Monday, June 11, 2012

Cramptastic

Ugh, it's Monday, right?  No better time for some reminiscing about the weekend.  Saturday was a day off from the gym.  But Miguel had to work (he works one Saturday a month).  A couple months ago we designated Saturday as family day - both of us are forbidden from making outside plans on Saturdays.  The only exception being events (races, sporting events, concerts, etc) that are fixed on that date.  Anyway,  Miguel had to work so I took the kids to the annual art & wine festival.  We met a friend and her son and walked around before stopping for lunch.  Whole Foods had a cart so we all had hot dogs.  I shared one with Myra.  Then we hit the jumpy houses for a bit before stopping for frozen yogurt.  Myra has always been a very independent eater, as soon as she could feed herself she'd turn her nose at a spoonful of food being offered.  But hand her the spoon and she's happy.  So they both ate a frozen yogurt and, of course, I helped.  Neither of them could finish and they threw away most of their cones.  I resisted finishing them off, reminding myself I am not a human garbage disposal.  After the festival, home for some down-time and wait for Miguel to come home so we can enjoy the rest of the evening as a foursome.

I was up and moving bright and early Sunday morning.  I'd signed up for a swim class through TriMore Fitness from 8 - 9:30am.  I rode my bike there, it's only about 2 miles from my house, with a plan to run after the swim and then ride my bike home.  It was a great swim session.  I haven't been in the water since the Marin Triathlon back in November!  We did freestyle, breaststroke, single arm and catch-up drills.  Good stuff.  At the very end coach Neil had us all pile up in the same lane to swim, a little open water start training.  I got halfway across the pool when my calf cramped up.  Ugh.  Neil told me to take it was for a week (!!) to let it heal and that I could actually cause an injury if I don't give it some rest.  But you don't use your calf on the bike so I was cleared to ride.  I did some online researching last night and cramps can actually cause a muscle tear.  So this week is going to revolve around the needs of my left calf.  Good thing is, it's week 4 (my recovery week anyway) and I can also call it tapering for my sprint Tri on Saturday.  Good timing all the way around.  More about my cramp later (I bet you can't wait!).

Anyway, I wish I could get faster at swimming but without more practice it's not going to happen.  I'm thinking of doing a weekend intensive in the future to dial-in my form.  For now I'm getting faster at running so I'm happy.  After the swim most folks were headed out for a 40+ mile bike ride.  I didn't have time for that but a couple women were interested in a plan B option.  The three of us set out for a one-hour ride.  Here's the whole crew about to head out on our rides:

Coach Neil in the middle, and the two women I rode with to the right of me.  Can you tell what a beautiful (and hot!) day it was?
We had a great ride and were out for a bit more than an hour, logging 17.5 miles.  About 1/4 mile from the parking lot I blew a tire.  Bang!  It was loud.  I walked back, figuring it'd take the same amount of time to change the tire (maybe more).  We changed for a short trail run, logging 2 miles, half of which I walked.  I was beat and my calf was threatening to cramp up again.  Whew!  What a morning.  I was so tired when I got home I had to take three breaks while making a much needed sandwich. Yummy!

Double meat, double avocado, tomato, Alvarado Bakery essential flax seed bread (3 Points for 2 slices), honey mustard. 
I tried to nap while the kids did but mostly I just rested. I am a terrible napper.  After Miguel's soccer game we met him for dinner at a local taqueria.  I had nachos with grilled chicken.  I forgot to ask for black beans on them so they had refried.  They were pretty good and after my big morning I had more than enough Points to cover them.  Needless to say, I went to bed early last night.

All night I had to move my leg like it was a sleeping baby.  Gentle, gentle.  My calf is so sore that I am limping.  I don't know what, if anything, I'm going to do for exercise today.  Likely nothing.  A good, clean eating day to balance out the inactivity and I'm happy. 

I love you my sweet calf.  Please heal quickly.
Yes, I just wrote a love note to my calf.  It has to know how much it means to me, right?

p.s.  I found more Mud Factor pictures.  I'll close with those.

This is fun!

Happy Monday everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Make sure you're getting enough Calcium/Magnesium=/Potassium, that will help with cramping. Also, it might be a good idea to find a chiropractor or physical therapist that does functional or kinesio taping to help support your calf while it heals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck resting your calf. Just remember how important it is to rest it even though you really, really want to move it. It'll make all the difference in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Meg, I needed to hear that this morning. My calf still hurts like heck but I was plotting what I could do in the gym. I still might go, I need to maintain the habit of going, but I will not do *anything* that involves my calf, even after I get warmed up and it might not hurt.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't want to login, use the Name/URL option (just type in your name...or any name for that matter). If you use the "Anonymous" option your comment won't get posted. - Michelle