Saturday, January 14, 2012

I'm Not Fat (or Obese)

I had one of those "moments" yesterday where I saw my reflection in a mirror and had a realization that I don't really look "fat" anymore.  Well, I'm sure according to some college guys I'm still a "fat chick" but by normal standards I look, well, sort of normal

And in other weight related news, I moved back into the "overweight" category on the BMI when I entered the 170's. No more Obese category for me!!  I've been getting a lot of comments lately about how much better I look and when I say that I have 24 more pounds to lose people are surprised.  They think that I look fine now or that I'm going to get "too skinny".  I stop short of lifting my shirt and showing them the fat that surrounds my core, or the fat on my thighs, or arms...well, you get the idea.  There are definitely 24 stray pounds for me to lose. And I just looked up my BMI and lately I thought 150 would put me into normal but it turns out I have to be 149 or less.  Did they change things while I was away? 149 is a weird goal weight.  I'm going to stick with 150 for now and see how things are when I get there.  I just did some research and as it turns out my old goal weight was 145, not 150, so no, they haven't changed things, I just got confused.  Anyway, for now I'm focused on my 158.8 mini-goal, which is what I weighed before I got pregnant.  Then I'll focus on those last pounds.

So, I had a fabulous run today.  The weather was perfect and I just felt good.  It was a 6 mile run and I did it in 1 hour, 9 minutes.  That means I averaged 11:37 minute miles!   I really am getting faster.  And that included 2 pretty good sized hills.  I ran up the first hill but I had to walk the second one.  The rest of the run was relatively flat.  I felt so friggin' good when I got home.  It's times like this that make me love running.  Who ever, ever would have thought I'd say that I love running.  If you've been following this blog for years then you know that's a dramatically different position on running.

One last thing.  Miguel is working today so I had to reach out to some friends to get my run in.  Having people around willing to support you, and asking for help, is so important.  Most of the time that person is Miguel but today it was my friend Laurie.  Thank you Laurie!  We did a run swap, she watched the kids while I ran, then I watched the kids while she ran.  It was perfect and I am so grateful.

Well, that's it from this non-fat, overweight blogger.  Tomorrow is a gym day and then Monday is a holiday both from work, and the gym.   I wonder what I'll cook up to do with the kidlets.  Something fun! 

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the run! I havent checked my BMI lately but at only 5ft 1 in and 179.5... thinking Im still in the obese catagory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at the high end of overweight on the BMI scale. Numbers make me crazy, but I do understand their importance.

    Awesome job on your run. You are getting speedy!! It is so helpful that you and your friend can help each other like that. I would love to find someone I could do that with.

    Have a fun day!!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle