Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Workout Log and Fried Chicken

Are you starting a new workout routine for the new year?  If so, might I suggest you keep some sort of workout log?  I track what I do each time I go to the gym or for a run, cycling, etc.

I get a few things out of keeping a workout log.  First, it helps me remember what the heck I'm doing.  I have 3 sets of weight training routines and 2 sets of abs routines.  I wouldn't know if I was coming or going without my log. The other thing I do is make notes for the future - as in, "next time increase to 10 pounds."  Or I'll make notes if a certain exercise hurts or if I'm sore.

Second, I get a sense of satisfaction as I check off when things are done and when I write my final time and calories burned at the end.  Having a record just makes it all the more real.

But probably the biggest thing I get is a record to review.  When did I start doing these tricep kickbacks?  When did I last increase weights on this exercise?  How long have I been doing Level 4 on the bike?  You get the idea.  I remember it came in very handy when my lower back starting hurting.  I could look back to see if the back pain issues started at a time when I made workout changes.

What I usually do is fill in all the exercises and weights (copied from the previous time I did them) while I'm warming up for cardio.  Then, once I'm done with cardio I just check them off as I do them.  Like I said, it's rewarding.  You don't have to have one of these "workout log" books, just a notebook will do fine.  Whatever you decide to use I recommend spiral bound - you need somewhere to keep your pen.

Alright - on to the heart of the matter.  My last post was on New Year's Eve and now here we are in 2012.  What have done thus far?  Well, I finally broke down and had some fried chicken.  What a way to start the new year!  Let me tell you how it started...

It was the first day of the new year.  Miguel was off playing golf.  I had a mom friend over for a playdate.  She showed up with a bottle of champagne (Thanks Monique!).  Can I drink champagne and still go to the gym this afternoon?  Sure - I'll only have a couple glasses and then drink tons of water.  So we're cruising along watching the kids play and enjoying the bubbly.  I mention I will be going to the gym later and Monique points out they might be closed - it is 1/1 after all.  That's right!  They are closed today.  Let's order chinese food!  Don't ask me about the connection, I have no answer.

Well, lo and behold all the chinese food places are closed.  All for the best.  So I make a salad and some potstickers instead and I really enjoyed the champagne.  Later in the day I headed out for some errands.  I took way longer than planned and would be getting home almost at dinner time.  That's when I had the bright idea to pick up fried chicken on the way home.  It was quite tasty.  I had a moment's thought about the new year, resolutions, diet, etc thing and then I let that go.  1.  I'm not on a diet.  2.  I'm not doing resolutions.  And 3. Fried chicken is good.  All things in moderation, right?

Since I missed the gym on Sunday I went yesterday - Monday.  I started with the upright bike for 25 minutes.  Man, it's been harder than usual lately.  All I can guess is all the running is doing something weird to my leg muscles.  It's true I used to ride the bike 2-3 times a week and now I only ride 2 times a week but that doesn't seem like enough to make it harder.  Eh, who knows?  All I know is I did it.  Then I did chest/triceps/core work.  I am still really enjoying the challenge of pushups but they really are a challenge.  I even find myself grunting on the last few.  Good thing my ability to be embarrassed is mostly worn off.  My poor kids, I think I might be that mom that embarrasses them when they are older.

So this morning I took a peek at the scale and I'm up by about 1.5 pounds.  No surprise there.  You eat fried chicken, drink champagne, eat chocolate (oh, did I forget to mention the chocolate?) and that's what happens.  Good thing is I have the rest of the week to hopefully pull it together.  But if not, I can tolerate a small gain this week.  Small though - not 1.5 pounds hopefully.

Today I have a 3 mile run.  My schedule also includes the gym but I'm doing a 1:1 pilates session so I'm going to wait and see how that goes before I commit to weight training.  As strong as I feel those free body exercises always kill me!  The pilates is one of those groupon type packages I bought where I get one 1:1 session and 3 group classes.  I've always wanted to try it.  I'll keep you posted!

I hope the new year is going well for you so far!  Remember, slow and steady and strive for imperfection!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle