Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bad Timing and a Too Empty Stomach

It's 9pm and I'm so tired!  I'm in bed already and if I didn't have a clock I'd think it was midnight.  Some days just feel this way, like I'm needing an extra full night's sleep to keep things going.  The good thing is I'm off to sleep shortly so I should get some good zzz's tonight.

So my menstrual cycle started a few days ago.   If I understand the way this cycle works it will start again in four weeks.  That's the day of the half-marathon.  The kind of good thing is my cycle has been all wonky and doesn't really start in the normal sense so I'm hoping I'll get by without having to worry about...what the heck do you call it?  Feminine leakage?  How do women deal with this?  Bathroom stop?  Ugh, this blog post is going nowhere fast!  On to a better topic.

Miguel was able to pick up the kids so I hit the gym right after work.  Only problem is, I wasn't really prepared and hadn't eaten since lunch.  I do best when I've had a snack a couple hours before.  Nothing in my stomach for over 4 hours usually equals a crappy workout.  And today was no exception.  I did 3 miles on the treadmill and didn't have the energy to push it beyond 5.0 mph and 1% incline.  I know I can run faster on a short distance like 3 miles, I just didn't have the energy today. 

After the run I turned to my strength training, legs/shoulders/core.  I tried to do lunges but my legs refused.  After a sad attempt I decided to try the butt blaster instead.  I don't like that machine but I just needed to work the glutes.  After doing that and some shoulder exercises I decided to try the lunges again (I'm stubborn that way).  This time I was able to do them.  What did I learn?  Do not attempt lunges immediately after a run, your legs will not cooperate.  I did all my other exercises but it was just one of those days where everything felt harder than usual and I'm pretty sure it was the 4+ hours with no food that was to blame. That reminds me, I need to buy more emergency food (that's what I call the Clif Bars I keep in my briefcase) for days like today.  I'll eat 1/4 to a 1/2 of one of those if I'm desperate with no other snacks in sight. 

Kristy commented that I need to post an updated picture of myself.  It's not easy to get pictures of myself, I'm always the one taking them.  Next time I'm feeling spiffy (which might be Thursday, I have a mom's club event and plan to dress a little nicer than usual) I'll try to remember to have Miguel snap a photo.  I do look noticeably different than when I started and most of my size 12 pants are loose enough to take off without un-bottoning them.  Size 10's are still tight though.  I guess I'm between sizes.

In a final bit of news - I have lost 25 pounds!  Thank you to Kristy for pointing it out, I hadn't even realized it.  I've been saying, "I have 30 pounds to lose" but now it's only 24.  Time is just flying by so fast I can't even keep up with myself!!  I hope I hang on to that 174 weight this week.  My cycle might temporarily mess things up.  But if it happens I'm ok. 

2 comments:

  1. I ran my first half during that time of the month - was not happy!

    Christina
    http://last-weight-loss-journey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on losing 25 pounds! That's fantastic. So happy for you Michelle. You definitely inspire me to keep striving to lose those last 20 pounds. I know I can do it. I also know that it would make running even more enjoyable. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle