Poor things were wiped out after all the fun and I returned home for my "time off" during their afternoon nap. I was on the fence about going to the gym but as the evening wore on it seemed like a better and better idea. I checked in with Miguel and he was fine with me going (I have to leave before the kids go to bed, man how I wish my gym were open a half-hour later!).

This was the big test because back and biceps were due up on strength training. But first, I did c25k Week 3/Day 5. Only one more day of Week 3 before I move on to Week 4. I just took a peek at Week 4 and all I can say is, I hope I can do it. I felt pretty good today on the run so that's promising. After that I took a deep breath and headed to the back extension thingy. It went well. Only on the last couple of the third set did my back say "enough!". I also did lat pulldowns and seated rows without much pain. I decided to go ahead and see how a plank would feel. I told myself I would do only 30 seconds but darnit, I'm stubborn and held it for 40 seconds. I hope I don't regret that in the morning. My back hurt a bit during the last 10 seconds and a bit more during the last 3-4 seconds. Needless to say I didn't do two sets. After strength training I hit the stair climber for 5 minutes. I really enjoy that.

So sitting here on the couch and I'm having definite back achiness. We'll see how I feel in the morning. The most important thing to me at this point is that I'm still exercising. Maybe the most important thing should be my back and insuring that I don't create more pain by pushing through but I can't handle the thought of being sidelined so I'm forging ahead. The pain isn't really pain so much as it is achy and stiff. There's one aspect of it that's more stabbing pain but that's actually easier to deal with.

Alright, I feel like all I'm writing about is my friggin' back. Back this, back that. But nothing much else going on these days, let's hope I can stop writing about it soon! Wish me luck that I can get out of bed in the morning!!

3 comments:

  1. ok, wth??? one baby in front, one on your back?? with back issues? Did one of your strollers call a strike or something? Sheesh...give your back a break already...though yay you for going to the discovery center. That Curious George thing looks fun.

    Injuries are so hard to deal with when you're in the groove, but they need to heal so you can be back to full on warrior woman status. I was wondering if you did a back soothing routine after the gym if it would help..nice hot shower, good stretch, weight off the spine kind of thing, maybe a little extra heat via heating pad or something. Maybe? Hopefully?

    Glad you're keeping on xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back pain sucks - that fear of doing something wrong and laying yourself out of action for a few weeks is not fun. I'd avoid planks for a while....maybe do some small "walk-outs" on a swiss ball in preference to planks? Or even just being on your hands and knees stretching an opposite arm and leg out as far as you can at a time, focusing on your core and balance? Great effort on working around it, I'm a fan of those little "cardio pickups" to enhance the feel good factor too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope the back ache is better, and soon. I was plagued with those kinds of aches when my kids were younger and had to learn to pick them up differently and also to spend a little more time on the coach. Glad to hear your new exercise habits are sticking. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle